Sign in to follow this  
learningkaur

Do Amritdhari women need to cover their head 24/7?

I would like to know different views on women and covering their head after taking amrit. I’ve read in gurbani to cover your head when preparing food and eating. A 5 k is kesh. I think akj see kesh as dastar regardless of male or female while eg nanaksar see it as keeping your hair uncut.

I guess I am asking, is a dastar compulsory for a amritdhari female or is a chunni ok, or is nothing okay day to day and is it only required at certain times? I have a lot of female family members who only wear a chunni to gurdwara and nothing otherwise, yet they have taken amrit. They don’t wear a kirpan either. When I say I would want to fully wear a kirpan and dastar if I am ever lucky enough to take amrit, they think I’m extreme and over the top. I also wouldn’t wear makeup and jewellery but they all do. So I wonder am I the one who is assuming this is required which is making me delay amrit for longer as I’m not ready to wear a dastar and completely make those changes (I need my ego to lessen) or am I the one misunderstanding and is it okay to do what they do and therefore I am delaying it when I could do it sooner.

2 hours ago, learningkaur said:

I would like to know different views on women and covering their head after taking amrit. I’ve read in gurbani to cover your head when preparing food and eating. A 5 k is kesh. I think akj see kesh as dastar regardless of male or female while eg nanaksar see it as keeping your hair uncut.

I guess I am asking, is a dastar compulsory for a amritdhari female or is a chunni ok, or is nothing okay day to day and is it only required at certain times? I have a lot of female family members who only wear a chunni to gurdwara and nothing otherwise, yet they have taken amrit. They don’t wear a kirpan either. When I say I would want to fully wear a kirpan and dastar if I am ever lucky enough to take amrit, they think I’m extreme and over the top. I also wouldn’t wear makeup and jewellery but they all do. So I wonder am I the one who is assuming this is required which is making me delay amrit for longer as I’m not ready to wear a dastar and completely make those changes (I need my ego to lessen) or am I the one misunderstanding and is it okay to do what they do and therefore I am delaying it when I could do it sooner.

Yes bibian should keep their heads covered at all times. And I believe it should be Nd normally is same for the men. I think a Amritdhari Sikh should keep a keski on at all times instead of jus a cloth, but some believe different. I believe that just like u need a gatra with a kirpan, we should have a keski with our kesh

• Like 3

Yea you can wear a chunni but ive seen that a chunni falls off frequently. So maybe a thicker cloth and just pin it so it doesnt open. 

ive seen both in taksal and nihung dals. And honestly they dont make a big deal about it. Its your sharda/bhavna

• Like 1

My massi in Canada took Amrit a few years ago, shes the only person in my entire family that is Amritdhari. She ties a patka and then wears a chunni on top.

My Nani used to keep her head covered at all times, she even used to go to sleep with her chunni wrapped around her! Whenever her chunni used to slip off she straight away used to cover her head again, like straight away. As a kid i found it funny and used to tell my mum that Bibi doesn't even let her chunni slip off for a second. Now i'm older i understand, they lived with dignity and poise. 

Women have turned it into a fashion accessory  that you just fling around your neck. Today my mum and sister were getting ready to go Gurdwara, and my sister was standing there holding her chunni in her hand and it was all on the floor and her foot was on it and i said to her her chunni is on the floor and her reply was "yh i know"   

• Like 2

Ok thanks.

Still confused as to why there’s so many differences amongst different groups of people on something which is kind of black and white. I suppose some will change their interpretation to suit themselves.

1 minute ago, learningkaur said:

Ok thanks.

Still confused as to why there’s so many differences amongst different groups of people on something which is kind of black and white. I suppose some will change their interpretation to suit themselves.

The requirement is to keep your hair uncut and clean. Yes, everyone has their own interpretation of how to do it. Don't feel any pressure to do it a certain way you need to find what works for you. But generally yes you want to keep your hair covered to keep it clean

On 6/21/2020 at 2:33 PM, learningkaur said:

Ok thanks.

It is simple. Keep it clean and covered all the time. Depends your avasthaa and karam  and you may change it as per need of your soul. So, basic minimum thing to do is - cover it. 

• Like 1

Dastaars are our pride. Don one, you'll feel like Maharaj is holding your head. It'll look good too. Gore love it when there are people tying Dastaars on them and you won't have to worry about a chunni falling off.

34 minutes ago, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

Dastaars are our pride. Don one, you'll feel like Maharaj is holding your head. It'll look good too. Gore love it when there are people tying Dastaars on them and you won't have to worry about a chunni falling off.

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Why is that worth mentioning?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Why is that worth mentioning?

Understand but thought it might encourage others and by Gore I didn't mean just white people but all. You've probs seen the Dastaar tying events that go on and it shows that if people of other faiths like the Dastaar we should too - that was my point.

4 minutes ago, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

Understand but thought it might encourage others and by Gore I didn't mean just white people but all. You've probs seen the Dastaar tying events that go on and it shows that if people of other faiths like the Dastaar we should too - that was my point.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1