The Psyche of UK Sikhs - This can't end well can it ?

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

On 12/29/2018 at 7:15 PM, Torontobboi said:

Most Canadian Sikhs r closet atheist. They r tanned white ppl they even name their kids white names like Peter Paul ect quite embarassing.

OK, that's stupid and they should get a clue.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:15 PM, Torontobboi said:

Lotta Sikh Canadian even got the white Canadian accent when they speak.

But here, I don't know what you're talking about. 

People are naturally going to pick up the accent of the area in which they live, whether it's Lahore, Jalandhar, Gurgaon, or Toronto.

The problem is not that Canadian Sikhs talk in Canadian English, but if they say anti-Sikh stuff.

Guest GuestSingh
4 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

All I can say is we need to learn to pick our battles. Wearing our hearts on our sleeves is a trait we must discard. Most of the times we think we're being noble and direct is usually a precursor to us falling on our backsides and making fools of ourselves. 

We have a fatal flaw in our nature that is actually quite embarrassing: the desire to be praised and noticed. It's a childish and generally small mindset. It leads us to try and set ourselves apart at the most inopportune moments. We try to emulate the feats of gods and saints -- because we assume that's what they would've wanted -- but we struggle to understand context because we get so high on a sense of certainty that we lose perspective. 

I'm wasting my time. It is beyond us as a race and a people to develop these traits. That's not fatalistic thinking; it's cold facts based on decades of history and experience. Ours is a community that is not so special that it cannot disappear. Pain is a wonderful teacher. Perhaps a harsh lesson is required?

paaji, a lot of the youth today still feel they have no voice among the old folk - they dont listen, lots of pride but little knowledge, so what are boys and girls supposed to do?

sometimes the only way to be taken seriously is taking drastic action i.e. sending home a message loud and clear that these unnecessary and embarrassing attempts to reinforce myths by whitey aint gonna be tolerated anymore.

why should it be forced on us? that aint fair, imo it's actually a vain and lousy attempt to pretending to know history, maybe there's guilt involved and this was the best they came up with?and whos to say they werent warned beforehand? if they dont want to listen, thats up to them but that doesnt mean everyone else has bear the consequences, especially new generations who see themselves living there indefinitely...

you say this tends to lead to our comeuppance but in this case, my view is the opposite - this could act as the catalyst, the 'wake-up' call across the diaspora..and whats the worst that can happen? the statue was paid by sangat - you could say this was their 'harsh lesson'.

41 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

paaji, a lot of the youth today still feel they have no voice among the old folk - they dont listen, lots of pride but little knowledge, so what are boys and girls supposed to do?

sometimes the only way to be taken seriously is taking drastic action i.e. sending home a message loud and clear that these unnecessary and embarrassing attempts to reinforce myths by whitey aint gonna be tolerated anymore.

why should it be forced on us? that aint fair, imo it's actually a vain and lousy attempt to pretending to know history, maybe there's guilt involved and this was the best they came up with?and whos to say they werent warned beforehand? if they dont want to listen, thats up to them but that doesnt mean everyone else has bear the consequences, especially new generations who see themselves living there indefinitely...

you say this tends to lead to our comeuppance but in this case, my view is the opposite - this could act as the catalyst, the 'wake-up' call across the diaspora..and whats the worst that can happen? the statue was paid by sangat - you could say this was their 'harsh lesson'.

I'm referring to generalities: behaviour, mindset, etc. The statue issue is not a problem for me. Protest is a good thing. If that means up-and-coming youngsters succumbing to the odd bit of impetuousness here and there I don't think it's too much of a problem. Other developed races have a social conscience, and every successive generation rallies against the norms of its previous generation. That's how discussions are started, and it's a good thing on the whole. 

But what I'm warning against is dancing to the beat of someone else's drum. And I'm referring to EVERY instance of such situations, not just the  the obvious sort that we can discern to be in opposition to us. More often than not our so-called friends and allies are also taking us for a ride for their own ends, but we rarely, if ever, allow ourselves to challenge them because their language is one of superficial friendship and conciliation, whereas behind the sentiments and kind words lay as much potential problems for us as the issues we'd face from straightforward threats that we identify with ease. That's where my belief that we should pick our battles comes into play. There's a stereotype that we go bustling and charging into battle at the slightest instigation; shoot first, ask questions later. I'm saying we need to change. 

Guest GuestSingh
10 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I'm referring to generalities: behaviour, mindset, etc. The statue issue is not a problem for me. Protest is a good thing. If that means up-and-coming youngsters succumbing to the odd bit of impetuousness here and there I don't think it's too much of a problem. Other developed races have a social conscience, and every successive generation rallies against the norms of its previous generation. That's how discussions are started, and it's a good thing on the whole. 

