Sikh For A (wedding) Day! Sikhs Taking The Mickey!

Starsingh

BEARING IN MIND WHAT THE SGPC HAS SAID RECENTLY - (A PART OF BEING A SIKH IS SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT CUT OR TRIM THEIR HAIR).

DONT YOU THINK IT IS WRONG HOW MANY, SO CALLED SIKH GUYS TODAY, WITH CUT HAIR, SHAVED FACES, WHO ALSO DRINK , SMOKE TAKE DRUGS ETC, BECOME SIKHS FOR A DAY, ON THEIR WEDDING DAY, JUST SO THEY CAN HAVE A SIKH WEDDING?

I ATTENDED A WEDDING RECENTLY WHERE THE GUY, WHO USUALLY HAS A SHAVED HEAD, AND GOATEE AND LIKES HIS SESSIONS WIV THE BOYS, BECAME A SIKH FOR THE DAY.

HE TURNED UP AT THE GURDWARA ON THE WEDDING DAY WITH (A HANGOVER FROM THE PREVIOUS NIGHTS PRE WEDDING PARTY) AND A RED TURBAN AND STUBBLE BEARD FOR HIS WEDDING AT A WELL KNOWN GURDWARA IN SOUTHALL.

2 HOURS LATER HE WAS A THE RECEPTION PARTY IN SLOUGH WITH A CLEAN SHAVEN FACE AND THE SHAVED HEAD AGAIN, GRINNING AWAY!

THIS WAS REALLY UPSETTING AS IT FELT LIKE HE "USED" AND"ABUSED" THE SIKH SAROOP FOR A FEW HOURS OF PRETENCE - JUST TO GET MARRIED!!!

IT FELT LIKE HE WAS GRINNING AT HOW HE HAD TAKEN THE MICKEY WITH BEING A SIKH FOR A FEW HOURS OF FUN!

ISNT IT TIME THAT GROUPS LIKE "THE RESPECT FOR THE SHRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB CAMPAIGN" MADE A COMEBACK AND STOPPED THESE TYPES OF PRACTICES??

THE NEXT TIME I SAW HIM I TOLD HIM HOW I FELT, AND HE JUST SEEMED TO NOT GIVE A DAMN!

ITS "ABOUT TIME" WE TACKLED THIS VERY SERIOUS ISSUE , DONT U THINK?

ITS THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY THIS YEAR AND WOULDNT IT BE GOOD TO USE THE VARIOUS EVENTS/MARCHES TO MAYBE REFER TO THE SGPC STANCE AND THESE WEDDING DAY "SIKHS" JOKERS, TO TELL PEOPLE WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THEM TAKING THE MICKEY!

Mod Note: Please refrain from post in capital letters, your posts seem to come accross intimidating with regards the nature of your topic. :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

StarSingh, that HAPPENS everywhere. In Punjab it happens in allmost EACH wedding. My cousins etc do it also...

Its just to look good with the turban (that they let their beards grow).

"Bandar Nu Ki Patta, Adrak Da Swaad"

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

BEARING IN MIND WHAT THE SGPC HAS SAID RECENTLY - (A PART OF BEING A SIKH IS SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT CUT OR TRIM THEIR HAIR).

DONT YOU THINK IT IS WRONG HOW MANY, SO CALLED SIKH GUYS TODAY, WITH CUT HAIR, SHAVED FACES, WHO ALSO DRINK , SMOKE TAKE DRUGS ETC, BECOME SIKHS FOR A DAY, ON THEIR WEDDING DAY, JUST SO THEY CAN HAVE A SIKH WEDDING?

I ATTENDED A WEDDING RECENTLY WHERE THE GUY, WHO USUALLY HAS A SHAVED HEAD, AND GOATEE AND LIKES HIS SESSIONS WIV THE BOYS, BECAME A SIKH FOR THE DAY.

HE TURNED UP AT THE GURDWARA ON THE WEDDING DAY WITH (A HANGOVER FROM THE PREVIOUS NIGHTS PRE WEDDING PARTY) AND A RED TURBAN AND STUBBLE BEARD FOR HIS WEDDING AT A WELL KNOWN GURDWARA IN SOUTHALL.

