Something I Was Thinking..

good point shaheed, just quick question to admin, does anybody actually know what the avg age of visitors to this site is?

I know people dnt always put their correct date of birth etc, but perhaps a survey or something could be done. At least then you can see what the 'target' audience is, should help in the type of discussions taking place, rather than us 'old foggies' saying that every other question is stupid or already been asked, or having a hissy fit etc etc maybe we will realise that for the younger users it may be their first time here, and if they are asking a question, then they are GENUINLY asking, rather than just causing a fuss or debate for the sake of it.

Lets push being a singh and singhni rather than diff groups as singhs above have said, on a personal note i was around 17 when i first heard of a debate over something called raagmaala, as a youngster getting into sikhi i wanted to know wat the fuss was about. I was told by a fellow singh who obviously knew what it was, that it didnt matter and told me to ignore it and in the future to make my own mind up. At the time if he had said either way i prob would have listened to him. Thankfully he never and guru's kirpa we learnt in time to accept gurbani as it is.

my meaning being that at that 'young' age the last thing u need is to be discussing differences! lets focs on the united panth, gurbani and seva. The rest of the inter-group politics is unfortunetly something whch we pick up naturally as we get older!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we should make clear first exactly what jathas are and why jathas exist. for example...

damdami taksal is in existence to promote and teach the shudh reading of gurbani, to teach arth of gurbani, to do parchar and provide kathavajaks/kiratanis etc to the sangat. They are also an institute where a sikh can come study and devote their life to sikhi for the betterment of the panth. that in a nutshell is damdami taksal.

however, as sikhs, we should not label ourselves as being 'taksali' just becuase we learned from them or becuase we follow their particular view on rehit. This is the biggest mistake we as sikhs makes in this whole jatha problem.

We are too busy labelling eachother.

A bog problem is the kids these days wanting to affiliate themselves with a jatha and putting other jathay down to strengthen their affiliation with their own. This only causes separation.

Anyways, the point is. Jathas provide sewa for us, they are not 'clubs' or 'groups' we fill an application out and join. We learn and get something from them, we dont necesarily have to be them. we have to be a SIKH and thats all. Being affiliated with any jatha wont make us any more religious or any closer to god. They have a job to do, lets let them do it, and lets learn from them.

i might have got off track in this but i hope noone takes offense. Being a sikh is first and foremost. Lets not further divide ourselves and especially lets not label ourselves.

if your gonna go thru with it fine but:

now all these lil singhs and Kaurs who are 13 and under who just started browsing the net will read it and be like yooo this must mean my friend XYZ at skool is akj and doesnt believe in raagmala i shouldnt talk to him..... (or other scenario's to that effect)

im worried that kids will see it read it and hate eachother....whereas we dont poste the info and they research it like we all had to....research will take time and hopefully they will be more mature handling it

88078[/snapback]

Singh this is the thing...

NO MATTER WHAT we will always have contradictions veer.. like your saying that this is how kids will feel towards the others who believe in something else... BUT ... what if they are not told the REAL truth and assume something true about what that person abelieves ??!?!

.... do you get what i mean veer. We can say both sides....

.... i say we make it ... and again LOCK THE THREAD... so its just a INFORMATION SESSION THREAD... just like how they have information about a specific jatha ...(ie. www.akj.org, www.tapoban.org, www.gursikhijeevan.com... etc... ) but instead all this information will be at ONE SPOT....

thats all im saying....

bhul chuk maph!

i'm sorry to say i disagree with u guys saying about 13 yr olds reading it and getting the rong idea and stop being friends with someone. I'm 13 and i'm happy i found out about stuff in the panth like keski and ragmall because i was able to come to my own conclusion about it without any one elses influence, and in no way wud i ever stop being friends with someone if they were in a jatha i didnt agree with. So i think it wud be a good idea to make a thread with all that info.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i think we should make clear first exactly what jathas are and why jathas exist. for example...

damdami taksal is in existence to promote and teach the shudh reading of gurbani, to teach arth of gurbani, to do parchar and provide kathavajaks/kiratanis etc to the sangat. They are also an institute where a sikh can come study and devote their life to sikhi for the betterment of the panth. that in a nutshell is damdami taksal.

however, as sikhs, we should not label ourselves as being 'taksali' just becuase we learned from them or becuase we follow their particular view on rehit. This is the biggest mistake we as sikhs makes in this whole jatha problem.

We are too busy labelling eachother.

A bog problem is the kids these days wanting to affiliate themselves with a jatha and putting other jathay down to strengthen their affiliation with their own. This only causes separation.

Anyways, the point is. Jathas provide sewa for us, they are not 'clubs' or 'groups' we fill an application out and join. We learn and get something from them, we dont necesarily have to be them. we have to be a SIKH and thats all. Being affiliated with any jatha wont make us any more religious or any closer to god. They have a job to do, lets let them do it, and lets learn from them.

i might have got off track in this but i hope noone takes offense. Being a sikh is first and foremost. Lets not further divide ourselves and especially lets not label ourselves.

Excellent points Jee. I was listening to some Veechars by Baba Ranjit Singh Jee Dhaddrian Vale. They raised exactly the same points as you have. If we look at the reasons why Jathas were made, they were all made to spread Sikhi parchaar and spread pyaar for the Khalsa Panth and Guru Granth Sahib Jee. All the great Singhs who inspired the Jathas, Bhai Randhir Singh, Baba Nand Singh, Baba Isher Singh Jee, etc., sole aim in forming the Jatha was to put people towards Sikhi. At no time did they promote their own Jatha above Sikhi, Khalsa Panth or Guru Granth Sahib Jee. Fine, we learn from the Jathas, but our sole application is only to join the Khalsa by taking Amrit.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru

Lets try to think of this from another persons view...

Someone who is TOTALLY NEW to sikhi... and who has no clues of what these jathas are... they can simply believe that these can be just cults ! Why shouldnt they because of how the western world potrays these movements within religions are as new religious movements who may or may not spread the same message but in a different context ... following ?

Sangat has to lay out the information to them, just BASIC information of how they originated, what they believe in .. etc... instead of them going to some random person and asking them about their history...

My two cents..

I don't think we should have a thread distinguishing between AKJ/Tapoban and Damdami Taksaal and Nihung dals, there have always been clashes between views of several Sikh jathebandis even during and after the times of Guru Gobind Singh ji, but they all stuck to their guns and came together during war.

By distinguishing between these groups we are breaking them in small categories which could lead to who knows what. They are all under the Nishaan sahib and are the Khalsa Panth, although each group has its own views towards certain things. We can say what their views are on certain topics but not separate them into 'GROUPS', this is the exact point of conflict when one starts to say i'm from this group or that group, there's no group just one BIGGG group of the Khalsa.  :nihungsmile:

We can make another thread on who naamdhari, etc. are by making an ANTI-SIKH post.

88120[/snapback]

yeah khalsa i like that idea, lets make a post on naamdharis and radhaswamis n stuff?

88127[/snapback]

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ki Fateh,

i think the above 2 are valid replies, is there not already too much "tu tu mein mein" between jatehbandiaa(n)?i have met some sikhs with real strict views and to be honest i was disheartend because they were 'hating' on fellow khalsa sikhs and went onto say that if they do not belong to a certain group (i won't obviously mention who) then they are all b******s! i think we need 2 dissolve the issue not make it more obvious.

apologies if my view was taken the wrong way.