Christmas trees in houses of Sikhs

JSinghnz

Religious reasons aside it's too much hassle putting the thing up, decorating it, and then taking it down again. Life's too short, lol. I've not had a tree up since 1990 I think! I was only a wee lad back then. :biggrin2:

I know, I lied, I'm not setting up that big ole artificial tree and then decorating the dang thing.

hahahaha

With regards to setting up the tree - yes, its a hassel (hence let the kids do it). Looks nice when its done though.

I was unsure about the Khanda idea - hence asked. I reckon I'll just persuade them to take off the star and replace it with something else. We have a 'Miss Piggy' from the Muppets dressed in xmas festive attire that looks fun and in the spirit of the season. Whatever is up there, I doubt it would offend any locals where we are, because no one appears to associate the tree with the religious bit about the birth of Isa (Jesus).

The way I see it is the tree has nothing to do with religious rituals, it's more of a big business invented ritual lol. I say add a khanda or two, it doesn't matter.

The essence of Christmas is sewa and simran, but they've lost the plot. Come to think of it, maybe we have as well when we remember our shaheeds and Gurpurabs

The way I see it is the tree has nothing to do with religious rituals, it's more of a big business invented ritual lol. I say add a khanda or two, it doesn't matter.

The essence of Christmas is sewa and simran, but they've lost the plot. Come to think of it, maybe we have as well when we remember our shaheeds and Gurpurabs

I think people from all religions has lost a plot somewhat, just have to show up at vaishakhi nagar kirtan and see- how we lot (punjabi sikh community) do bhangra, gidda and have speeches from politicians on a such auspicious occasion.