Are Sikhs addicted to appeasing "others" at their own cost

Guest amar

3 hours ago, proudkaur21 said:

Langar has not given us anything...... just made us into free food religion. People in the west are not really starving and also they already have food banks that give free food.

I don't think that's true. Some poorer Sikh families might be grateful for langar - or the kids at least. 

3 hours ago, proudkaur21 said:

I have stopped watching YouTube videos on harmandir sahib for this very reason. I'm irritated by the largest free kitchen,  serves this many people opening lines now. At this point people think Sikhi=food. The problem is there is too much emphasis on langar when there is so much to Sikhi.

Do you think this might contribute to why (anecdotally) we seem to have lots of obese people in the panth? Or is that a myth?  

4 hours ago, Kau89r8 said:

ya i know ..i saw Ravi interview on KA and he made points that  reason why he created Khalsa Aid was after 84, Sikhs were known to be 'terrorists'. and wanted to show what Sikhi was about and Khalsa about humanity. If we relied on India news, we'd just known to be terrorists. He also said that we can only talk about Khalistan and our rights if ppl know what Khalsa stands for. I understand where he is coming from a good place to bring good pr to Sikhs. 

He deserves credit for what he has done,. Ya i dont agree with all but then again im just talking hes doing the walk. If we have those doing langar seva, then and home where we are living we should invest in bringing the warrior back. Boxing etc 

Mmm..not sure how much impact on perception he's had. The west was either ignorant of who Sikhs are or knew they weren't terrorists and that's still the case. Hindustan which are the only people stupid and crazy enough to try and label us terrorists, continue to do so. So I'd say he's actually had basically zero impact on perception. 

58 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I don't think that's true. Some poorer Sikh families might be grateful for langar - or the kids at least. 

Yeah I think I didnt make myself clear. Langar photo ops in western countries has not really done anything for us that's what I meant. Like our people have just turned the concept of langar into a PR stunt at this point.

5 minutes ago, proudkaur21 said:

Yeah I think I didnt make myself clear. Langar photo ops in western countries has not really done anything for us that's what I meant. Like our people have just turned the concept of langar into a PR stunt at this point.

And we should use it as such to a degree. It should be just one of ten things we do though. 

Nihangs keep popping off like they should, then the mass majority of the Paanth seems to get nervous. Back your bros when they do their Nihang things. 

Yeah he cut that corrupt pos cops hand off for impeding food and medical supplies, for breaking his window, for spraying glass in his face, for beating his head with a lathi which is lethal.  Cop lost a hand? Sounds like mercy to me. Should have been his head. 

So yes we need Langar pr, and we need to be doing a lot more for each other within the Paanth, thriving sperately, staying Nirmal, and also we need to be doing our duty to Dharam unapologetically. 

Combine taking care of your own, with feeding and helping the needy and innocent or those in hard times, with being known to handle all conflicts necessary? Be willing to fight criminal and cop alike? That's how you expload a Paanth. 

Every time a politician of ours runs they're never good enough for us. We might want to look at that from a few sides. 

Should we diversify and intensify what we do as a Paanth to be more Purtan in our Gursikhi? Yes. Should we continue Langar? Yes. Should we laugh at it? Probably not.