Do You Judge People By Their Pagh/dastaar?

SardarDholi

i am wearing a bright orange turban with a black 50 under it and i am at work right now...as i was waiting for the bus to get here, 1 gora honked and showed me his middle finger, to which i just smiled and nodded my head LOL.gif ...as i got to work, my boss said i was too early for halloween as orange and black are halloween colors...orange color refers to the pumpkin...and so im feeling all dressed up for halloween a week in advance :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will re-iterate what I said before. From my own expereiences, you are judged on the type of dastar you wear, you cant deny that. A generalization within Sikhs is people look at the gol dastar as a stronger expression of ones faith than a triangular Punjabi/Kenyan dastaar. This has its good points and bad points. The current non Sikh generalization of the drunken dancing Sikh is linked to the triangular Punjabi/Kenyan dastaar whereas a gol dastar is still a bit of a mystery which I take advantage of and use to disassociate myself from the generalization.

When I first took amrit I wore a Kenyan style dastar for about six months as this is the only style I knew. When I was in family/relative environments I was still being offered largers & shots and plates of chicken because my own community could not associate me as a practicing Sikh. As soon as I started wearing a gol dastar/dumaala the perception of my own family and friends changed around me and I think it finally sunk in that I am now an amritdhari. I found it easier to disassociate myself from the manmat activities within my extended family and society in general.

<<< I take advantage of and use to disassociate myself from the generalization. >>>

BhaJi I am sure this does not apply to you, but pride is a very devious entity, by disassociating with the triangular brigade there is a possibility that pride creeps in and one thinks "I am good, I am with the good crowd" maybe one should associate with the bad crowd so that the nindhia that people do washes your sins. Some spriritual persons will actively do things that make others look at them with disdain and they will start the nindhia which is what the spiritual person wants, it keeps the pride down and it washes away ones sins. That unassuming person who comes to the gurdwara does his mutha-take maybe he has a triangular pag but who knows his avastaa? because we are all mesmorised by the dumallas and the banas.

<<< I take advantage of and use to disassociate myself from the generalization. >>>

BhaJi I am sure this does not apply to you, but pride is a very devious entity, by disassociating with the triangular brigade there is a possibility that pride creeps in and one thinks "I am good, I am with the good crowd" maybe one should associate with the bad crowd so that the nindhia that people do washes your sins. Some spriritual persons will actively do things that make others look at them with disdain and they will start the nindhia which is what the spiritual person wants, it keeps the pride down and it washes away ones sins. That unassuming person who comes to the gurdwara does his mutha-take maybe he has a triangular pag but who knows his avastaa? because we are all mesmorised by the dumallas and the banas.

Associating with a bad crowd so that ones sins can be washed away by nindaks seems selfish. I agree that there's a potential ego boost from wearing dumallas and bana, but on the positive side there's responsiblity and an image to live up to, something that presently we as a kaum are failing to do.

In short most of us need to realise we are carrying the spiritual and physical crown of akal purakh on our heads and therefore our visibility should influence our actions and reactions. Blending into a crowd inorder to hide from our responsiblities is also detremental and i think the majority of modern sikhs fall into this category. There is a psycology to the unique outer look of the khalsa and i believe one needs to realise that and feel responsiblity of the their roop, wearing a dummalla/gol dastar (in my view) identified me to that uniqueness much more than wearing a tringular Kenyan pug. Maybe thats a just experience personal to me and i suppose others may not understand it. so apologies to all.