But what I'm warning against is dancing to the beat of someone else's drum. And I'm referring to EVERY instance of such situations, not just the  the obvious sort that we can discern to be in opposition to us. More often than not our so-called friends and allies are also taking us for a ride for their own ends, but we rarely, if ever, allow ourselves to challenge them because their language is one of superficial friendship and conciliation, whereas behind the sentiments and kind words lay as much potential problems for us as the issues we'd face from straightforward threats that we identify with ease. That's where my belief that we should pick our battles comes into play. There's a stereotype that we go bustling and charging into battle at the slightest instigation; shoot first, ask questions later. I'm saying we need to change. 

hanji, we have to make the effort to adapt if we are to even survive let alone further our own interests - and this is where ur point about simple minds becomes more apparent...

On 12/27/2018 at 9:47 AM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

So....UK Sikhs. We're a peculiar bunch arne't we ?  An unusual bunch in fact. When we go back to Punjab we meet Canadian, American and Australian Sikhs back in the village and the first thing we notice is how proud they are of being Canadian, American and Australian. They proudly display their national flags on their houses, vehicles and clothing and have integrated so well into their home countries that they have reached the very top of society. The Canadian Sikhs especially have adapted so well to that famous American / British hybrid sense of humour that they have reached the very top of that profession too. And then....sadly....there is the UK Sikhs. A very unusual bunch when it comes to interrnational Sikh diasporas in that they are so negative, so pessimistic, so downbeat. Always moaning about this, that or the other with their depressing nature disabling them from being able to see how a lot of the things they are moaning about are actually a lot worse in the other countries I mentioned. Ain't no chardi kala among the UK Sikhs. No....it's all doom and gloom.  I mean there was a recent thread about depression and in it I did try and explain how this is actually the greatest time ever to be alive and life is truly wonderful if we look at it in the right way. But that was ignored and everybody just carried on with their usual depressing thoughts. Let's take a closer look at what we've learned about the UK Sikhs from  a few of my recent threads here on this forum:

1) Absolutely no sense of humour at all. A complete inability to not only laugh but even be able to spot a joke.

2) The only Sikh diaspora that actually hate their own country. Wish it ill-will and insult those that served in it's army.

Just wanna put this question out there then:   With most of you UK Sikhs here hating Britian....hating it's army....hating those that served in it's army - This story of the UK Sikhs can't end well can it ??????   I mean this story has got a very painful end written all over it. ?

Or....is it just the fact that sikhsangat.com is not a very good representative of the general feeling among UK Sikhs ?

The moaning and whinging shows how well the UK Sikhs have integrated into the UK without even realising it.

It is definitely an attitude of older Sikhs (particularly the older generations) to hate the UK.

However,  the majority of the next generations are less likely have this attitude. 

My parents had the same attitude,  but did they leave the UK? No, probably because they know which way their bread is buttered. 

I can bet you these types would defend the UK to the hilt if somebody who is non-UK criticised it.

22 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The moaning and whinging shows how well the UK Sikhs have integrated into the UK without even realising it.

It is definitely an attitude of older Sikhs (particularly the older generations) to hate the UK.

However,  the majority of the next generations are less likely have this attitude. 

My parents had the same attitude,  but did they leave the UK? No, probably because they know which way their bread is buttered. 

I can bet you these types would defend the UK to the hilt if somebody who is non-UK criticised it.

Ranjeet....It's as if you wrote that ^ without bothering to read a single thing the other people here on this forum have written. Here on this forum 90% of the UK people have been saying how much they "hate" the UK and wish it ill-will. Now lets put that into context....hating their own country. Hating the place they were born. Hating the place they are educated in. Hating the place they need to progress in. Hating the place their children are born in. Hating the place their children will need to progress in. And all because of what some random great-great grandfathers of some other random white dudes did 100 or 200 years ago. Think about that for one moment. Think if this is a rational way to think. How is sh$tting on their own doorstep going to help them in anyway ? Do they think those 260 year old great great grandfathers of those white dudes are still alive and hiding behind some bush and by sh$tting on their own doorstep the British born UK Sikhs will be getting sweet revenge by hurting their sentiments out of spite ?  This direction the UK born sangat has taken will hurt nobody but the UK sangat. The rest of the worldwide Sikh diaspora is going forward. The UK sangat is the ONLY one going backwards and in the end it boils down to rational vs irrational thought. There is nothing rational about sh$tting on your own doorstep.

18 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

Ranjeet....It's as if you wrote that ^ without bothering to read a single thing the other people here on this forum have written. Here on this forum 90% of the UK people have been saying how much they "hate" the UK and wish it ill-will. Now lets put that into context....hating their own country. Hating the place they were born. Hating the place they are educated in. Hating the place they need to progress in. Hating the place their children are born in. Hating the place their children will need to progress in. And all because of what some random great-great grandfathers of some other random white dudes did 100 or 200 years ago. Think about that for one moment. Think if this is a rational way to think. How is sh$tting on their own doorstep going to help them in anyway ? Do they think those 260 year old great great grandfathers of those white dudes are still alive and hiding behind some bush and by sh$tting on their own doorstep the British born UK Sikhs will be getting sweet revenge by hurting their sentiments out of spite ?  This direction the UK born sangat has taken will hurt nobody but the UK sangat. The rest of the worldwide Sikh diaspora is going forward. The UK sangat is the ONLY one going backwards and in the end it boils down to rational vs irrational thought. There is nothing rational about sh$tting on your own doorstep.

