When doing simran

buddasingh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

When doing naam simran I usually do it with my hair all open I do this because it helps me cocentrate a lot better, but I was told that this was wrong now why is this? and also why should we do naam simran with our head's covered and wrapped around in a turban, I cannot concentrate...but why is that we have to have our heads covered while doing naam simran?

Sat Sri Akal:

According to the Hukamnamas recorded by Bhai Nand Lal Sahib from Guru Gobind Singh Ji, a Sikh is to maintain a Dastaar on their heads at all times (barring showering of course).

Supposedly (because I have not read with my own eyes), there is a Sakhi of Mai Bhago that goes like this:

"1. Well-known Sikh historian Bhai Sahib Bhai Santokh Singh has given a somewhat detailed description concerning Mai Bhaag Kaur (commonly known as Mai Bhago) of Forty Muktas fame in his well known historical work GUR PARTAP SOORAJ. He mentions that Mai Bhaag Kaur had reached the highest stage of enlightenment and had almost lost her body consciousness...so much so that when her clothes became worn to shreds, she did not care to replace them. Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji called her in His Holy presence and instructed her to always stick to the Gursikh dress as prescribed in the Code of Conduct. In particular, she was ordered to wear Kachhehra and Dastaar. In fact, according to some chroniclers, the Dastaar was tied on her head by the Satguru himself."

http://www.searchsikhism.com/dastaar.html

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

This is what I have heard:

Hair gets us to God, when we do simran it should penetrate through our hair.

We cover our hair because of this. Hair is very special because God dwells in every strand . Covering hair conserves the brain's energy, which leads to more concentration and a sharper mind. By covering our head we are not only showing respect to God, but also making the statement that God is Supreme and Superior to us. We wear a Dastaar to keep out filth, and dirt (in our minds and hygienically). So, not only do we have to cover ours heads during naam simran, we have to keep it covered all the time. I think the Hindus use to do "prayers" to their gods while dancing around with open hair, and Guru Ji refrained us from that.

Sikh Rehatnaama says:

"Those who walk outside, eat or distribute food without their head covered will be punished severely." -Bhai Nand Lal Ji

Gurbani Says:

"With every hair they utter the Lord's Name, and every moment remember they their Lord" - SGGS, 1247

"With every hair, every hair of mine, I meditate on the Lord through the Guru"- SSGS, 443

"In every hair, Dwells the Lord, the annhilator of pride"- SSGS, 344

Hope this helps,

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

why should we do naam simran with our head's covered and wrapped around in a turban, I cannot concentrate...but why is that we have to have our heads covered while doing naam simran?

do you go outside naked on the hottest days of the year?

do you have a drink every time you meet someone new to be kinder?

do you go to a classroom and if tired lie down on the floor and read?

answer to all of the above--no... and also would any of the above questions even enter your mind? NO..

my point...

the questions above don't enter your mind because you are a social being and you choose and learn to adapt the social norms of your community....you choose to be outside clothed, you choose to learn the skills to comfortably meet people without a drink, you choose to sit in a chair in class...

as for simran and covering your head, social norm is an understatement, try "social flare".

fair question on your part. but now give yourself a loving slap on the back of the head and think about what you have chosen... you have chosen to cover your head. if you understand yourself better when not doing simran, you will be able to concentrate better while doing simran.

Sikh Rehatnaama says:

"Those who walk outside, eat or distribute food without their head covered will be punished severely." -Bhai Nand Lal Ji

Oh WOW I feel so much love already!

Ryu Hayabusa, the pleasure and happiness that Sikhs get out of following Guru Ji's rehit cannot be discribed. Many have given up their lives just for the sake of Rehit Maryada. And many others have suffered a lot, just so their rehit doesn't break. Read the autobiography of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji, and learn about how much he had to go through just so he could carry on with his rehit while he was in Jail.

Dhan Guru

Dhan Guru Pyare...