Racism in the USA

Premi5

1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

I've spoke to fair few black brothers and sisters about Sikhi over the years. It was never a contrived conversation  but came about when talking about spirituality and history. Once I went to this young brother's house I working with on a site for my lunch break (he lived around the corner), I was shocked to see he had books on Gurmat there amongst his collection. He told me his father was a practising rastafarian (although he was a mona). 

When you talk about Sikhi and our colonial experience, they understand more than many others. When you tell them about how we went from being hunted down by the most powerful empire of the time, with prices put on our heads, hiding in jungles to survive - to becoming sovereigns, within 70 odd years, many find it inspiring.  

One shortfall I find however is that they see islam as successfully challenging white hegemony and racism in a brave way, whereas some of our lot are only starting to do this on a corporate level recently by challenging the police and protecting 'Sikh spaces' like Gurdwaras and melas (not saying that Sikh brothers weren't directly confronting violent racists in the UK a few decades ago though). It's funny how our community was actively involved in challenging racism in the 60s/70s/80s but went all kumbha yaa as soon as it quietened down for a minute, and failed to teach their kids about that time  - which looks like it's left many younguns shocked at the re-emergence of the far right agenda in europe. 

Mmm. Ground is very ripe to help them move from so called abrahamic systems. All but the best bastions of it at the very least. 

2 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Mmm. Ground is very ripe to help them move from so called abrahamic systems. All but the best bastions of it at the very least. 

Another thing folks need to realise is that whilst many (not all!) people born in the community see things like going to the Gurdwara as a chore, and learning stuff like Gurmukhi and exploring shabad 'boring' other communities are likely to see it like I imagine many of our ancestors who originally stepped into this panth did, as refreshing, and inspiring and something to get deeper into.  Same with the musical traditions. 

53 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Another thing folks need to realise is that whilst many (not all!) people born in the community see things like going to the Gurdwara as a chore, and learning stuff like Gurmukhi and exploring shabad 'boring' other communities are likely to see it like I imagine many of our ancestors who originally stepped into this panth did, as refreshing, and inspiring and something to get deeper into.  Same with the musical traditions. 

It's a lot to do with the old 'fuddy duddys' in the committees worrying about younger types getting influence ? The same younger types who understand better what will attract the youth to Gurdware/Sikhi

For example, young kids would want to go Gurdwara more for 'fun' activities, like sports and martial arts, langar with 'fun' food, good storytelling. 

How are Muslims (e.g. Paks and Bengalis in the UK) so successful in making many of their kids learn Arabic and attend Mosque ?

https://foresthillspost.com/two-sikh-men-attacked-tuesday-in-same-richmond-hill-spot-where-sikh-elder-was-assaulted-last-week

Two Sikh Men Attacked Tuesday in Same Richmond Hill Spot Where Sikh Elder Was Assaulted Last Week

April 12, 2022 By Allie Griffin

Two Sikh men were assaulted in Richmond Hill Tuesday morning in the same location where a 70-year-old Sikh man was assaulted just over a week ago, according to residents and social media footage.

The men were reportedly attacked near the corner of Lefferts Boulevard and 95th Avenue — the same spot where the 70-year-old was punched in the face by a stranger on April 3.

Local community members shared details of today’s assault on Instagram. The NYPD, however, was unable to confirm the assault by the time of publication.

Sikh community leaders in Richmond Hill condemned the assault and called it an act of hatred.

“This is the exact fear we had when this happened last week,” Japneet Singh, local community leader and a candidate for State Senate, wrote on Instagram. “Same location, same intersection, same act of HATE.’

Singh posted a video showing the apparent aftermath of the assault. One man can be seen holding his eye and another is sitting on the sidewalk surrounded by police officers and firefighters.

The two men were taken to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center for treatment and are in good spirits, according to Singh.

Singh said the Sikh community — many of whom call Richmond Hill home — is being targeted and called on state and city leaders to address the issue.

“This is disgusting behavior, and it’s clear the Sikh community is being deliberately targeted,” he wrote. “Calling on @govkathyhochul @nycspeakeradams @nycmayor @queensdakatz to address this ASAP!’

Police are investigating the assault last week as a hate crime and have released photos of the suspect in that case. It’s unclear if the same person is responsible for both attacks.

One person has been arrested in connection to Tuesday’s attack, Singh said.

• The topic was locked