2 HOURS LATER HE WAS A THE RECEPTION PARTY IN SLOUGH WITH A CLEAN SHAVEN FACE AND THE SHAVED HEAD AGAIN, GRINNING AWAY!

THIS WAS REALLY UPSETTING AS IT FELT LIKE HE "USED" AND"ABUSED" THE SIKH SAROOP FOR A FEW HOURS OF PRETENCE - JUST TO GET MARRIED!!!

IT FELT LIKE HE WAS GRINNING AT HOW HE HAD TAKEN THE MICKEY WITH BEING A SIKH FOR A FEW HOURS OF FUN!

ISNT IT TIME THAT GROUPS LIKE "THE RESPECT FOR THE SHRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB CAMPAIGN" MADE A COMEBACK AND STOPPED THESE TYPES OF PRACTICES??

THE NEXT TIME I SAW HIM I TOLD HIM HOW I FELT, AND HE JUST SEEMED TO NOT GIVE A DAMN!

ITS "ABOUT TIME" WE TACKLED THIS VERY SERIOUS ISSUE , DONT U THINK?

ITS THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY THIS YEAR AND WOULDNT IT BE GOOD TO USE THE VARIOUS EVENTS/MARCHES TO MAYBE REFER TO THE SGPC STANCE AND THESE WEDDING DAY "SIKHS" JOKERS, TO TELL PEOPLE WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THEM TAKING THE MICKEY!

With respect, what do you propose?

:jamdoot or :v1: ?

Gurumaneogranth said :

At my local Gurdwara, someone even wanted to use the Giani's washroom in the Gurdwara to shave before the ensuing reception!

-----

thats exactly my point!

I was hoping to get ideas from the people here, as thsi whole thing makes a mockery of the Sikh religion ans saroop!

I mena why would ousiders respect the look, if our own sikh poeple cut and shave as they please?

MY Proposal ?

1. How abotu a blanket ban on nayone with less than a 3 inch beard below the chin? Or on nayoen who looks like they shave/trim or cut their hair?

This would force wannabee part time Singhs to grow a full beard for at lease 6 months b4 marraige and who knows some may keep it for good?

Or ask for three witnesses ( SINGH/Singhnia to confirm the groom does not cut /trim his hair?

Dont know the exact answer, btu anythign is better than wot WE got now!

this kind of stuff just makes me sick.

it happens everywhere.

Some gurdware also take part in anti sikh thinking and activity like this.

i went to a wedding where after the anand karaj everybody went down to the other side of the gurdwara site to the party hall where there was alot of drinking, meat and smoking. on the gurdwara site. Also the main guy in the commitee there was drunk.

What really takes the mick is that some apparently put on a fake beard! Now thats just insulting. No one is telling these people that they have to have dharis on their wedding days so why do they feel they have to go the extent of growing them just for the wedding. Its so pathetic man. Just another illustration of how misguided people are. I don't think they're purposely trying to take the mickey (maybe some do) but they're just ignorant and need to be told, if you want to get married in the gurdwara, thats fine, just don't go making yourself (at the end of the day, they're making fools of themselves) look stupid in the process. They need to realise that the Guru is omnipresent so showing off with a beard (even a fake one, lol) just for the day is pure ignorance.

Yeah, my dad and uncle were furious at this issue.

Clean shaven sikhs (now lets not go into the topic of theres no such thing as clean shaven sikhs, everyone knows what i mean), should be allowed to marry in the gurdwara but not do this pakhand business of growing their hair just for the wedding and then immediately cutting it afterwards. This is just not on. A blanket ban is needed for anyone participating in this, its just ridiculous. If the beard is fake, gianis should ask for it to be removed before the wedding, if the guy refuses, tear it off and chuck it in the bin! The problem is when the guy has grown his beard, gianis will not know whether he is always like this or whether he has just grown it for the wedding. If it is the latter then by the time he shaves it off for the reception or whatever, its too late, the bhesti has been done.

Anyway, this cannot be tolerated. It is a very serious issue and if carried on, will further insult sikhi.