Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Today I see many people mix Punjabi culture things with sikhi. Like I personally think that Bhangra, giddha and other things like this aren’t related to sikhi and aren’t allowed for Sikh to do. People need to understand that being Punjabi is different than being a Sikh. Do u guys think that Bhangra and giddha r forbidden in sikhi?? I wanna hear sum more people’s vichar in this

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damaging cultural anti-Sikh practices such as foeticide, dowry, and casteism need to be eliminated. Don't destroy the colourful aspects of our collective character. I don't personally like dancing or any of that crap myself, but as you get older and you look at culture as a subject that informs a unique group's identity, you cannot, or at least shouldn't, eradicate harmless "rang-brang" under the auspices of religious autocracy. The problem arrives when things are indulged in to excess, and that's a problem for Sikhs, because we are prone to extremes. It's a flaw in our character. 

I don't like this Sharia-esque mentality of khattar Sikhs. I'm one myself in certain respects but I know when to pull back and see the bigger picture. Unfortunately, the low-IQ hot-heads are unknowingly sowing the seeds for rebellion against their cause before they've even laid the first brick of the foundations of their movement. If you can't trace the evolution and subsequent stages of a scenario where this type of censorship will be rallied against by your own people who don't share your religious devotion, then you don't deserve what you're aiming for. Open a history book. History is littered with such examples.

Wake up and focus on REAL problems facing Sikhs; that require intelligence and tenacity to tackle, not superfluous, easy side issues that don't matter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That barndancing stuff has gone way too far in my opinion. When outsiders start to define our people by these things, you know something is going wrong. There was a time not long ago when random people, seeing your kara, would say: "Are you Panjabi?" and then start pointing upwards and moving their shoulders up and down, going "balle balle". It's clownish. 

I'm not saying that it should be banned, but the central role this type of crap plays in our society right now is damaging. It's shallow, looks gay and is usually craftily wrapped around insidious ideas of caste.

We need to be going in another direction altogether.

When younguns are going to 'Vasakhi celebrations', and generally getting the idea of it being a good ole knees-up, missing all the important themes of Khalsa (sacrifice, unity, bravery, honour, equality, political and social self-assertion, military confidence etc.) that define our dharam and helped our ancestors overcome unbelievable challenges, we are just dumbing them down and failing to impart any identity of depth to them. When we have our young girls dancing around on stages for all to gawp at (like what commonly happens these days), it just encourages the stereotype of wantonness and dumbness to communities who like to infiltrate these events but would never allow their own daughters/sisters to act this way. 

Let's not even talk about the whole drunkard thing wrapped around this culture too.......

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

 There was a time not long ago when random people, seeing your kara, would say: "Are you Panjabi?" and then start pointing upwards and moving their shoulders up and down, going "balle balle". It's clownish. 

Maybe they thought they could clown you because they could get away with it? 😁 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

That barndancing stuff has gone way too far in my opinion. When outsiders start to define our people by these things, you know something is going wrong. There was a time not long ago when random people, seeing your kara, would say: "Are you Panjabi?" and then start pointing upwards and moving their shoulders up and down, going "balle balle". It's clownish. 

I'm not saying that it should be banned, but the central role this type of crap plays in our society right now is damaging. It's shallow, looks gay and is usually craftily wrapped around insidious ideas of caste.

We need to be going in another direction altogether.

When younguns are going to 'Vasakhi celebrations', and generally getting the idea of it being a good ole knees-up, missing all the important themes of Khalsa (sacrifice, unity, bravery, honour, equality, political and social self-assertion, military confidence etc.) that define our dharam and helped our ancestors overcome unbelievable challenges, we are just dumbing them down and failing to impart any identity of depth to them. When we have our young girls dancing around on stages for all to gawp at (like what commonly happens these days), it just encourages the stereotype of wantonness and dumbness to communities who like to infiltrate these events but would never allow their own daughters/sisters to act this way. 

Let's not even talk about the whole drunkard thing wrapped around this culture too.......

   

giphy.gif

This is the kind of barnyard I like yee-haw!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Maybe they thought they could clown you because they could get away with it? 😁 

It's really not that complicated. Pendus had made that balle balle culture so synonymous with Sikhs in the past, that even eastern europeans and other whites corelated the two (barn dance culture and Sikhs). Now that culture might be your culture (?) but it isn't the culture of a lot of Sikhs, and even with this, many Sikhs from this background don't really identify with all that colourful prancing about anyway. Remember this recently?

