Sikhi and Crime and Punishment

Premi5

3 hours ago, Premi5 said:

More questions

If Sikhs had their own homeland / were ruling like Maharaja Ranjeet Singh Ji, and Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Ji, how would crimes be dealt with?

In rural India and I think much of traditional rural communities worldwide, village 'elders' /committees would meet to decide. In India, this is Panchayat. I think that communities such as these prefer to deal with these issues themselves rather than involve outsiders. They see it as disrespect or lack of authority if they entrust these matters to the 'Police'. The Traveller community in the UK and Ireland are much the same I think. 

Would we have 'Panj Piare' to decide (assuming in a Sikh homeland, everyone is religious pretty much 99% and majority of adults are Amritdhari, it should be easy)? What about any minorities or foreigners - would they be subject to same rules?

Also, it seems the Police can be more corruptible. In the Mughal times, I am sure they were. Would there still be a role for the Police ?

How would court cases be dealt with? I think jury seems like a fair and Sikh-like way to decide. What types of punishments would you suggest for more minor crimes like shoplifting, 'fly-tipping'/pollution, social disorder like drunk and disorderly, dangerous vehicle control etc. 

If a man is guilty of mistreating his wife (or the other way around), would the spouse's parents decide on punishment, or would the panchayats communicate and decide ?

What would be better than imprisonment? Community-service type work ? Remedial/rehabilitative classes ? 'Slave-labor' ?

Hoping for views of many including @GurjantGnostic @Jai Tegang! @proudkaur21 @jkvlondon  @shastarSingh @Ranjeet01

In what world would the majority be Amritdhari?

On 11/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, Jacfsing2 said:

I don’t think so, I’m sure Aam Sikh was Sehajdhari and the lines between Punjabi Hindus and Sikhs was much more gray before Singh Sabha. 

I think a high perentage of Sikhs within the first 50 years at least of end of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Singh ji's time would have been Amritdhari, unless they were 'hiding' 

4 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

I think a high perentage of Sikhs within the first 50 years at least of end of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Singh ji's time would have been Amritdhari, unless they were 'hiding' 

If we believe in the Buddha Dal view, women weren’t even given Amrit until Ram Singh, but the other truth is that ONLY Buddha Dal gave Amrit back then and nobody else, (no Damdami Taksal, AKJ, SGPC).