Anybody read the book by Earnest Trumpp, translation of Guru Granth Sahib Jij

Redoptics

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Transaction is probably the wrong word.

It's like nicking a diamond and putting a bit of rubble in exchange. 

It is taking something superior and replacing it with something inferior.

The Christian mindset is trying to place basic arithmetic framework onto something which is PhD Maths.

I think this is it. 

It's impossible to frame Sikhi within some binary/duality framework upon which the whole of western thought is revolved around.  

On 2/15/2022 at 12:36 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

One of things I am beginning to realise is that translations don't always do justice because translations do not explain the full meaning of words.

Though translations can give an essence, it's never really enough.

Words in Bani are multi-dimensional.

Translations into English makes it one-dimensional. 

There is a whole rhythmic - sound element missing with translations too. Call it vibrations. That you can only get with the original. It's not all about semantics. 

20 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

There is a whole rhythmic - sound element missing with translations too. Call it vibrations. That you can only get with the original. It's not all about semantics. 

A lot of the Bani is compiled like musical verses, it is written like poetry, it can be sung like a hymn, and it can be read.

There are many levels to Bani. 

Our Gurus understood how to connect the human to the divine.

The reason in part why Bani is written in poetry form which can be sung is that it makes it easier to memorise. A lot of words in Bani which rhyme can have opposite meaning for example Dukh and Sukh. 

People that get caught up in Semantics miss the wood for the trees.

I like Germans but their language is not particularly romantic and I do not know any German poetry or songs other than the 99 red balloons or Beethoven. 

30 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

A lot of the Bani is compiled like musical verses, it is written like poetry, it can be sung like a hymn, and it can be read.

There are many levels to Bani. 

Our Gurus understood how to connect the human to the divine.

The reason in part why Bani is written in poetry form which can be sung is that it makes it easier to memorise. A lot of words in Bani which rhyme can have opposite meaning for example Dukh and Sukh. 

People that get caught up in Semantics miss the wood for the trees.

I like Germans but their language is not particularly romantic and I do not know any German poetry or songs other than the 99 red balloons or Beethoven. 

Bani is Guru and Guru is bani