Jagsaw 

It's just a forum.

I have read what a lot of people have written but I have learnt in life is to follow people's actions not their words.

The majority of people here who $hit on the doorstep either have not been to Punjab enough to see the state of it or have gone to other countries.

The ones who put their money where their mouth is and leave for pastures new for the most part come back.

This is not a particularly a uniquely UK Sikh problem but more of a UK thing.

A lot of our people have suffered extreme levels of racism in the 60's 70's 80's and guess what, they are still here.

They could have gone back or gone to another country. But they haven't and you know why, it's because in spite of all the racial abuse, the UK is better.

The UK Sangat is moving forward but the people who are moving it forward don't make a song and dance about it. 

Jagsaw

Yes. What can I do for you buddy ?

It's just a forum.

Yes. It is a forum. A forum in fact in which the Mod has just stated on the main page that he supports the inclusion of a poster that made statements justifying child sex / underage sex . That's the kind of forum it is.

Smethwick and the vandalised statue of the Sikh soldier in Smethwick however...is not just a forum.

The majority of people here who $hit on the doorstep either have not been to Punjab enough to see the state of it or have gone to other countries.

Exactly. All the things they are constantly complaining about are a lot worse everywhere else. Crime...drugs...alcohol....girls etc....a lot worse in america, canada, india etc. To be a Sikh in the UK this is the greatest, safest and most sober time ever. UK Sikhs just need to learn how to take off those negative depression glasses they they perenially wear and begin to see things more clearly.

The ones who put their money where their mouth is and leave for pastures new for the most part come back.

Well yes, my family are actually one of those you are talking about. Like many....many years ago...we emigrated to Canada. Like most that do...we realised it was much better in London and so came back.

This is not a particularly a uniquely UK Sikh problem but more of a UK thing.

The stupidity, as demonstrated by Brexit etc is deffo a UK thing. I think the whole world now sees the UK as the most uneducated inarticulate country that it actually is rather than the sophisticated one that it used to be able to pretend to be.

As for negativity and pessimism...you don't find it among the Pakistanis and Hindus in the UK.....it most certainly is a peculiar UK Sikh thing.

A lot of our people have suffered extreme levels of racism in the 60's 70's 80's and guess what, they are still here.

The Sikhs in Canada, America, Italy etc have been through things even worse. It just so happens that the UK Sikhs are forever looking for excuses for their negativity.

They could have gone back or gone to another country. But they haven't and you know why, it's because in spite of all the racial abuse, the UK is better.

The UK Sangat is moving forward but the people who are moving it forward don't make a song and dance about it. 

Exactly. This is the greatest time ever to be alive and the UK (especially the south) is the greatest place on earth to be alive in. However, if one were to judge it from the threads and messages on sikhsangat.com, you would think it was armageddeon in the fires of hell.?

23 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

Yes. What can I do for you buddy ?

Yes. It is a forum. A forum in fact in which the Mod has just stated on the main page that he supports the inclusion of a poster that made statements justifying child sex / underage sex . That's the kind of forum it is.

Smethwick and the vandalised statue of the Sikh soldier in Smethwick however...is not just a forum.

Exactly. All the things they are constantly complaining about are a lot worse everywhere else. Crime...drugs...alcohol....girls etc....a lot worse in america, canada, india etc. To be a Sikh in the UK this is the greatest, safest and most sober time ever. UK Sikhs just need to learn how to take off those negative depression glasses they they perenially wear and begin to see things more clearly.

Well yes, my family are actually one of those you are talking about. Like many....many years ago...we emigrated to Canada. Like most that do...we realised it was much better in London and so came back.

The stupidity, as demonstrated by Brexit etc is deffo a UK thing. I think the whole world now sees the UK as the most uneducated inarticulate country that it actually is rather than the sophisticated one that it used to be able to pretend to be.

As for negativity and pessimism...you don't find it among the Pakistanis and Hindus in the UK.....it most certainly is a peculiar UK Sikh thing.

The Sikhs in Canada, America, Italy etc have been through things even worse. It just so happens that the UK Sikhs are forever looking for excuses for their negativity.

Exactly. This is the greatest time ever to be alive and the UK (especially the south) is the greatest place on earth to be alive in. However, if one were to judge it from the threads and messages on sikhsangat.com, you would think it was armageddeon in the fires of hell.?

I would suggest to anyone who does not like the UK to try living in another country for a few months just to see what it is like.

Something like that BBC show "Wanted Down Under". Rent out a place, see how the cost of living pans out. Check out the housing, schooling, employment opportunities etc.

I have come to appreciate the UK a lot more over the years.