Where to draw the Open line ?

jkvlondon

It's a difficult one this, to turn people away goes against Sikhi but we have to take into account the time's we live in, most Gurdwara's have CCTV for security but the amount of time I've been to a Gurdwara and it's empty is unbelievable, no one is in the main hall where maharaj is, you can't find a giani for love nor money so who's looking after the place.

In this case i get the feeling he was going to do it regardless, if it wasn't at the Gurdwara he would have taken the chance somewhere else.

I think it is better if we simply attract more people to the gurdwara. Instead of making Sunday the gurdwara day, perhaps if the youth was taught of the importance of sewa or they could use their spare time to read from the books/granths at the gurdwara, the atmosphere would be different and sangat/guru ji would be protected (though it is maharaj ji protecting us and themselves)

4 hours ago, Khalistanisinghni said:

I think it is better if we simply attract more people to the gurdwara. Instead of making Sunday the gurdwara day, perhaps if the youth was taught of the importance of sewa or they could use their spare time to read from the books/granths at the gurdwara, the atmosphere would be different and sangat/guru ji would be protected (though it is maharaj ji protecting us and themselves)

I agree with this.

There was once an issue where a person ripped the SGGSJ.

If we have more sangat we can actually safe guard the Gurdwara.

Many Gurdware today have some Singhs outside and inside guarding the Gurdwara for safety.

6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Given our maryada of acceptance of humanity , where and how should we draw the boundaries at Gurdwarey to ensure safety of sangat ?

http://katu.com/news/local/police-man-asked-to-use-bathroom-at-sikh-temple-attacked-woman-inside

I know everyone regardless of Ethnicity or religion is allowed in a Gurdwara but if one was drunk should they not be allowed? That will just higher the risks of damage.

We need security guards in Gurdwaras. Either pay them or have Singhs voluntarily do this sewa.

Our Guru is our King, our Royal Highness, it is only fit that Pehredars are a must. Its a sign of royalty & respect for our Guru Ji.

Also Bibian need to be more careful & vigilant when alone in places, at off hours.

And given the recent attacks, we should be more vigilant esp when a shady looking person enters.

Just given the current situation in west, Sikhs need to be more vigilant & aware in general.

On 28/03/2017 at 4:37 PM, monatosingh said:

know everyone regardless of Ethnicity or religion is allowed in a Gurdwara but if one was drunk should they not be allowed? That will just higher the risks of damage.

I have never heard of a drunkard being allowed into the Gurdwara before.

It simply wouldn't happen in the UK. Non-Sikhs here know and follow the rules if they want to enter in this respect.

Moreover, especially not at 10pm. Most Gurdwaras close their gates at 8pm.

What were the sewadars thinking? Or did he just intimidate or overpower the few elderly sangat there to make his way in. If not, then the sewadars have some serious questions to answer.

It looks like there is a pub/bar in close proximity to the Gurdwara.

But the thing is, you wouldn't really expect sangat to be inside a Gurdwara at 10PM unless it was some sort of special event.

We should have guards standing outside the Gurdwara at least. Otherwise next time a drunk person goes into a Gurdwara, Waheguru knows what they will do.

4 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Why was the 26 year old Bibi alone in Gurdwara at 10pm ?

Are all Sikh Bibis in Britain stupid !

Singh, let's not start blaming the poor bibi. This was quite unlikely to happen but since it was next to a bar or pub it was most likely to happen.