Key findings about the religious composition of India - Shocking

On 9/22/2021 at 6:16 AM, S1ngh said:

This Pew Research Center study describes the religious makeup of India’s population, how it changed between 1951 and 2011, and the main causes of the change. The analysis focuses on India’s three largest religious groups – Hindus, Muslims and Christians – and also covers Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains when suitable data is available.

image.png

Hindus make up 79.8% of India’s population and Muslims account for 14.2%; Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Jains account for most of the remaining 6%. Between 1951 and 2011, the share of Muslims in India grew modestly, by about 4 percentage points, while the share of Hindus declined by about 4 points. The shares of Indians in other religions held relatively steady. Muslims are growing somewhat faster than other groups because they tend to have more children.

PF_09.21_India_Demography_0.1.png?w=640

image.png

image.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/09/21/key-findings-about-the-religious-composition-of-india/

image.png

What exactly is 'shocking' here ?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Premi5 said:

What exactly is 'shocking' here ?

Sikh population is not rising considering it is guru's birth place, their sacrifice and one of the major dharam who disavow the inequalities - be it caste, gender, color/creed etc etc

• Like 1

TFR's are going down world-wide, people are having less children.

There are studies to suggest that by 2100 that the world population COULD be lower than it is today.

We Sikhs are just ahead of the curve compared to some of the other communities in India.

You need to a TFR of about 2.1 to maintain populations but there are countries that have lower TFR than that.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, S1ngh said:

Sikh population is not rising considering it is guru's birth place, their sacrifice and one of the major dharam who disavow the inequalities - be it caste, gender, color/creed etc etc

It's not surprising, and definitely not 'shocking' - communities which become 'successful' generally have a lowering birth rate. 

Being honest, no one other than Sikhs cares about Sikhs (and in this world, you can only count on your own community to care about itself)

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

The problem for the world is the community that seems to be rising, relatively speaking, in comparison (and taking into account birth-rates) to everyone else. They'll need to be looked at eventually... 😅

Gujerat has almost 90 percent Hindu population

This has come as no coincidence since a particular incident circa 2002.

As some Right Wing Hindutva  types will say that "community tensions" decrease very suddenly when Hindus increase their TFR considerably. 

The community starts to behave itself a little better.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Gujerat has almost 90 percent Hindu population

This has come as no coincidence since a particular incident circa 2002.

As some Right Wing Hindutva  types will say that "community tensions" decrease very suddenly when Hindus increase their TFR considerably. 

The community starts to behave itself a little better.

Objectively, this is what's ideal for stability (from a particular narrow point of view not taking into account matters of economic prosperity, social progression, etc). Subjectively is another matter.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Objectively, this is what's ideal for stability (from a particular narrow point of view not taking into account matters of economic prosperity, social progression, etc). Subjectively is another matter.

The West Bank in what is called "Occupied Territories " have Religious Orthodox Jews moving in and they have very high birth rates.

They seem to be out breeding the Palestinians. Other than the PLA management and the big giant wall, I wonder how much demographics has to play there.

• Like 2

Having 3 children families is very attainable for our community and would reverse our downward slide. We have to create a social acceptance and hold it as the ideal instead of the current 2 child norm most follow. Having more kids would also increase the social networks that will otherwise shrink quite dramatically after the boomers go boom. More populated families bring a certain rejuvenation and ripple affect that sort of alleviates certain pessimisms that are plaguing our more isolated and diminishing households. I’ve seen this both here in the west and back in Punjab. Bigger the families, the more camaraderie and optimism.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Maybe this is anecdotal but I get the impression that low birth rates in Sikh families back in Punjab might have something to do with the entanglements that arise between brothers who have to vie for a limited acreage of inheritable farmland. We all know that for those people, accepting one's rightful share is sometimes never enough. It's not the complete picture but I think it's a contributor.

Might be a few reasons:

- Rise in urban dwelling

- Fewer neonatal deaths so less need for more births (a minor reason probably as child deaths probably have stayed low for around 100 years and I am not aware of any in my extended famoly)

- 'Modernisation' - women/families are aware that it's not the 'done thing'

- Effect of Western relatives /what they see in their Western relatives (although I think even in the West up to 2-3 generations ago, it was typical for Punjabi families to have 3-5 children born )

• Like 2
On 9/24/2021 at 5:50 AM, S1ngh said:

the population of sikhs is rising but you have factor in the ones that mature and go abroad , besides they hide us all the time by lumping us in with buddhists and jains , same trick employed in all other countries which is disgusting considering we number more than the jewish population worldwide.

my take is' hum do humare do' istotally irrelevant for sikhs as we are barely replacing numbers and is it not our responsibility to counter balance the adharmi lok and increase the number of good people going into the future of the world ?

Talking to my Mum and Masi ji about numbers of siblings in previous generations it was only two generations back that people were having kids in averages of 7

myself - 4: 3 boys 1 girl

mother - 4:  2boys 2 girls

nani - 7: 5 boys 2 girls

dadi - 5: 4 boys 1 girl

pad nani - 6 4 boys 2 girls

sard nani - 10 : 9 boys 1girl

This false dialogue that sikhs are less fertile , is bogus they are simply being 'good little citizens' and stopping at one or two .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

the population of sikhs is rising but you have factor in the ones that mature and go abroad , besides they hide us all the time by lumping us in with buddhists and jains , same trick employed in all other countries which is disgusting considering we number more than the jewish population worldwide.

my take is' hum do humare do' istotally irrelevant for sikhs as we are barely replacing numbers and is it not our responsibility to counter balance the adharmi lok and increase the number of good people going into the future of the world ?

Talking to my Mum and Masi ji about numbers of siblings in previous generations it was only two generations back that people were having kids in averages of 7

myself - 4: 3 boys 1 girl

mother - 4:  2boys 2 girls

nani - 7: 5 boys 2 girls

dadi - 5: 4 boys 1 girl

pad nani - 6 4 boys 2 girls

sard nani - 10 : 9 boys 1girl

This false dialogue that sikhs are less fertile , is bogus they are simply being 'good little citizens' and stopping at one or two .

There are certain fears, based on the western model, economic and educational. I think a lot of people feel their only chance to have proper resources, to fund a childs caste, I mean miseducation, I mean education, is to only have one or few children. 

Only people with...

A)enough money to put many kids through the extracuricular activities, private schools, tutors and university. 

B)People who receive money per child from welfare and therefore become more and more financially stable with each child. 

C)People that don't care and do it anyway knowing they will have to be the education and extracuricular activities. 

...Have large families or want large families.  Heck most people are so selfish or broke they don't even want one baby.  

If education was being handled by the Sangat, and we were all collaborating more in a variety of ways our tribal ancestors, and more importantly the Purtan Gursikhs, did, we too could easily and abundantly have many children. Or at least feel free to. 

But it takes a change in mindset, time and resources. 

The quakers tended not to have children, but instead adopt from the overabundance of unloved, unprovided for, children in the world and that is a way to grow the Paanth too. 

• Like 1