Maharaaj Parkash On A Beach?

Oh so now we are opening our eyes.I guess we were sleeping before. Anyway, here is the real problem.

I think first we need to realize this problem is NOT limited to where maharaj is been taken. We need to realize that whole atmosphere surronding anand karaj time. Same level of beadhi occurs towards maharaj within Gurdwara itself during anand karaj event as nobody gives two hoots about the actual kings of kings but couples- bride and groom consider the event as quite special for themselves and their guest and bride and groom are consider real heros rather than maharaj. I personally tried to give speech on anand karaj on my sister in law marriage in front of lot of non sikhs and sikhs alike. After speech I was accused of going over time, leaving guest bored or hungry by sikhs themselves as groom (gora) side had no problems with it.

Solution: We need mandatory sikh chaplain in each and every anand karaj as there are kirtanis to give insight on importance of anand karaj before the actual ceremony takes place...otherwise there would be beadhis in subtle form which is killing our roots in each and every anand karaj than beadhi stated above. In other words, lets go after the root of the problem as opposed to reacting over small problem connecting to the root.

Seems fine. Those that are moaning, recall that the Guru went from place to place. So there is nothing more natural than the open space that is the beach. I'm sure they had cleaned up any rubbish and so on.

Jite Baba Per Dhare....[learn the meaning...]

Fateh JI

After reading this I clearly see why many people don't take Sikh's seriously over any urgent matters regarding humanity. After reading this post, it clearly indicates that some people within the Sikh faith are more worried about the little things e.g. eating langar on the tables or the floor. In this case should we take the holy scriptures on the beach or not.

Come on people you are not serious? Don't you think we have far more bigger issues to deal with? E.g. How to bring back the people who have decided to stray from the path.

no one is denying that there are bigger issues regarding the Sikhs, however there are other threads to discuss them. You have also put forward a very strong opinion on a topic that you consider as minor.

I see allot of similarities generating within the Sikh faith to Islam, if we carry on, in 50 years or so non Sikhs will think that Sikhs are a part of Islam.

whether sikh or muslims or anyother community for that matter, any group of people will feel sensitive towards something they feel is sacred.

Many of the leaders running the main political bodies within in the Sikh faith are uneducated village folk of Punjab, is that what the future of the Sikh faith is? How can you call a Sikh faith modern if everything we do, we always try to follow the old ways, it's becoming so ridiculous, we even transform our fashion sense to highlight this.

Are you indicating that you have a problem that Sikhs who mind their own business and wear their traditional attire? … on one hand, you have said Sikhs pick on issues that do not matter such as 'Guru Granth Sahib Ji on the beach' and 'Tables and chairs in Langar', yet at the same time you draw unnecessary attention to Sikhs wearing "traditional clothes". Also, you will do well to learn fashion is materialistic, Sikhi is spiritualistic.

How can we promote this religion faith (Sikh) to the non Sikhs. Sikhs have always stated, that our philosophy is timeless. How can this be, we cannot even get out of this old fashioned way of thought.

Seriously people, snap out of it.

Gurbani is relevant to humanity today, and always has been. Many renowned non Sikhs have said this and given reasons why. Just because we have Sikh Traditions and maintain maryada, that does not mean we are incompatible with 2011. We do not need to implement unecessary materialistic practices to prove this.

Seems fine. Those that are moaning, recall that the Guru went from place to place. So there is nothing more natural than the open space that is the beach. I'm sure they had cleaned up any rubbish and so on.

Jite Baba Per Dhare....[learn the meaning...]

Fateh JI

do you agree with Guru Granth Sahib JI Maharaj being taken to party halls on the basis of "jithe baba pair dare.." ... becasue i am wondering where would you draw the line?

Oh so now we are opening our eyes.I guess we were sleeping before. Anyway, here is the real problem.

I think first we need to realize this problem is NOT limited to where maharaj is been taken. We need to realize that whole atmosphere surronding anand karaj time. Same level of beadhi occurs towards maharaj within Gurdwara itself during anand karaj event as nobody gives two hoots about the actual kings of kings but couples- bride and groom consider the event as quite special for themselves and their guest and bride and groom are consider real heros rather than maharaj. I personally tried to give speech on anand karaj on my sister in law marriage in front of lot of non sikhs and sikhs alike. After speech I was accused of going over time, leaving guest bored or hungry by sikhs themselves as groom (gora) side had no problems with it.

