What Is The Best Gel For The Beard

anik jathan kar hirdai raakhia

rathan na chhapai chhapaaiaa

gurmukhs like bhai gurdas ji, baba buddha ji, bebe nanaki ji, mata khivi ji, they were so humble they would not show their spiritual strength

but just think how hard it is to hide the sun

(yes. mr. burns tried on simpsons. but that was the simpsons.)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you have read everyone's opinion on whether or not gelling the beard is "wrong", take my advice. Run to the store, get Tresemme Extra Hold spray in the black and green bottle. If your dhari is long enough to tie, u can do so( wrap with a rubberband and then tuck under itself). Then simply spray the Tresemme throughout your dhari and tie your cloth (forgot what its called????) and dry for a while with a hair dryer. After a while (exact time depends on how much spray you apply) take off the cloth and there you go.

Also, I would like to add that smart, unneccessary comments do not help this guy that is asking for help with his dhari. THis forum's purpose to support Sikh youth. I was under pressure from within my own family to simply trim my beard and in looking for support about a year and a half ago i posed this same question on these boards. I was also given the same useless commentary. When I read the responses I was greatly dissapointed because what I felt was that I now had to choose between a completely free-flowing beard or a cut beard. THis is an extremely difficult position to be in in a society which places high priority on a well-groomed look and if it wasn't for an understanding family friend who showed me a way to respect my dhari but still display a groomed and composed look i'm not sure if i would be able to stand up to the pressure from society and the pressure from within my very own family. Maybe many of you come from very strongly supportive Sikh families, but you must understand that not all of us do.

P.S. Perhaps many of you would like to jump to the conclusion that my Sikhi faith is very weak, but if it was i would have cut my hair a LONG time ago. THis board is supposed to PROMOTE sikhi and SUPPORT the youth through each difficult step of their development; NOT to chase them away towards making decision much "worse" than gelling the dhari. . I am thankful to God that i still have kept my Sikhi saroop through my difficult times and I give no thanks to these forums.

I in some way agree with you fat albert.. Sometime we forgot that there are many Sensitive type of ppls in the world..

I don't agree with gel beard but i don't mind if guy next to me have beard tied or ask my input.. I will definately suggest him brands and their review.. even in my mind i disagree with it.. It's what i call a universal brotherhood.. if not religious brotherhood.. :TH:

F Albert

Glad you’re speaking up. You’re going to find many with very differing views here. I don’t have any issue with gelled dhari’s as long as it is not me. You are very right about supporting youth. Also where one youth finds a comment to be encouragement or to provoke thought another might find discouraging. So you did us all a favour by speaking up.

As an aside, I am in a conservative profession where grooming is part of tradition and marketing and stressed almost to the point of fashion. I also live in a place where many would rather have it that sikhs just disappeared. This is the biggest reason I went from gelling to open dhari. I will never go back. Although, I have a long way to go to be strong in my sikhi, I consider free flowing dhari’s as the best groomed people. My experience is that when you are more sure of yourself, others start to doubt their engrained assumptions.

I think it is important to provide some perspective with respect to the effects of language. An open dhari is not “ungroomed”. In my world having no dhari is “ungroomed”. A tied dhari is somewhat groomed and an open dhari is grooming at it’s finest. There is no such thing as “clean” shaven in my world. I see people as clean bearded and dirty shaven. When the society around me smartens up in their language hang-ups, I will drop the “dirty”.

Where are you and who is giving you grief and difficult times? Maybe some of us can come over there and legally and figuratively maim these people for you to show our support and make peace with you bro. As for supportive families, like any other supportive family, this forum has it’s differing views yet at the end of the day it is about universal and religious sisbrohood as someone suggested. Also like any family there is not a single one of us who can’t be told how to be a better family member and we all know that.

Takes guts to speak up against the grain. Keep it up, will make a better forum for all of us.