degradation of kirtan

drawrof

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drawof, u seem to be contradicting yourself.

On one hand you are saying that kirtan should be done in raags when being done in guru sahiubs darbar.

But than on the other hand you are saying, "guruji's wisdom, snd our heart being pierced by gurbani should get us into sikhi...not tunes! "

101595[/snapback]

thank u gurpreet singh...i was gonna say the same

k,

you're missing my point........

kirtan should be done in raag, in the genre as established by guruji

ie. alaahniya

ie. dhrupadh

ie. vaars

ie. khayal (mittar pyaray nu)

to make myself clear as you have clearly not read the sequence of the posts,

it is the gurbani that pierces you, and guruji's wisdom that pierces you...how? you get touched by the words...but what is the context of those words? well the only way to truly know that is by the nuances....and that is given in raag.

ie. raag gauri deepki..deepaki can light candles if done in its pristine form, now imagine a naam abhyaasi gurmukh singing that...houses can go on fire!!

there is no contradiction! my point was in reference to "people being drawn into sikhi by non-raag music" as mentioned by daasn daas ji.....well it is not the music, that should draw in people...the music is there to compliment the bani and guru ji has been specific and exact in how that should be done...there are shabads that are

sorathbhigauribhi...combination of the 2 raags, where the avroh is one and the antra is another raag!

let me be clear again, music has the power to change seasons, and certain specific measures precisely do...gurbani can change the world, so lets give it that respect

at the beginning of most compositions, Maharaj clearly indicates in which raag it is to be played. Going against Maharaj's exlicit hukam in Guru Granth Sahib is manmat and hence unacceptable from the point of view of Sikhi.

Not playing kirtan in raag and hiding sin and incompetence behind the cheap excuse of "pyaar for Maharaj" is even more insulting. If you really love Maharaj than obey his command: learn and play raags. If it says raag Dhanasri then play raag Dhanasri and nothing else. As Guru Gobind Singh puts it: 'Rehat Pyari Mujhko ,Sikh Pyara Nahin'

Kirtan has its rahit, going against it is manmat. :e:

at the beginning of most compositions, Maharaj clearly indicates in which raag it is to be played. Going against Maharaj's exlicit hukam in Guru Granth Sahib is manmat and hence unacceptable from the point of view of Sikhi.

Not playing kirtan in raag and hiding sin and incompetence behind the cheap excuse of "pyaar for Maharaj" is even more insulting. If you really love Maharaj than obey his command: learn and play raags. If it says raag Dhanasri then play raag Dhanasri and nothing else. As Guru Gobind Singh puts it: 'Rehat Pyari Mujhko ,Sikh Pyara Nahin'

I totally agree with drawrof, not singing Kirtan in Raag is a direct insult to Guru Ji, but I guess no one cares when doing something takes time to learn. Anyone can hide behind the veil of "how do you know how much love he has?", and break the maryada. Ever noticed how the "love" card doesnt fit in when people talk about aspects such as kesh, sarbloh bibek, type of kirpan you wear, how long your kacheras nala is etc etc etc. In those "debates", if you love Guru Ji then you follow sarbloh bibek, if you dont follow it then you dont love Guru Ji, seems that no one is able to make the comparison when it comes to Kirtan Maryada.

YOU GUYS HAVE LOST THE PLOT WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THAT SOMONE IS WRONG OR "DISGUSTING "FOR SINGING KEERTAN/SIMRAN IN ANY STYLE OTHER HTAN RAAG, YOU GUYZ HAVEN;T EVEN UNDERSTOOD THE BASIC CONCEPT OF SIKHI. IF YOU HAVE NTO FELT LIKE SHOUTING OUT GURMANTAR OUT OF LOVE THEN YOU HAVE NO PLACE TO JUDGE

YOU GUYS HAVE LOST THE PLOT WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THAT SOMONE IS WRONG OR "DISGUSTING "FOR SINGING KEERTAN/SIMRAN IN ANY STYLE OTHER HTAN RAAG, YOU GUYZ HAVEN;T EVEN UNDERSTOOD THE BASIC CONCEPT OF SIKHI.  IF YOU HAVE NTO FELT LIKE SHOUTING OUT GURMANTAR OUT OF LOVE THEN YOU HAVE NO PLACE TO JUDGE

101615[/snapback]

I agree