What's happening with male Sikh names?

10 hours ago, proudkaur21 said:

Sikhs had such beautiful names  Baghel singh, Zorawer singh, Fateh Singh when did this manpreet harpreet came into being? It just shows cultural decadence.

Umm, you surely realize that Man-preet and Har-Preet exist in Gurbani, right?

Here's just one for Har-Preet:
ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਖਾਈ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਚੂਕਾ ਆਵਣੁ ਜਾਣੁ ਜੀਉ ॥

He embraces love for God (Har-Preet) and God's Name becomes his helper and his wanderings, comings and going come to an end. p243

If you've ever recited Sukhmani Sahib, you know that Man-Preet is used by Guru Arjan Dev ji:

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥੮॥੧੨॥
p278
(O, Guru) Nanak, He who repeats the Name with love in the mind (Man-Preet).

Baghel and Zorawar are great names, but Manpreet and Harpreet are not signs of decay.

16 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

Names like Arshdeep and Sukhdeep should also be avoided in the west. 

I disagree, bro. Parents should name their children what they would like to, but they don't need to be afraid of "Oh, what will the gore say!"

I mean, gore have names like:

Di-ck (short for Richard, means ਲਿੰਗ in slang)

Randy (short for Randolph, means sexually excited in British slang)

People have last names Koch and Weiner (means pe n is in slang).

Asians have last name Ling (means pe n is in Punjabi).

If they're not ashamed, why should we be ashamed to be named "lamp of the heavens" or "lamp of peace"?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BhForce said:

Umm, you surely realize that Man-preet and Har-Preet exist in Gurbani, right?

Here's just one for Har-Preet:
ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਖਾਈ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਚੂਕਾ ਆਵਣੁ ਜਾਣੁ ਜੀਉ ॥

He embraces love for God (Har-Preet) and God's Name becomes his helper and his wanderings, comings and going come to an end. p243

If you've ever recited Sukhmani Sahib, you know that Man-Preet is used by Guru Arjan Dev ji:

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥੮॥੧੨॥
p278
(O, Guru) Nanak, He who repeats the Name with love in the mind (Man-Preet).

Baghel and Zorawar are great names, but Manpreet and Harpreet are not signs of decay.

What I mean is the names are so similar like majority of Punjabi have names like gurpreet harpreet harinder. Old school names are barely used. Its just weird to have majority of names sound so similar. The names are not an issue its the fact that literally majority of the names are so similar with no variation

• Like 2
1 minute ago, proudkaur21 said:

What I mean is the names are so similar like majority of Punjabi have names like gurpreet harpreet harinder. Old school names are barely used. Its just weird to have majority of names sound so similar. The names are not an issue its the fact that literally majority of the names are so similar with no variation

Ok, yeah, because a lot of them are same-ish, people lose appreciation for that, I can see that. Gur-Preet is fine because we're supposed have love of Guru ji.

A lot of other prefix/suffix names are undecipherable because parents just threw together syllables without a thought to the meaning.

There are a lot of non-suffix names available if parents would bother to read Gurbani and other Sikh literature.

Or even ordinary Punjabi words, like ਰੰਗੀਨ (Rungeen, colorful).

On 8/6/2022 at 9:04 AM, MisterrSingh said:

Har5hit, Hardik, etc. The "Har" aspect is self explanatory and not uncommon, but what's the craic with "5hit" and "dik"?

OK, I figured out what Har5hit means.

The base shows up in Gurbani as ਹਰਖ and ਹਰਸ (harkh and haras).

It means happiness, delight.

ਦਰਸਨ ਪਰਸਨ ਸਰਸਨ ਹਰਸਨ ਰੰਗਿ ਰੰਗੀ ਕਰਤਾਰੀ ਰੇ ॥੧॥

On beholding and touching it, I am sweetened and delighted. It is imbued with creator's love. p404

ਹਰਖੁ ਸੋਗੁ ਸਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥
harakh sog sabh moh gavaia .p122 

Happiness sadness and attachment were all lost.

ਹਰਸ਼ਿਤ would be the adjectival form and simply means happy or delighted. Like ਅਨੰਦ -> ਅਨੰਦਿਤ.

If you want to name your child "Happy" you can use an alternative form such as Harkhit, which would mean the same thing because sh can become kh in Punjabi. (Often not so for Hindi/Sanskrit). There doesn't seem to be a reason for a Punjabi to use a Hindi form, unless they are self-haters.

10 hours ago, BhForce said:

ਹਾਰਦਿਕ (Haardik) means "from the heart". People commonly use the word in phrases like ਹਾਰਦਿਕ ਸੁਆਗਤ (hearty welcome) or ਹਾਰਦਿਕ ਧੰਨਵਾਦ (hearty thanks).

I don't see anything wrong with that name.

The other, I don't know about. What's the way they spell it in Gurmukhi?

Singh of the Heartfelt yep scans great...how about lovepreet  (double ironic) Manpreet is bad as we are meant to love Akal Purukh not our Man , I could understand Livleen  not Lovleen     people don't know Punjabi/gurmukhi or sanskrit  meanings and just make a mess creating milgoba hindu sounding names

I disagree, bro. Parents should name their children what they would like to, but they don't need to be afraid of "Oh, what will the gore say!"

I mean, gore have names like:

Di-ck (short for Richard, means ਲਿੰਗ in slang)

Randy (short for Randolph, means sexually excited in British slang)

People have last names Koch and Weiner (means pe n is in slang).

