Why Are These Sikhs Wearing Tiliks?

AussieSikh

Let's not go in twist-ism.  let's not discard our own history just because it doesn't suit us.

I still stand on my two questions, you can read them above.

Guru Nanak then blessed Lehna with his ang (hand) and gave him a new name, Angad, saying "you are a part of my body". Guru Nanak placed five coins and a coconut in front of Guru Angad and then bowed before him. He then had Bahi Budhha anoint Angad with a saffron mark on his forehead

146676[/snapback]

you got a source for this?

146680[/snapback]

Harbans Singh "The encyclopedia of Sikhism.

gurbilas Chhevin Patshahi. Patiala, 1970

Bhalla, Sarup Das, Mahima Prakash. Patiala, 1971

Padam, Piara Singh, and Gianl Garja Singh, eds.,Guru ban Sakhlari Patiala, 1986

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sher_punjabi,

I'll provide rebuttal to your twist-ism.

146693[/snapback]

I dont think that would be necessary unless you tell us you have a better source. Sher punjabi quoted directly from Guru Ji. I dont think i need to believe any other source over my Guru Ji.

Bhul Chuk Maaf ji..

THESE ''''''SIKHS'''''' SHOULD BE EXCOMMUNITCATED AND DEN EITHER SHOT OR GET BANGED UP KHALISTAN ZINDABADH DEATH2 TRAITORS AND INDIA FREEDOM 4 PANJAB NEVA 4GET 1984

146649[/snapback]

are you bloody insane mate?

you are quite a garam internet warrior wanna be khalistani! LOL.gifLOL.gif

Its hilarious when these people are stumped they jump on the old blame it on the hindus wagon. Bro no one said anything about good luck your post was long but pointless, if someone wants me to wear it hey its not permanent washes off, its not going against my religion, its making them happy hell why not? haha go ahead turn it into your laws against sikhi thing, they keep piling up anyhow, tell me when you get to the its against sikhi to yawn to loud.

"THESE ''''''SIKHS'''''' SHOULD BE EXCOMMUNITCATED AND DEN EITHER SHOT OR GET BANGED UP KHALISTAN ZINDABADH DEATH2 TRAITORS AND INDIA FREEDOM 4 PANJAB NEVA 4GET 1984"

Your a moorakh

Sher_punjabi,

I'll provide rebuttal to your twist-ism.

146693[/snapback]

I dont think that would be necessary unless you tell us you have a better source. Sher punjabi quoted directly from Guru Ji. I dont think i need to believe any other source over my Guru Ji.

Bhul Chuk Maaf ji..

146701[/snapback]

War-Cries,

I'm not here to convince anyone. You feel free to do what you like. Sher_Punjabi has used Gurbani out of context. The real meaning of Gurbani quotes is totally different. We read Gurbani as per the conclusion not in between.

Gurmukho

Let's read Gurbani

Let's contemplate Gurbani

Let's unite as ONE under Gurbani

146655[/snapback]

You Smashed it singh. Whats wrong with you people a simple bramhin photo has gone on to a 3 page thread how did that happen? :) @

I think we all really need to start searching gurbani and using our own brain before arguing over something like tilak and just saying it was done. just because you have been told something from childhood doesnt make it right!

twistism what hell that mean wacko.gif Surajsingh dont you have faith in gurbani? are you saying gurbani is wrong and you are right?

this one question to anyone :

What is the point of tilak??? what can it give and what you get from it???

Gurmukho
1. Why Tilak was used for the appointment of Sikh Gurus?

2. If having Tilak makes Sikhs a non Sikh who are being shown in the picture then what is your explanation to ceremony, in which Baba Budha Ji, first Granthi of Sikhism and great personality appointing Sikh Gurus by putting "Tilak" on their forehead.

NO GURU SAHIBAAN PUT A TILAK (i.e. A RED FRONTAL MARK ON THEIR FOREHEAD!)

To understand Gurbani, to understand Bhai Gurdaas Jee and to understand Sikh culture, one has to ALSO understand tools of poetry and language, i.e. metaphors, similies, grammar etc... furthermore one has to understand Indian culture and cultural phrases.

