Chanting Waheguru - Your View

humanbeing

Sat Sri Akal everyone....I have recently noticed that in Gurudwaras, the Raagi Jathas chant Waheguru name in a peculiar manner...i.e non stop without taking a breath and chanting very fast.

My personal view is that Waheguru should be chanted in a slow manner by feeling the word from inside and concentrating.

So when its repeated fast you can't feel the word inside and focus on it. Singh it is your experience from where your speaking from. Many Chardikala Sikhs chant fast and are able to feel each sound and have full concentration. Some Chardikala Sikhs chant for hours without moving a muscle or blinking. And a on looker can make the judgement, OOOO hes a Brahmin just trying to show off. What is this Chardikala Sikh going to say to this. Just laugh.

The way the Waheguru name is chanted by some Raagi jathas, it just reminds me of Hindu rituals of chanting a name non stop without feeling for it. Chanting the name non stop and very fast seems as if we are playing a game as to how long we can chant something before we loose the pronounciation.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Singh again your speaking from your experience. Plus I am not laughing at you. I repeat Waheguru fast sometimes, maybe i'm a brahmin and just following a ritualbiggrin.gif Sometimes I look like a stone, maybe, I am a stone. Sometimes i don't chant with the tongue and am still repeating Waheguru fast. Whatever works for you is just fine. You want to chant slow then chant slow. But don't say one is a ritual because all your doing is speaking from personal experience.

I think the whole idea of chanting Waheguru is to focus on the Almighty and says thanks in a nicer way rather than saying thanks very fastly.

Please share your views with me.

Regards

Can't we focus by chanting rapidly? Can't we say thanks rapidly. Does it have less meaning. And is the person just purposely chanting rapidly or is there more to it.

Here is a Singh chanting both ways.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Just to add more. Some Singh stretch out Waheguru sooooooo long that others start thinking it is just a ritual. Again people speak from personal experience.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I like pizza with onions and olives. There are some who don't. Should I try to prove that everyone should eat oinions and olives on their pizza and those who don't are wrong?

Sorry Praji coudn't understand what you meant by that .... If I understood you correctly then you mean that chanting Waheguru in any way is correct?

I think it is not about what one feels good but what should be the right way. Let me explain this in a different manner. For eg, a person joins a construction company as an Engineer. He is given the job because he has to build a 10 storey office complex. This building has to be built as per the Govt Regulations. But the Engineer thinks that he can do whatever he feels is "Good" rather than the right way "to follow the Rules". So he builds only 8 storey office complex and that too by using sub grade building material.

Now does this mean that he did the right job? No...because he his building was not built in the correct manner that could stand the test of time....because he felt that whatever he did was "good" does not mean that he did it in the right way.

I hope I made my point clear. Waheguru is a way to say thanks and remembering God.....Just imagine your brother/son saying thank you to you...Would you like him to say that in a repititive non stop manner and very fast or would you prefer the person say it nicely, slowly by actually meaning it?

Now I'm laughing laugh.giflaugh.gif . You can't see the other side of the forest. Get out of your little box and think with an open mind here.

I don't really want to ask this, but I think its needed. Present Gurbani that says repeating Waheguru fast is a Hindu ritual or just a ritual.

And don't present one tuk isolated, then your intentions would be clearly understood.

human, thanks for starting a discussion on this topic.

In general, I think different ways of reciting the Gurmantar might be acceptable, as long as the correct form of the Gurmantar (with correct vowel sounds) is maintained.

I'm not really going on one side or the other, just leaving it to sangat for discussion:

kabeer kaeso kaeso kookeeai n soeeai asaar ||

Kabeer, chant the Name of the Beautifully-haired Lord; do not sleep unaware.

raath dhivas kae kookanae kabehoo kae sunai pukaar ||223||

Chanting His Name night and day, the Lord will eventually hear your call. ||223|| p1376

Note: kookna does not mean "chant". It means bark (as in a dog barking).

On the other hand, Kabir ji also says:

har kaa bilovanaa bilovahu maerae bhaaee ||

Churn the churn of the Lord, O my Siblings of Destiny.

sehaj bilovahu jaisae thath n jaaee ||1|| rehaao ||

Churn it steadily, so that the essence, the butter, may not be lost. ||1||Pause|| p478

The trend of singing dhuni of Gurmantar in Kirtan was started by Mohinder Singh SDO. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh did not agree with singing of Gurmantar in Kirtan, even though many AKJ youth today follow this trend.

As of late, many kirtani jathaai are copying Sant Ranjit Singh due to the popularity he has achieved doing the above.

Its a free world, each to their own, one flower has many petals etcetera, but in my personal understanding of Gurbani and the bachan of many Mahapurkh I have heard, Simran - is that which brings 'Sehaj' and stillness to the mind, the 'energetic' simran we hear today may bring euphoria, but I don't believe it can bring that stillness needed to 'recognise our true self'.

Yogis, Sadhs have excommincated themselves from society to achive these 'states' for millenia, Aad Guru - Guru Nanak Dev Ji gave us the key to achive these in grhisht - as do Brahmgyaanis - to contemplate and develop prem bhagti through amritvela simran.

That simran - to achieve - we are taught by Brahmgyaanis - becomes internalised - where it then causes the atma to rise and bring purity and clarity to the mun.

Let me admit first, that I haven't read most of the posts here, especially the long ones.

My answer to orginal poster and all the others, instead of arguing, lets just all recite together................

(btw you are free to do in your own style. No strings attached. But I do beg you to at least recite it. Pleeeeeeeeeeease, for me, pretty please).

Waheguru waheguru waheguru waheguru

Thank you all for your views...All your views does make sense and I can see your view points.

The whole idea of this post was to get other people views...and it has been successful.

Thank you again

A very similar post i saw on sikhnet forum also. Did you post it there also?

Hi...No, this is the first post that I have posted...did not know that a similar one was posted in sikhnet forum also. Will read that one as well. Thanks