Asians have last name Ling (means pe n is in Punjabi).

If they're not ashamed, why should we be ashamed to be named "lamp of the heavens" or "lamp of peace"?

Living in the West most of us are aware of humorous sexual or biological colloquial terms. There's a difference between a surname -- that largely cannot be changed -- and intentionally burdening a child with a dodgy forename from a long list of non-dodgy possibilities. I wouldn't use my child to make a haughty cultural argument in order to highlight gorah ignorance. The kid has to go out into the world and live with his/her name every day of their life. Doing it out of ignorance is one thing; purposefully bestowing a horrible name where someone will be victim to guffaws (despite knowing the implications of the name) their entire life is the height of cruelty.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Singh of the Heartfelt yep scans great...how about lovepreet  (double ironic) Manpreet is bad as we are meant to love Akal Purukh not our Man , I could understand Livleen  not Lovleen     people don't know Punjabi/gurmukhi or sanskrit  meanings and just make a mess creating milgoba hindu sounding names

Wow, Sister, could you please read my post again? I refuse to believe you as a long-time poster have never recited Sukhmani Sahib.

Even old ladies in the village instantly recognize the verse

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥

as being from Sukhmani Sahib.

You have to take the Gurmat meaning of phrases.

If you name your child Gur-Preet, it does not mean your son is "A Guru named Preet". It means "Love of Guru". You wouldn't interpret the phrase the same you would "Gur-Nanak".

Man-Preet does not mean "Love of Mann". It means "Love in mind".

If you seriously think Manpreet means love of mind, what do you think Guru Arjan Dev ji was trying to convey in the verse above?

10 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I wouldn't use my child to make a haughty cultural argument in order to highlight gorah ignorance.

I get what you're saying.

But:

1) I'm not saying that parents should name their children certain names for the sake of it to shock the goras.

Rather, I think they should pick whatever name they want to pick and not worry about the goras.

2) One reason I think so is I'm tired of other people living free and us cowering.

Screw them!

ਇਉ ਤੀਸਰ ਮਜਹਬ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਪਰਧਾਨਾ॥
In this way, the third religion, Khalsa, was born as presiding. (Bhai Gurdas II)

3) Note that some of the examples I gave are indeed first names.

Somehow or another, goras can turn off the stupidity meter when calling someone "Di ck", but they can't when calling them Hardi k ?

I mean, you could just go with, "Hi, my name's Hard ik, you can call me Dic k"

A former Vice President of the US was Di ck Cheney.

Noone called him Richard.

11 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

how about lovepreet  (double ironic)

I agree, Lovepreet (somewhat common these days) is hilarious.

Or, were their parents thinking it is ਲਵ-ਪ੍ਰੀਤ, love of Luv, the son of Ram Chander and the founder of the city of Lahore?

On 8/6/2022 at 9:04 AM, MisterrSingh said:

Har5hit, Hardik, etc. The "Har" aspect is self explanatory and not uncommon, but what's the craic with "5hit" and "dik"?

Hardik is short for Har-Richard Singh 😂

• Haha 2

Or, were their parents thinking it is ਲਵ-ਪ੍ਰੀਤ, love of Luv, the son of Ram Chander and the founder of the city of Lahore?

Not our ignoramuses. They haven't got a clue.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, BhForce said:

Wow, Sister, could you please read my post again? I refuse to believe you as a long-time poster have never recited Sukhmani Sahib.

Even old ladies in the village instantly recognize the verse

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥

as being from Sukhmani Sahib.

You have to take the Gurmat meaning of phrases.

If you name your child Gur-Preet, it does not mean your son is "A Guru named Preet". It means "Love of Guru". You wouldn't interpret the phrase the same you would "Gur-Nanak".

Man-Preet does not mean "Love of Mann". It means "Love in mind".

If you seriously think Manpreet means love of mind, what do you think Guru Arjan Dev ji was trying to convey in the verse above?

jas preet one who loves gurjas  praise of Akal Purakh yes/no?

gur preet one who loves Guru/Waheguru yes/no ?

so yes the literal meaning is the one who loves the man 

giving the said pangti the full context is changed to show  the man is altered by naam to become filled with love  for  Akal Purakh /Guru app parmeshwar

• Like 1
20 hours ago, BhForce said:

I get what you're saying.

But:

1) I'm not saying that parents should name their children certain names for the sake of it to shock the goras.

Rather, I think they should pick whatever name they want to pick and not worry about the goras.

2) One reason I think so is I'm tired of other people living free and us cowering.

Screw them!

ਇਉ ਤੀਸਰ ਮਜਹਬ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਪਰਧਾਨਾ॥
In this way, the third religion, Khalsa, was born as presiding. (Bhai Gurdas II)

3) Note that some of the examples I gave are indeed first names.

Somehow or another, goras can turn off the stupidity meter when calling someone "Di ck", but they can't when calling them Hardi k ?

I mean, you could just go with, "Hi, my name's Hard ik, you can call me Dic k"

A former Vice President of the US was Di ck Cheney.

Noone called him Richard.

It's not exactly like they don't do it to their own. Jeremy 'Hunts' alternative name for instance. And if you think working class goras aren't all giggly and smirky when it comes to dodgy names of their own - you're wrong. Unless the holder of the offending name, is someone who is known for violent reactions and poses a threat to them.  

I would give these names a wide berth:

Sukhdeep

Sukhmeet

Mandeep

Baldeep (maybe?)

Arshdeep (definitely!) 

• Haha 1