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/amritsar/sikh-and-punjabi-culture-different-takht-jathedar/amp_articleshow/73468164.cms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The link between Sikhs and bhangra/giddah should be even less prominent than the link between english people and this poncey crap:

TimelyShallowHen-size_restricted.gif 

They don't exactly define themselves by their own barn dancing culture - some of our lot need to learn a lesson or two from this. Bwaaahhhh!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

It's really not that complicated. Pendus had made that balle balle culture so synonymous with Sikhs in the past, that even eastern europeans and other whites corelated the two (barn dance culture and Sikhs). Now that culture might be your culture (?) but it isn't the culture of a lot of Sikhs, and even with this, many Sikhs from this background don't really identify with all that colourful prancing about anyway. Remember this recently?

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/amritsar/sikh-and-punjabi-culture-different-takht-jathedar/amp_articleshow/73468164.cms

True say. I also can't stand the excessive clowning around. I have come to value the sombre, authentic village depictions of it, which are comparatively tolerable to, say, the obnoxious diaspora interpretations of it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

True say. I also can't stand the excessive clowning around. I have come to value the sombre, authentic village depictions of it, which are comparatively tolerable to, say, the obnoxious diaspora interpretations of it all.

Yeah, some of our indigenous culture has turned into some unrecognisable, out of control, embarrassing beast in the diaspora. The ostentation our lot frequently display is cringeworthy.......garish, superfluous - the very opposite of restrained. 

 

We need to get serious in an increasingly unpredictable world too. I mean look at these brothers currently in the US:

Rooftop Sikhs supporting Black Lives Matter while protecting their business

wcva5xhald251.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Yeah, some of our indigenous culture has turned into some unrecognisable, out of control, embarrassing beast in the diaspora. The ostentation our lot frequently display is cringeworthy.......garish, superfluous - the very opposite of restrained. 

I use to think the obnoxious materialism was perhaps an exclusively Punjabi trait, but having dug a little deeper in recent months, I've realised it's very much an Indian trait regardless of regional geography. It just manifests in different forms according to the common cultural traits of the group in question. Unfortunately for us, it's all-too in your face, and difficult to avoid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does bhangra make you drive faster, or driving fast just makes turn the volume up higher  it's one or the other lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Yeah, some of our indigenous culture has turned into some unrecognisable, out of control, embarrassing beast in the diaspora. The ostentation our lot frequently display is cringeworthy.......garish, superfluous - the very opposite of restrained. 

 

We need to get serious in an increasingly unpredictable world too. I mean look at these brothers currently in the US:

Rooftop Sikhs supporting Black Lives Matter while protecting their business

wcva5xhald251.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a  

Black Lives won't matter a lot when they are getting looted.

Those rifles aren't shotguns, they look semi-automatic to me.

In parts of the US, with more Asian (East Asian as well as South Asian), Hispanic and other minorities will start to resent Black Lives Matter.

They will be asking questions and they won't fall for the 400 years of slavery/oppression line that is spouted on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, puzzled said:

Does bhangra make you drive faster, or driving fast just makes turn the volume up higher  it's one or the other lol

That's another cringe-inspiring manifestation. 

 

The oafish young brother in his father's big ride, with a big Khanda hanging from his mirror, blaring monotonous bhangra down the road. I think people are getting clued up about how dumb this looks in eastside though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Black Lives won't matter a lot when they are getting looted.

Those rifles aren't shotguns, they look semi-automatic to me.

In parts of the US, with more Asian (East Asian as well as South Asian), Hispanic and other minorities will start to resent Black Lives Matter.

They will be asking questions and they won't fall for the 400 years of slavery/oppression line that is spouted on.

 

Yeah, look like semi-autos. What has the brother on the left got wrapped around his nozzle though? 

Look, people have been ducking the race issue for way too long. It is going to come to a head globally, sooner or later. And African-Americans have always been at the forefront of this.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I use to think the obnoxious materialism was perhaps an exclusively Punjabi trait, but having dug a little deeper in recent months, I've realised it's very much an Indian trait regardless of regional geography. It just manifests in different forms according to the common cultural traits of the group in question. Unfortunately for us, it's all-too in your face, and difficult to avoid.

Yeah, and let's face it - it makes us look like dumb, charactertures of humans........... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use