Should Sikhs tie or gel their beards

ggbb

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!!

There has been a this question in my mind for a while now....i thought id share it with the Sikh Sangat..My Question is do you think Sikhs should tie their beards...personally i think a person should not try to hide his sikhi by tieing their beard...people will challenge by saying it looks nice and professinal..sadh sangat ji our great guru sahib sri guru gobind singh was the king of kings they didnt tie their beard to look nice....why is a need for todays sikhs....in todays young sikhs ive noticed most of them gel their beards to look nice whats the point of that...a sikh is not suppose to use anything on their beard....THIS IS THE DARA SAHIB OF GURU GOBIND SINGH JI MAHARAJ WE SHUD MANTAIN IT LIKE REAL GURSIKHS>>ASK YOURSELF DO U WANT TO IMPRESS THE WORLD AROUND U OR DO WANT TO IMPRESS THE GURU<

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably boils down to vanity driven by the Western culture, or it did with me. I have only really started keeping my dhari 1 year ago. Uptil then I was trimming, although I stated wearing a pug about 18 months ago.

It sounds stupid now, but I was foolishly paranoid about keeping a full beard. But as I got more and more into Sikhi, the vanity disappeared and one day I stopped trimming.

I can't comment on open or tied beards though. I did try geling my beard for 1 week and gave up. I couldn't be asked with applying the gel and wearing a thathi for 1 hour every day. Plus my little girl told me to stop geling my beard because it became hard and pricked her, so I stoped.

im sure we've had a similar topic...anyway i agree 2 flowing beard looks so cool....ppl think tied beard looks more smart n clean i think it jus makes singhs look older than they really r

read this....

The only reason of tying the beard, agree or disagree, is FASHION. Some people argue that we tie our head hair (kesh), why can't we tie our beards? To equate heard hair with beard, in this case, is absolutely ridiculous. But they forget that we tie turban on hour HEARD, not on our beard. If they want to tie beards, in my opinion, they should start bearing turbans on their beards also. Flowing beard is the sign of saintliness.I have never seen a sant with tied beard ( i am not saying all the people with flowing beards are sants).

I have seen some non-sikhs with long flowing beards. I saw a a postman, with long flowing beard (a white man), and an old construction worker with beautiful white long beard. These peole do not tie their beards even at work. The reason is, as I think, they LOVE their beards and grow them under no pressure. As Sikhs (not all Sikhs), we feel beards don't look good and attractive, but we cannot cut them either because of religion (in other words, religious pressure), so why not to tie them? This is where the thought of tying the beard originates from. We are becoming more and more narrow minded. In this case, tying the beard, in my opinion, is absolutely equal to trimming it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gur Fateh!

I can't believe youth actually need to discuss this topic, why is it such an issue???

The question really does not be SHOULD but CAN we tie our beards.

And personally, YES! If it needs to be done then so be it -if one works in a factory close to machinery or similar tools, it helps practically to keep it tied up, otherwise, if you prefer it loose, then so be it...it's fine...no right or wrong, just be sensible -is it so hard???

Historically, the trend is thought to have been commercially popularised by Maharaj Sher Singh and but actually came into effect when Singhs using rifles who have their beards catch alight...so again practicality.

...now today, sure not all of us use rifles or work with machinery, but the risk of an opponent grabbing one's beard during an attack is always present (speak to the Delhi Sikhs and you'll hear about live examples of this and worse in 1984, also same in many pro-Khalistani Gurdwaras during the late 1980's and early 1990's in the UK and Canada, where Sikhs do the same to their own -anyway, this is another issue).

...as per keeping it neat and tidy, both work well (open or tied)...what is so wrong is being presentable??? Do we really have to look shabby to be good sikhs??? This has always confused me why people exhort such strange opinions...

...Keep your Kesh and look after them...simple as that...and get on with life...mindless quarrels arise from issues such as this.

Again, forgive any foolish comments in the foregoing...

-I remain the Charandhoor of the Sadh Sangat-

i agree with the machinery part.. but anyone having their beirds tugged.. is this khalsa singhs? come on.. no sikh would stand for that or even allow it!

as for being "neat" and "presentable" you mean according to western thought? so should women shave their legs and armpits to be "neat" and "presentable" and not look "shabby" ?

i think a singh with an open dhari which is kept clean and combed etc looks a lot neater than some clean shaven person with little stubble in their face.