Aarti At Sri Hazoor Sahib

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I would just like to share my interpretation of "Aarti" i may be wrong but please correct me in that case.

rwgu DnwsrI mhlw 1 ]

Raag Dhanaasaree, First Mehl

ggn mY Qwlu riv cMdu dIpk bny qwirkw mMfl jnk moqI ]

Upon that cosmic plate of the sky, the sun and the moon are the lamps. The stars and their orbs are the studded pearls

DUpu mlAwnlo pvxu cvro kry sgl bnrwie PUlµq joqI ]1]

The fragrance of sandalwood in the air is the temple incense, and the wind is the fan. All the plants of the world are the altar flowers in offering to You, O Luminous Lord. ||1||

kYsI AwrqI hoie ] Bv KMfnw qyrI AwrqI ]

What a beautiful Aartee, lamp-lit worship service this is! O Destroyer of Fear, this is Your Ceremony of Light.

Okay, heres how i personally think of it. Guru Nanak Dev Ji is kinda like saying that the sky is the plate on which the lights are (the hindus have a plate/ thaal on which there are candles). Guru Ji is using metaphors. He says that there are stars which are the pearls and the moon and sun are the lamps. The sandlewood in the air is the temple incense (thoof) and the wind is the fan and all the plants in the wold are the flowers as offerings to God. Then Guru Nanak kinda like praises this type of aartee, the aartee of God. When Guru Ji says that all these things are the aartee for God then what's the point in still using a thaalee, candles, thoof etc when there are much greater things like stars, suns, moons? Whats the point in offering flowers when all the flowers of the world are already a offering to God anyway?

p.s. this is like one of my first proper posts kinda nervous lol blush.gif

Sat Sri Akal:

Please do refer to this:

aasaa sree kabeer jeeo kae pa(n)chapadhae 9 dhuthukae 5

ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

paathee thorai maalinee paathee paathee jeeo ||

You tear off the leaves, O gardener, but in each and every leaf, there is life.

jis paahan ko paathee thorai so paahan nirajeeo ||1||

That stone idol, for which you tear off those leaves - that stone idol is lifeless. ||1||

bhoolee maalanee hai eaeo ||

In this, you are mistaken, O gardener.

sathigur jaagathaa hai dhaeo ||1|| rehaao ||

The True Guru is the Living Lord. ||1||Pause||

breham paathee bisan ddaaree fool sa(n)karadhaeo ||

Brahma is in the leaves, Vishnu is in the branches, and Shiva is in the flowers.

theen dhaev prathakh thorehi karehi kis kee saeo ||2||

When you break these three gods, whose service are you performing? ||2||

paakhaan gadt kai moorath keenhee dhae kai shhaathee paao ||

The sculptor carves the stone and fashions it into an idol, placing his feet upon its chest.

jae eaeh moorath saachee hai tho garrhanehaarae khaao ||3||

If this stone god was true, it would devour the sculptor for this! ||3||

( Bhagat Kabeer Ji, Raag Aasaa, 479 )

To those who contend that this is only targeted towards those who worship idols, please also read the last line, as implies that the Creator would not be impressed by those who worship it by destroying its creations.

Satsriakal to all and ms514 Ji!

Thanks for referring the wonderful Shabad from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Have you really understood the Shabad?

The first Vaak of this Shabad says as you have provided the translation "paathee thorai maalinee paathee paathee jeeo ||

You tear off the leaves, O gardener, but in each and every leaf, there is life."

Let all know how many leaves you eat every day.

Please do not give excuse that you do not pluck leaves. You only eat those.

--------------

I was surprised to read the translations and explanations of this Shabad available in books or on Internet.

Those show how developed the conscious mind of some persons is.

--------------

The Guru's Vaak "jae eaeh moorath saachee hai tho garrhanehaarae khaao" tells me this.

When this statue is true then as statue maker it should eat.

Balbir Singh

Sat Sri Akal:

Perplexing, simply perplexing Balbir Ji:

So you are trying to state that a stone idol is worth more respect than the life that took Almighty knows how many incarnations to achieve? Merely waving a plate of various things around a carved stone will achieve nothing...it is blind ritualism that does nothing for nobody. If you want to use this as a means of comparison for sustaining the precious human life that is so hard to achieve, I actually feel sorry for you. You are really in the wrong religion and should be a Jain...for all I know, you may already be one.

Rather than simply dodging direct questions Balbir Ji like you always do, try to answer one for once:

What is your obsession with doing an Aarti, plate and all?

all i gotta say is the Five takhats need to get their act together. The takhats can't agree with one another, jathas can't agree with one another, for God sakes damdami taksal can't even agree with each other(the two recent factions). There are like five or six akali dal parties now, badal, amritsar(mann), longowal, tohra faction, blah blah blah. the reason we have so many rehits and aartis going on is because everyone has their own agenda, when our takhats and leaders make Sikhi their true agenda then we won't have these controversies.

Right now, it is Singh Singhan de vairi. We don't have anyone to blame but oursleves. You think those khakhi shorts wearing shiv sena waale and rss losers could stand up to the khalsa if we were united?

all this aarti pooja, bell ringing is only present in Gurdwaras outside of Sikh dominated Punjab. I doubt Gurdwaras dominated by Hindu states have retained original maryada. If the land of the gurus, Punjab, is having a hard time maintaining their distinct identity what makes you scholars think Gurdwaras outside of punjab have kept the original maryada?

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Sikhs do Aartee in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. For them the Guru's presence is live. They do Aartee for the living Guru and God.

Some Sikhs reject Aartee. For them Aartee is only for statues not for the living Guru and the presence of God.

--------------

Sikhs call it Manmat when a person does anything that our Gurus have not suggested.

Our Gurus have not once criticized or rejected Aartee. Rather, there is only praise for Aartee in Gurbani.

Those, who reject Aartee, may please refer to one Vaak from Gurbani where our Gurus have asked us to do so.

--------------

Sikhi, as a fanatic experience, may be rejecting this and that.

Sikhi, in my experience, is accepting God's Hukum.

Balbir Singh

Sat Sri Akal:

So now those who reject things are fanatics. Guru Nanak Sahib must have been the biggest fanatic/lunatic in your eyes since he rejected the Janeoo?

Shoot, let me go to my bath tub and start throwing water towards the sun...my relatives must be hot as anything up there...

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

To the person who said this:

'If the Aarti at Hazoor sahib is "Hindu", so is a lot of other stuff in Sikhi.

Will we get rid of the Chaur(wisk) next, or the Chanani(canopy)?

Fact of the matter is, the Singhs at Hazoor sahib don't pray to the divas, the flowers, they are singing the praises of Guru Maharaj and invovling an ancient practice of aaarti to give their devotion a physical aspect.

If we start going down this road, we'll end up at Kala Afghana's camp.

Will we stop "Prasaad" since it's pretty "Hindu" as well?'

I would just like to say so what if that that chanani (canopi) and the chaur (whisk) is also in Hinduism that doesnt mean that we have to get rid of it becuase its "hindu" because its there to SHOW RESPECT. Which the prophets themselves also shown massive respect to the SIRI GURU GRNATH SAHIB n we ourselves are just following what our Gurus told us to do.

Whereas the aarti wasnt part of Sikhi n neither of the Gurus done it so why should the folowers? So why do something which the prophets never told us to do?

Hindus do aarti of thier Gods BUT WHY DO AARTI OF PHROPHETS? When we worship God through abstract form?

N talking about this quote:

"If we start going down this road, we'll end up at Kala Afghana's camp.

Will we stop "Prasaad" since it's pretty "Hindu" as well?'"

So what if Hindus do the krah prasaad? Sikhi's got History in krah prasad with the prophets IE Guru Nanak told one of his followers to give it to some ppl who came asking food to him who never had teeth (to test him) so he told one his folowrs to get the nearserst ingrediants available-which is why we do Krah Prasaad in the Gurdwara today.

Whereas Aarti hasnt got no history in Sikhi with the prophets so why do it? Why do something what the Hindus done for worshipping thier Gods but why do it for Phrophets when we worship God through abstract form.

BASICLY THERES A REASON FOR HAVING CHANANI, CHAUR KRAH PRASAAD WHEREAS THERES NO REASON TO DO AARTI (which in previous posts who posted quotes from the SIRI GURU GRANTH SHAHIB has also proved there is no need to do aarti).

Please forgive me if said any thing wrong.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH