Gay Marriages

Deep Singh

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Thank you Deep SIngh, and sorry if I wrote anything wrong.

I understand what you said, and now that I think about it, you are totally right! The SGGS does not speak of individual actions, but rather as the mentality that is behind each action. That is why rituals are forbidded, because rituals have no mentality!!!

That said, I'm starting to wonder. If in a heterosexual union (guy-girl), kaam must play a major role too (cause on a basic level, attraction between man and woman thinking animalistically, is based on s.e.x. So... in a way, that is also what may bring two women or two men together as well... so why do we condone one but reject the other?

(I am not implying anything here - personally I don't agree with homosexuality, but I think that my question is a good one)

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

i'm taking a sociology class this semester and of course, one of the topics the professor has discussed is homosexuality.

If I can remember correctly, I think he said 90% of the cases of homosexuality are linked with the genetic theory behind it. I thought that was really interesting...so basically, if i have my facts right here, the individual can't be "blamed" for being a certain way because it's genetic. And then there's the psychological theory which states in families where the female is the dominant figure, the male child associates more so with other guys.

There's several theories behind it, as studies have shown.

but just thought i'd share that...and i have a test on all this coming up so it was kinda like a review for me too. :e:

yeah Khalsa4ever that is a good question...as in the "modern" world what brings couples together is mostly looks....as you mentioned. it is really a blindhole man. so maybe we should not pick a partner by their looks, but their personality, ie. interests/thinking. and maybe a way of doing that is by some type of dates..but in such dates also kaam is active, so it is really hard to tell which is the best way two people can get together.

however that said we can not go on banning people from being together...there should be freedem..rite. and people should themselves understand what is wrong and what is right...

maybe it should be upon folks themselves what kind of pre-marriage state they want to be...like go dating (if they can control lust) or through parents (but they would not know what kind of interests the other ones has). i say it is upon the individuals.... :)

i know i am a bit offtopic..but just my thoughts.

If I can remember correctly, I think he said 90% of the cases of homosexuality are linked with the genetic theory behind it. I thought that was really interesting...so basically, if i have my facts right here, the individual can't be "blamed" for being a certain way because it's genetic. And then there's the psychological theory which states in families where the female is the dominant figure, the male child associates more so with other guys.

hey tavleen..good to see you.

well i saw some of that at discovery channel...they showed some ants/insects that were bisexual...so i also believe it can actually have something with the gens to do. so it is clear that we have to have a broader view of this..

but still i have a feeling that there is like kaam/lust... :T:

and KANDOLA jee, bro i said i have heard this, as i am not sure.

at the SIkhawareness board someone said that in Triya Charitrer part of Dasam Granth, that contains various stories, about bad deeds of mostly women but also men, their is also storie(s) of homosexual behaviour. i repeat i have no evidence of this. and if any member here who is learnt in Sri Dasam Granth could clear my doubt i would be thankfull. that is all i know

jee.

bhul chuk maaf karna jee.

I read a part Sri Dasam Granth ji where in "chritropakhyan" there is some refernce that a guy did "something" with another guy to teach him a lesson.I am sorry if tht was very strong.But I dont know whats the better way to say it. I can get u guys the reference, but I have to search for it extensively as I am not sure where was that in that gr8 granth ji.Well, they used some special wording for that act in translation.

How about this:

Nothing is said about homosexuality anywhere in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the everlasting Guru of the Sikhs, or anywhere in Sikh history, however, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji do explain the bond of sacred relationship between husband and wife: "They are not said to be husband and wife, who merely sit together. Rather they alone are called husband and wife, who have one soul in two bodies." (Guru Amar Das, Pauri, pg. 788). From this we can conclude that a marriage should be between a man and a woman.

However, our Gurus did not address or discuss homosexuality as important. So why should we? And on the other hand, govenment should not interfere in peoples' personal lives. It should be left solely on personal choice.

"They are not said to be husband and wife, who merely sit together. Rather they alone are called husband and wife, who have one soul in two bodies." (Guru Amar Das, Pauri, pg. 788). From this we can conclude that a marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Good one!

Why deliberate on what gurbani hasn't mentioned. Guru bani is Proactive. It tells us what we should do. i.e sewa, simran, etc

If gurubani was to tell us all the things that we shouldn't do than the list we be endless and we would sit here debating on what we should do..

Khalsa4eva you said 'I'm starting to wonder. If in a heterosexual union (guy-girl), kaam must play a major role too (cause on a basic level, attraction between man and woman thinking animalistically, is based on s.e.x. So... why do we condone one but reject the other?'

I just want to clarify, Kaam is the first of the 5 sins..it is not condoned in hetrosexuals realtionships either. Guru sahib has told us to consider everyone a brother/sister,son/daughter, mother/father depending on the age of the person. What is condoned is love..and there is a difference between love and lust. Love is about giving and considers the other person. Lust is about pleasing one's own desire...that is why it is not condoned in either hetrosexual/homosexual relationships in sikhi.

>

Bhul Chuk Maaf!