Why our freedom movement died out?

shastarSingh

Just now, Ranjeet01 said:

And it is this open love for materialism and gratification that has meant they have no desire for a freedom movement. 

The freedom movement was built on a higher ideal and the people now are not going to sacrifice their newly found material comforts. 

/ end thread.

Although, I might add that only the disenfranchised and those in poverty (i.e. those who don't have access to those material comforts) will gravitate to such movements, because of the promises of a brighter and better day, i.e. a way out of their current predicament.

Hopium.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

It's true.

The prize of inheritance was always in the back of their minds even when they were pulling their weight. They knew it was an inevitability that they'd get their rewards after decades of loyal service to elders, etc. but (and here's the most important issue) it was something they chose not to linger on or discuss openly because of issues of propriety, decorum or sharam. The only thing that's changed is their exposure to gross western materialism and how that particular worldview has merged with the Eastern simple-minded, rural mindset where too much too soon just cannot be processed by these people.

Simply put, their patience to keep up the pretence of contentment has vanished. What was suppressed for various cultural reasons is now out in the open, and they don't care who knows about it. They just know they want it, and NOW.

Some strong points there. 

If sociopathy is as rampant in the rural community as it appears, could it be it's just that coming out of the shadows,  in a climate where it isn't something to be ashamed about anymore. Which could explain what you're saying.   

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

And it is this open love for materialism and gratification that has meant they have no desire for a freedom movement. 

The freedom movement was built on a higher ideal and the people now are not going to sacrifice their newly found material comforts. 

That's what I'm thinking. That Jagjit Singh book pretty much explicitly states as much. He uses this phenomena to explain the lack of fight against the british in comparison to the afghs/mogs. 

People only sacrifice or put up with hardships if they have a very strong belief in the 'ideological' basis of what they are fighting for.   Be this 'religious' or political. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

/ end thread.

Although, I might add that only the disenfranchised and those in poverty (i.e. those who don't have access to those material comforts) will gravitate to such movements, because of the promises of a brighter and better day, i.e. a way out of their current predicament.

Hopium.

And they'll be getting manipulated into dying by people who innately gravitate to leadership positions, say all the right things, fool the masses, whilst only having selfish objectives. 

2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

And they'll be getting manipulated into dying by people who innately gravitate to leadership positions, say all the right things, fool the masses, whilst only have selfish objectives. 

Exactly. Add religious fervour and conviction into the mix, and you've got a ready-made army of the aggrieved prepared to fight for a revolution