Buddhism

jaspreet.kaur

Before converting, you need to consider why we have such a wonderful history and why sooooo many gursikhs sacrificed their lives for it. They accepted death over conversion, may it be forceful or by choice. You will never find a path better than Sikhi anywhere in the world. Pray and meditate to find your path.

Sat Sri Akal:

The brief on Buddhism is that everything in this world is materialistic and that will cause you pain. Controlling the senses is also an important aspect. Learn to be free of materialism and you will be free of pain and attain Enlightenment or Nirvana. Buddhism makes no direct commentary on whether God exists or not. They are tyagis, or those who have forsaken everything in this world and wish to live independently of it.

A Sikh first and foremost recognizes that there is One God and the ultimate method of finding peace is to be blessed with the capacity to accept and live in accordance to the Almighty's Hukam or Command. The concepts that the world is full of Maya and causes suffering is present in Sikhism as well, but instead of attaining Nirvana, which speaks nothing of the destiny of the soul after this life, the objective of a Sikh is to dissolve the self and become one with the Almighty.

I have read some Buddhist texts and have found out that all the positive aspects of Buddhism are present in Sikhism already. Your comment about Buddhism being a peaceful religion...what gives the impression that Sikhism was not peaceful? Sikhism's is about obtaining the ultimate peace...that which is within. It teaches and has displayed in history that regardless of the external pressures and violence of the world that the internal peace can be maintained by the Almighty's grace (the history of Shaheeds who did not utter a whimper when under the worst of tortures are not any less peaceful than those in Buddhism).

Now, before you decide to leave Sikhism and become a Buddhist, you owe your current religion at the very least the obligation

of a comparative study. Read the Buddhist texts and then read the Guru Granth Sahib fully. Then make your decision. Basing your decision on whether a religion is peaceful on a superficial impression of the religion and leaving a religion that you are committed to is not a good idea. Nobody is here to force you to stay with Sikhism, but there is a definite need to make sure that any decision that you take is thoroughly thought out and done with complete knowledge of what you are getting out of and into.

If you have any questions or issues about Sikhism or Buddhism, please post them here so they can be discussed.

Religious texts, including Buddhism and Sikhism, are available here. For all those who have these feelings or are just curious (or want to stick it to Jevoha's Witnesses and preachy religious friends :wub: ), please go and read as many of the religious texts on this website. This is not all the texts of all religions, but it certainly is a huge chunk of them. Read all of them if you can and then read the Sikhism's Gurbani. You will notice a difference:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm

I remember when i spent couple of weeks of vacation in Dharamsala and i remember playing with huge vertical spinning Drums and i also remember of having a glimpse of Dalai lama at his house when i was there.. that was when i was kid and i always loved the way they live.. It's amazing and so quite and i still remember the echo sound of budh devotes.. it goes like "Budhum, sharanam, shikaya deh" something like.. (it might be wrong)

Now coming back to some point. Bhuddhism in fact is very peacefull religion but there are some points which conflicts with Khalsa lifestyle.

For example.. if you see injustice happening to you or to others.. You have to fight against that.. You have to make justice win !! Sikhs are like that but buddhist simply won't go far beside doing protesting.

Another point.. To be religious you don't have to be clean shaven and wear just orange and go deep in jungle for meditation.. You have hair because guru jee gave it to you and you don't need location like jungle to concur maan(Mind) "Maan jeetay jaag jeet" (sorry for wrong wordings)

You can find more differences and similarities of sikhs and budhs @ sikhs.org :wub:

And regarding Converting.. Conversion is not in sikhi dictionary at all.. You can accept any lifestyle you want to.. If you think you can reach god by accepting budh lifestyle then choose it but you can't be both at same time because of some/many conflictions between Khalsa way of life and budh way of life. hope that helps..

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Dear Jaspreet Kaur bhainji,

As JSingh ji said, look at our history, the brotherhood of the khalsa, you will not find in any other religion, race, culture, or even history.

Just to clarify your question, ITS NOT RIGHT to "convert", you're turning your back on Dashmesh Pita, Guru Gobind Singh ji, what will happen to your soul when you get to dharam raaj?

Now, as for Buddhism, I've studied bits here and there, I was more focused towards Taoism.

Just to let you know, Buddhism does not beleive in Akaal purkh, although they beleive in the concept of Nirvana which is somewhat similar but they never refer to Nirvanaa as Brahm (God).

khu nwnk Twkur BwrosY khU n mwinE min CInw ]2]11]97]

Says Nanak, I place my faith in my Lord and Master; within my mind, I do not believe in any other, even for an instant. ||2||11||97||

mnmuK mUlu n jwxnI mwxis hir mMdru n hoie ]2]

The self-willed manmukhs do not know anything at all; they do not believe that the Lord's Temple is within. ||2||

I read something very interesting on Buddhism today, how they beleive in the consciousness and the oneness, which I think you're referring to. Guru sahib ji above all tells us, and guides us to reach that stage of

consciousness, through bhagti, naam, simran, which the buddhist do. Just to let you know, there's different types of meditation techniques, not just simran, instead of trying to follow in their lifestyle, apply their teachings, and you'll come out a more enlightened person.

Trust me bhainji, you don't need to go anywhere, all you seek has been given to you, you just have to make the effort to learn.

Bhul chuk muaf!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I used to get real frustrated by rules and guidelines but then I decided that I would forget about everything and let my spirit come first and let Guru ji guide me. Personally I don't follow any guidelines right now (I'm not amrit-dhari so I'm not recommending anyone else follow my path but this is just my path), I meditate on God, listen to kirtan and Japji Sahib and I do not try to compete with anybody else who tells me that I must do an x amount of Japji Sahib paats a day, I just do what I do with love and not quantity. I think I'm learning alot having this attitude, the frustration is sure gone and love grows for everyone.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Just to let you know, Buddhism does not beleive in Akaal purkh, although they beleive in the concept of Nirvana which is somewhat similar but they never refer to Nirvanaa as Brahm (God).

That is the Same thing. NIrvana=Akal Purkh, they don't need to call it god, because their approach is thru Self-Effort, not thru Surrender. :wub: