Why Celebrate Birthday?

dhan_dhan_sikhi

I have stopped celebrating my birthday as I dint have good reason to celebrate it.

I find many people wishing one another "happy birthday" on this website but I think all Sikhs(not the brainwashed, confused or sheep like sikhs) of Guru Gobind Singh should stop celebrating their birthdays.

According to Guru, human is just of 2 breadths.If the breath we take inside doesnt come out,we are dead.Guru also told us to remember our death all the time.

Then why we have become ritualist and do what the majority of MANMUKH and FORTUNELESS world does.

Lets be lions and follow our guru.

KHALISTAN ZINDABAD

I understand where you are coming from, i use to think today is not my birthday, my bithday was 18 years ago lol. But there is nothing wrong with celebrating somenones "Birthday", one day out the year we give a tribute to the person to show how much we love them. Just like Gurpurb, we take one day out of the year to reflect on our Gurus.

VJKK

VJKF

LOL @

"LOL just because none of your friends wished you a happy B-day you think we shouldnt celebrate it?? Awwww HAPPY B-DAY BRO!!! "

"dhan dhan sikhi" I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I don't agree with you calling ppl who celeberate their birthdays "brained wash sheep". Sikhs have to realize that statements like this don't bring less orthodox sikhs (who may celeberate bdays) any closer to sikhi. It scares them. I mean bro this is such an egotistical judgemental statment. A gursikh doesn't even judge a maha paapi. You can say these things if you are at a really really high level. Like Sant ji was when he exposed slavery. But bro you can't go around calling people these things because they do something you believe is wrong.

I somewhat agree with you celeberating birthdays is a waste. But I doubt a chardi kalla singh would not say happy birthday to someone who was celeberating it. I think he would just know he is above this but still wish happy birthday to the people who celeberate it. I think this is such a petty thing. Once you avastha reaches a certain point u stop caring about birthdays however at this avastha u don't judge others for celeberating. You just give everyone love regardless of what they do. And through your example you inspire people to come to that level.

why do gurdawaras give out trophies to kids when its their birthday?

LOL I never really got that! Is this a business thing that gurdawaras are doing nowadays, starting trends to make money? (now dont get me wrong I beleive in donating to the gurdawara, but sometimes it starts to appear as a bureacracy, especially when the gurdawara pradan's role up beside you in their lexus trucks)

what are we congradulating the kids for? for growing hahahaha? sounds kinda funny

"congradulations kid your one year closer to your death"

I know im off topic, sorry.

--just don't understand alot of things that go on.

As for celebrating a birthday on your own with your freinds, HEY WHY NOT. If you have a good time and enjoy something responsibly then why not, you only live life once, lets enjoy some of it not let it pass us by? Nothings a waste, especially when people and yourself are having fun.

If you dont have fun freinds then i understand that celebrating a birthday can be more of a "waste" rather than an enlightening experience.

toodles.

Actually we do not celebrate our birthdays. Others celebrate our birthdays because they are happy to see us alive and in their midst.

exactly
:umm: @  .. topics just get weird by the day ..  :lol:

im not saying dont ask .. but just that every now and then u get topics such as .. a sikh shouldnt do this .. a sikh shouldnt do that .. where the real concern should be that is it effecting their gursikhijeevan ?

no ?

so who cares !!

exactly

Actually we do not celebrate our birthdays. Others celebrate our birthdays because they are happy to see us alive and in their midst.

exactly
:umm: @  .. topics just get weird by the day ..  :lol:

im not saying dont ask .. but just that every now and then u get topics such as .. a sikh shouldnt do this .. a sikh shouldnt do that .. where the real concern should be that is it effecting their gursikhijeevan ?

no ?

so who cares !!

exactly

134917[/snapback]

exactly! rolleyes.gif