bowing to sants

kam1825

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I have personally never bowed infront of anyone but our SGGS, even if everyone around me (parents included) have done so.

SGGS jee is the only Guru that I will ever have, and as such is the only one that I will give my head to.

As to the gutkas (prayer book), it is a part of the SGGS, so it is a part of Guru Sahib. I see no harm in bowing to such a portion of Guru sahib!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see any difference in doing matha tek and bowing down. I think matha tek is the same as bowing down. Bowing down is what?---> Showing respect to someone? That's what doing matha tek is right?

Maybe my answer is way off but that's what I thinks :wub:

So I don't bow down to no one except SGGS ji.

btw, I think bowing down to sants is wrong. Some people get too much ego when they get respect from people who are bowing down at their feet. I think it can give a person a false impression about themselves. I'm not saying that a sant would drift from the right things and go back to 5 evils...but there's fake sants out there too. Besides, a sant is not a GURU, they are very spiritual people, but still not the same as GURU for me. :e:

well Satpreet bhainji,

i was just thinking of the same...and i came to the conclusion:

Matha taekna and bowing is slitely different. In punjabi bowing is called Peri paena. Matha theeka actually means that we take our matha (forehead) and taek (rubb) it on the floor before Guru Sahib. Paeri paena is like grabing the legs or even foot of some person. I used to do that a lot of my mom when i was little, everyday before i went to school. I guess that was like punjabi culture; it shows respect. However matha taekna shows that our knowledge (that is in the matha) comes from the object/person we are taeking it. It is like saying we whole-heartedly believe and follow that, ie for us Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Also i believe peri paena is not just punjabi culture, but i may be wrong, but i believe Bhai Gurdas Ji has said that a Gursikh should peri paena when they see another Gursikh. It is like for respect, as Khalsa is Guru-roop.

So matha taekna is like whole-heartedly following, but peri paena is just for respect.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

ijQY jwie bhY myrw siqgurU so Qwnu suhwvw rwm rwjy ]

jithhai jaae behai maeraa sathiguroo so thhaan suhaavaa raam raajae ||

Wherever my True Guru goes and sits, that place is beautiful, O Lord King.

gurisKNØI so Qwnu BwilAw lY DUir muiK lwvw ]

gurasikha(n)aee so thhaan bhaaliaa lai dhhoor mukh laavaa ||

The Guru's Sikhs seek out that place; they take the dust and apply it to their faces.

as per shastars.....

us kirpan khando kharag tupak tabar ur tir.

saif sarohi saithi yahai hamare pir.

sword, double-edged sword, bow and arrow are our guides or Gurus.

therefore we must do namaskar of shastars as they are our Guru.

and also one should ALWAYS matha tek to a gutka. bani guru guru hai bani. a gutka has bani in it. no matter how much. even if a gutka has only ik oankar written in it. you matha tek.

its controversial but people also matha tek to pictures of guru sahib which i find nothing wrong with. ive done it myself and have seen many chardikala singhs do it.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

satpreet phaenay = :TH:

and No i won't bow down but i will tilt my head downwards just like i do to everyone when saying fateh.. btw I can't even tell whether this singh or singhnee is sant or not.. to me at raenshabeyy everybody luks like a sants blush.gif

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I personally bow down to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ^_^ because thats our present guru. Sants are sants, they are going to come and go but SGGS ji is going to be here forever. Sants preaches about sikhi and they get the information from SGGS ji and they tell us that. Who deserve better respect Guru ji or a sant?

bhula chuka maff. i am just a kid who is trying to learn

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh