Why Do Most Parents In West Not Teach Punjabi To Their Children?

JSinghnz

11 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

You grew up speaking Punjabi, I'm guessing you went to a school where you spoke Punjabi, you spoke Punjabi with your friends, siblings and cousins.

Your children who are going to school in New Zealand speak to their classmates in English, they watch English TV. If they marry a Sikh who was also born in New Zealand then they will speak to their partner in English, your grandchildren will grow up hearing their parents speak English, they may pick up some Punjabi from you but since you speak decent English your grand children will probably just speak to you in English. Your great grand children may know some Punjabi phrases but that will be all.

That is how it works for every immigrant group throughout the world and throughout history. Show me one example to the contrary.

Like I said if Punjabi language was of the utmost importance to you, you should have stayed in Punjab.

You are speaking as someone  further down the curve, your perspective is different. 

You are telling them their family's future 50-60 years down the line.

More recent immigrants find this hard to grasp.

34 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

You are speaking as someone  further down the curve, your perspective is different. 

You are telling them their family's future 50-60 years down the line.

More recent immigrants find this hard to grasp.

Yep, just look at the descendants of Sikhs who moved to America, Canada, Argentina in the late 19th Century, they can't speak Punjabi at all and who can blame them. Even Italians, who make up the biggest racial group in Argentina can't speak Italian, they only know Spanish.

I'm going to have my own child very soon. I will make every effort to send him to Punjabi school but that's just one or two hours a week. I don't know how much he will learn in that time and whether he will still be interested in going as he gets older. He won't be hearing much Punjabi being spoken between my wife and I, the only place he will hear it regularly is from the grandparents and he'll probably just end up speaking to them in English eventually.

Are there many prakrit words in Punjabi today?

I was queuing outside a shop in the highstreet today and there were like 13 Romanian gyspsies in front of me and when the security guard indicated them to go into the shop, the woman said "chal  jhaa" to her kid nudging him forward  they were standing around 2m in front of me so i didn't hear it properly, so it maybe was "chal chaa" or "Jhal Jhaa"    but it was very similar to punjabi saying chal(go)  jhaa(go)  like how we say chal or jhaa   

they originate from the Punjab region,   many of the romani gypsy men look like Punjabi men!  the women tend to me light though    both the boys standing in front of me looked like punjabis

the boy made his hand into a gun like kids do and started shooting his mum, he then turned around and started shooting me LMAO!  

9 hours ago, puzzled said:

Are there many prakrit words in Punjabi today?

I was queuing outside a shop in the highstreet today and there were like 13 Romanian gyspsies in front of me and when the security guard indicated them to go into the shop, the woman said "chal  jhaa" to her kid nudging him forward  they were standing around 2m in front of me so i didn't hear it properly, so it maybe was "chal chaa" or "Jhal Jhaa"    but it was very similar to punjabi saying chal(go)  jhaa(go)  like how we say chal or jhaa   

they originate from the Punjab region,   many of the romani gypsy men look like Punjabi men!  the women tend to me light though    both the boys standing in front of me looked like punjabis

the boy made his hand into a gun like kids do and started shooting his mum, he then turned around and started shooting me LMAO!  

Bring them home and into the fold. Conduct a Ghar Vapsi program for Romani Gypsies. We need them. ??

Passing on your language should be seen as the same as passing on your religion. Your kids don't need to be MAs or PhDs in Punjabi, they just need to know enough Punjabi to be able to understand  and take part in everyday conversation in the language. Ideally you should want your kids to be able to read and write Punjabi which is easy of one parent knows the language and is able to spend half an hour a day, a few days a week for a year and the child will be able to read and write Punjabi. 

1 hour ago, proactive said:

Passing on your language should be seen as the same as passing on your religion. Your kids don't need to be MAs or PhDs in Punjabi, they just need to know enough Punjabi to be able to understand  and take part in everyday conversation in the language. Ideally you should want your kids to be able to read and write Punjabi which is easy of one parent knows the language and is able to spend half an hour a day, a few days a week for a year and the child will be able to read and write Punjabi. 

Gurudwaras should have educational collectives going. Really a miseducation...a brainwashing in these mayan government schools. 

Not only is the education of the lowest tier, but the social indoctrination is devilish. 

Even schools like oxford produce idiots, be better off home schooling and schooling as a panth. 

9 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Gurudwaras should have educational collectives going. Really a miseducation...a brainwashing in these mayan government schools. 

Not only is the education of the lowest tier, but the social indoctrination is devilish. 

Even schools like oxford produce idiots, be better off home schooling and schooling as a panth. 

I've been pushing that line on here for a while, but nobody seems to be biting. I think we underestimate the relief felt by parents foisting their offspring on state-run indoctrination centres for eight hours, i.e. schools. And then we complain when the children grow up to the opposite of what we hoped they would be. All the discipline and positivity imparted at home largely flies out of the window as soon as the child steps outside the front door; doubly so if the child's sangat / peer group is 5hit. I'm not sure I'd go the Amish route, but if things continue as they are in the West the choice between raising a well-adjusted, wise child instead of a skittish, confused, ideological sponge parrotting the secular doctrines of the day, is becoming apparent with each passing day.

2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Bring them home and into the fold. Conduct a Ghar Vapsi program for Romani Gypsies. We need them. ??

They're crazy fckers they are lol   absolutely lawless lol 

I wonder if they know that they come from the punjab region and know that us sikhs are punjabis. 

In our high street I saw a romanian gypsy woman and Punjabi girl arguing, like proper shouting across the high street and then the gypsy started pointing at the girl and started saying "india india india" and walked off    and then the punjabi girl stuck her arms out and said  "yh india's coming" and then started chasing after her   lol   

Punjabi really isnt that hard to learn. We had a srilanka guy live in our house for rent when I was a kid and after a few years he could speak broken punjabi and understood everything! Lol

Didnt the jews revive Hebrew? I read they revived the language and that they made it a everyday language rather than just using it for religious discourse and prayer. 

It really isnt that hard just need sikh schools and gurdware to cooperate, and some interest from parents!