Gurdas Mann Concert Cancelled Due To Kirpan

apnepart2

Not too aware of this particular case although I am aware that the same thing happened at the Gurdas Mann concert at Wembley. Presuming Gurdas Mann professes the Sikh faith, he doesn't seem to be too bothered or vocal about what's happening to his 'brethren'. Maybe Amritdhari Sikhs and Sikhs in general should consider the fact that if Mann himself isnt bothered about whats happening to his fans, why should they spend their hard earned cash on concert tickets and records. Boycott him! It will speak volumes when it hits people in the pockets.

Whilst on the subject, boycott Nirmal Sidhu the <banned word filter activated> too. lol.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too aware of this particular case although I am aware that the same thing happened at the Gurdas Mann concert at Wembley. Presuming Gurdas Mann professes the Sikh faith, he doesn't seem to be too bothered or vocal about what's happening to his 'brethren'. Maybe Amritdhari Sikhs and Sikhs in general should consider the fact that if Mann himself isnt bothered about whats happening to his fans, why should they spend their hard earned cash on concert tickets and records. Boycott him! It will speak volumes when it hits people in the pockets.

Whilst on the subject, boycott Nirmal Sidhu the <banned word filter activated> too. lol.

Sorry but, everyone on this forum love to contradict them self. Many times on this forum I have read this statement,"You are not a Sikh, if you are not an Amrithdahri or someone who cuts their hair". But, we have a case with Gurdass Mann, who has got a hair cut. So if people on this forum are stating that he should help his fellow "brethrin". Why?. You guys have already labelled him as a non-Sikh.

I think there are many people who have taken amrit around the world, and the communities differ around the world. Even in the UK you would have one community of amrit dhari Gursikhs who would never even think about going to a concert, and they you have a seperate community who are a bit more "relaxed" and dont see anything wrong with it. Not saying that either group is right or wrong, but thats just how it is. So rather than clashing with other communities, we should try our best to help each other out and yes, if you believe that Guru Sahib really does not want his Singhs and Singhnia going to a Gurdas Mann concert, then we should try to educate each other alongside helping each other. Rather than say "Oh well, you were wrong for going to the concert in the first place, we are not going to support you."

The danger in our community is that if Sikhs just stick to their own, the governments, the non-Sikhs will become oblivious to Sikhi - and we will find that within a decade or two, Sikhs will have no rights, no say at all. I think the issue highlighted at the concert is a valid one and one that needs to be addressed by the WHOLE of the Sikh nation because today, they are banning us from going into concerts... tomorrow, it may be supermarkets... shops... parks... etc.

End of the day, lets stick together. By making others feel hated or inferior, we are not living Sikhi at all. We need to come together, learn to love and respect one another, and educate and inspire each other built on that love, not hate.

forgive me if i said anything wrong.

I agree with SikhRoots, we need to all support each other. Monas, Kesadharis, amritdhari. Although it's true you probably won't get anything to help achieve your life's spiritual goals from a GD Mann concert, it's still a little different from the one case I rember where a 3ho sikh was barred from a night club because of headgear rules.

Kphull, at no stage did I label Gurdas Mann as a non-Sikh. Incidentally, I do not know whether he professes the Sikh faith or not. My point is that if he does profess the Sikh faith, he doesn't seem to be that bothered (vocally) about events that are occuring to ticket purchasing Sikhs who attend them.

You did not name me specifically, but you quoted from my post so it is only courteous that I respond. Furthermore, i don't think it is fair to say EVERYONE on this forum loves to contradict themselves.......that's a very big generalisation....for example like saying everyone named Kphull haven't got a clue what there on about.

At the end of the day, don't forget that we are supposed to raise a voice against anything going wrong. Just think about Guru Teg Bahadur ji's martyrdom. We shouldn't be fighting for only our symbols, but for anybody else's as well, if they approach us.

So I would say we need to raise a voice so that Kirpan is respected as much as by others as we respect it. Today it happened at concert, tomorrow it could happen at any other genuine place (not that I said going to concert was not genuine, I am not here to judge that). But I am raising a voice to support that the security practices have to be reviewed. And in future, Gurdas Mann or any other singer should think about the matter before they agree to have any concert at places where it could be a potential problem with the security officers about Kirpan issues.

I see nothing wrong with going to concert if you are amritdhari. We havn't gotten over all our Vikars, have we??

Music is music, and its my choice to have it inspriational/religious/calming vs. the one feeding my vikars. If you go to concert to feed your vikars, then of course, I would be against it, but people do feed their vikars at Gurughars too. Can we control that??

So lets just stay focused at the Kirpan issue and not judge who should or not go to concert.

Just my 2 cents or more.

Presuming Gurdas Mann professes the Sikh faith

I used to enjoy listening to Gurdas Mann, but find his latest antics uneasy listening. This was since I learnt that he has become a chela of some mussalman in Nakodar known as laddi-shah.

Fair enough we are all on the path to Sikhism, but this guy has fallen off big time. Check out his matha-tekk'ing to his master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heiSYLde9s8

He now starts his concerts with a eulogy in verse to this pakhandi and in the same breath mentions Guru Nanak. I witnessed this last year in Punjab and just lost all respect for him at that stage.