Solution: We need mandatory sikh chaplain in each and every anand karaj as there are kirtanis to give insight on importance of anand karaj before the actual ceremony takes place...otherwise there would be beadhis in subtle form which is killing our roots in each and every anand karaj than beadhi stated above. In other words, lets go after the root of the problem as opposed to reacting over small problem connecting to the root.

Good on you, right and brave thing to do.

After reading this I clearly see why many people don't take Sikh's seriously over any urgent matters regarding humanity. After reading this post, it clearly indicates that some people within the Sikh faith are more worried about the little things e.g. eating langar on the tables or the floor. In this case should we take the holy scriptures on the beach or not.

Come on people you are not serious?

Don't you think we have far more bigger issues to deal with? E.g. How to bring back the people who have decided to stray from the path.

I see allot of similarities generating within the Sikh faith to Islam, if we carry on, in 50 years or so non Sikhs will think that Sikhs are a part of Islam.

Many of the leaders running the main political bodies within in the Sikh faith are uneducated village folk of Punjab, is that what the future of the Sikh faith is? How can you call a Sikh faith modern if everything we do, we always try to follow the old ways, it's becoming so ridiculous, we even transform our fashion sense to highlight this.

How can we promote this religion faith (Sikh) to the non Sikhs. Sikhs have always stated, that our philosophy is timeless. How can this be, we cannot even get out of this old fashioned way of thought.

Seriously people, snap out of it.

Respect of Guru Ji is a big issue. Keeping the langar pure and the way Guru Ji wanted it is a big deal. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I fit the feeling from your post that you want to make Sikhi more appealing to a modern westerner, and sacrifice rehat in the process. Stop trying to modernize Sikhi when it is timeless, and like Guru Ji said, he loves the rehit of a Sikh. Also, pay no mind to public opinion.

What about when Sikh soldiers took Maharaj with them during war/conflict? How about a Nagar Kirtan? Here in the UK a Nagar Kirtan travels through areas where all sorts of things take place, people smoke on the streets etc. Isn't this about applying common sense to a situation? I'm not looking for an argument but merely throwing some scenarios into the mix.

What about when Sikh soldiers took Maharaj with them during war/conflict? How about a Nagar Kirtan? Here in the UK a Nagar Kirtan travels through areas where all sorts of things take place, people smoke on the streets etc. Isn't this about applying common sense to a situation? I'm not looking for an argument but merely throwing some scenarios into the mix.

That exact situation crossed my mind too. I guess its not as black and white as I first thought. I suppose we must all agree that places where meat, alcohol, etc., activities are occuring are definitely off limits. The question remains - does a place become pure if its cleaned thoroughly, or once somewhere has been "tainted" does it remain that way forever and Maharaj should never be taken to that location?

In terms of the above beach, I honestly don't know. I'd rather err on the side of caution and say 'no' but then technically the beach COULD be acceptable. On the other hand I'm hesitant placing Maharaj at a location where people's feet have once been (despite the obvious process of sucham that was undertaken before Maharaj was brought to that particular site).

Many Gurdwara buildings were originally churches were I assume there would have been alcohol (wine) based upon their ceremonies, where would that leave us with regards to these Gurdwaras if a place is tainted 'forever'?

Also, at one time Massa Rangar 'ran riot' in Harmandir Sahib, where would that leave us?

Many Gurdwara buildings were originally churches were I assume there would have been alcohol (wine) based upon their ceremonies, where would that leave us with regards to these Gurdwaras if a place is tainted 'forever'?

Also, at one time Massa Rangar 'ran riot' in Harmandir Sahib, where would that leave us?

I agree with your arguments. Like you, I was throwing some scenarios "into the mix", not necessarily endorsing them. Take time to read my post and judge it's tone. Take it easy and don't jump to conclusions about what you thought I said.