When Queen Elizabeth II was crowned Queen of England in 1953, the Indian Newspapers gave the news stated, "Queen Elizabeth de Raaj "Tilak" Lagaaieaa Gaya Hai." Ask people who are old enough and remember reading about the Queen's Coronation in India.

Now, did QUEEN ELIZABETH put a TILAK on her FOREHEAD??? "HAS TO BE BECAUSE IT SAID SO IN THE NEWSPAPER."

Nehee, GUru Piyaari'o! Its a language phrase, which means "being coronated" "being giving the seat of authority".

Wait til Charles or William becomes King, what will the Panjabi newspapers say? "Charles te Raj Tilak Lagaaeiaa gayiaa" -- again doesn't mean that Charles is sitting there with a huge big Red spot on his forehead... its AN EXPRESSION!!

WHY ARE WE IN dubdw, DOUBT, OVER THINGS LIKE THIS??? HAVE WE EVEN BOTHERED TO ASK OUR HAAZAR NAAZAR GURU SAHIB (Eternal Guru) WHAT HIS STAND ON THE TILAK IS????

mwQy iqlku hiQ mwlw bwnW ]

logn rwmu iKlaunw jwnW ]1]

Translation:- "People apply "tilaks" (ceremonial marks to their foreheads), in their hands they hold "malas" (prayer beads), and they present themselves in a religious appearance (thinking that they have become Waheguru's Bhagats). People have understood Waheguru to be a play-thing (meaning, an innocent child who can be fooled by these superficial things). ||1||

(Bhairo Bhagat Kabeer Jee, Ang 1158)

iqlku illwit jwxY pRBu eyku ]

Translation: "Let the knowledge of the One God be the "Tilak", ceremonial mark, on your forehead.

(Aasa M:1, Ang 355)

pUjw vrq iqlk iesnwnw puMn dwn bhu dYn ]

khUM n BIjY sMjm suAwmI bolih mITy bYn ]1]

Translation:- "Worship, fasting, "Tilaks" (ceremonial marks) on one's forehead, cleansing baths, generous donations to charities and self-mortification - the Lord Master is not pleased with any of these rituals, no matter how sweetly one may speak. ||1||

(Dhanaasree M:5, Ang 674)

iknhI GUGr inriq krweI ]

iknhU vrq nym mwlw pweI ]

iknhI iqlku gopI cMdn lwieAw ]

moih dIn hir hir hir iDAwieAw ]5]

Translation:- "Some dance, wearing ankle bells. Some fast and take vows, and wear malas. Some apply ceremonial tilak marks to their foreheads. I am meek; I meditate on the Lord, Har, Har, Har. ||5||"

(Raamkalee M:5, Ang 912)

Therefore, using knowledge of GURBANI, LANGUAGE TOOLS, and knowledge of INDIAN CULTURE... one can deduce that the Guru Sahibs were NOT adorned with TILAKs when recieving GURUSHIP.

Baba Sundar jee writes in Gurbani:

rwmdws soFI iqlku dIAw gur sbdu scu nIswxu jIau ]5]

Translation:- The Guru then blessed the Sodhi Ram Das with the ceremonial tilak mark, the insignia of the True Word of the Shabad. ||5||

The Tilak of the Shabad was passed on giving Guruship to the next Saroop of Guru Sahib, not a RED DOT PAINTED ACROSS THE FOREHEAD.

Let's read Gurbani

Let's contemplate Gurbani

Let's unite as ONE under Gurbani

Bhul chuk maaf

146655[/snapback]

As much as i dont want to ancourage everyone to start up the discussion again i just wanted to say this:

the first quote from Guru Ji is in panna 913 I think, but if you read this panna in Guru Ji then it also says that others wear various religious robes, and so does that mean we are against religious robes?

the i believe Guru ji are saying something differently to what Sher Punjabi says.

i havent read anything that says sikhs should not wear tilak but that its pointless but then religioius robes comes unnder the same thing? bana?

as to the relevance of tilak, perhaps there is a reason for it but it has been forgotten , just like the relevance of the kara has been forgotten and now worn just and not for the reason it was once worn.