Guest Singh

Punishment methods for kids

On 5/18/2018 at 3:48 AM, Guest Singh said:

Any guidance in Sikhi about parenting and punishing kids for bad behaviour? How did your parents punish you as child for being bad? Or how do you punish your kids? With strict Punjabi parents, my brother and I always got proper punishments. Normally 5 mins of spanking with a karachi (wooden spoon). Looking back it did hurt but I’m glad my parents did it because it stopped me behaving bad. And I used to behave really bad!

My kids are 8 and 11. I know other options available like grounding or banning TV, but sometimes it’s not enough?

No, hitting kids is wrong. My brothers and sisters were hit as kids and turned out pretty messed up. Many who are hit as children become violent towards others in later life. 

There are plenty of other ways. Google child psychology channels and you can find different more normal and civilized ways of disciplining children. Remember gurbani says that violence is only used as a last resort and unless your kids are trying to kill you, I wouldn’t suggest hitting them. 

38 minutes ago, Sat1 said:

Remember gurbani says that violence is only used as a last resort and unless your kids are trying to kill you, I wouldn’t suggest hitting them. 

What if they're killing the parent from inside, emotionally, can the child be struck?

13 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

What if they're killing the parent from inside, emotionally, can the child be struck?

There’s always another way. Would you hit another adult? If we hit another adult we go to jail.

So why should you hit a child. Are they lesser beings than adults? 

Should we hit old aged pensioners because they’re old and dependent and vulnerable like children are dependent and vulnerable. 

Would you like to be hit if you were vulnerable and dependent on others?

13 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

If you’re killing the child emotionally on the inside should they be allowed to hit you?

25 minutes ago, Sat1 said:

If you’re killing the child emotionally on the inside should they be allowed to hit you?

I'm not killing the child emotionally. Answer my question without asking another question. 😁

The Chapal (shoe) is the most traditional way of punishing a naughty kid. We must keep this legacy of the Sacred Chapal alive... 😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sat1 said:

No, hitting kids is wrong. My brothers and sisters were hit as kids and turned out pretty messed up. Many who are hit as children become violent towards others in later life. 

There are plenty of other ways. Google child psychology channels and you can find different more normal and civilized ways of disciplining children. Remember gurbani says that violence is only used as a last resort and unless your kids are trying to kill you, I wouldn’t suggest hitting them. 

There is a barrier. Hitting the life out of a kid is wrong but giving a kid a slap if they’re naughty is fine. The kid needs to habe a little respect for the parent.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:48 PM, Guest Singh said:

Any guidance in Sikhi about parenting and punishing kids for bad behaviour? How did your parents punish you as child for being bad? Or how do you punish your kids? With strict Punjabi parents, my brother and I always got proper punishments. Normally 5 mins of spanking with a karachi (wooden spoon). Looking back it did hurt but I’m glad my parents did it because it stopped me behaving bad. And I used to behave really bad!

My kids are 8 and 11. I know other options available like grounding or banning TV, but sometimes it’s not enough?

sant baba Gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale said that people beat their children cuz they dont know how to teach them in a loving way. i dont think disciplining a child has anything to do with sikhi honestly.

• Like 1

Does your misbehaving kid have a smartphone? Confiscate it - that’s a good punishment 😂😁

For young people smartphones are life support machines, along with WiFi 🤣

• Haha 2

On 6/1/2020 at 12:20 PM, MisterrSingh said:

I'm not killing the child emotionally. Answer my question without asking another question. 😁

No. You should understand that you should treat others as you would like to be treated, most of all vulnerable people like children and the elderly. People who hit such beings are cowards and abusers. Hitting is abuse regardless of whether your parents thought it to be normal growing up or not. 

If you wouldn’t want to be hit, you shouldn’t hit others, period. 

On 6/1/2020 at 3:16 PM, AkalkiFauj said:

There is a barrier. Hitting the life out of a kid is wrong but giving a kid a slap if they’re naughty is fine. The kid needs to habe a little respect for the parent.

No it isn’t fine. Whoever told you that is an abuser. Why don’t you ask your parents to slap you now and see if you like it. A child is no less of a human than you. Find another way. There’s a reason child helplines help kids who have been hit. Because it’s ABUSE. 

Guest Bali

I’m not joking my Punjabi friend’s parents were seriously strict and used to put a mirch (green chilli) in his bum when he misbehaved and didn’t study. He became the best behaved kid at school and one of the highest achievers. 

I grew up with single parent mum who just told me it’s my choice if I don’t study and want to fail in life. I took advantage of it didn’t study because I knew mum won’t care.  If there was at least some strictness and discipline growing up from my mum, I would have achieved much more from school. I ended up with a rubbish job but my friend became a doctor. 

On 6/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, Sat1 said:

No it isn’t fine. Whoever told you that is an abuser. Why don’t you ask your parents to slap you now and see if you like it. A child is no less of a human than you. Find another way. There’s a reason child helplines help kids who have been hit. Because it’s ABUSE. 

I got the **** beaten out of me and I’ve turned out to become a good person. It also made me quite strong 💪.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, Sat1 said:

We need to keep the tradition alive!!!🙏🏽

*Edit: This is just a joke. Don’t take it seriously.

• Haha 2