Rename Indira Gandhi International Airport Now!

Why can't it be renamed with a more neutral name? So that nobody is offended and we're all equal.

The major airport in bombay/mumbai is called "Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport"...after Shiv Ji... how neutral do you find that grin.gif ...what about the feelings of the couple of million muslims in mumbai?

shops inside the airport selling liquor, tobacco and all that anti sikhi stuff.

I agree, the airport shouldn't be renamed after our Great Guru Ji's

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Punjab is the land of our Gurus and no one stops selling liquor in Punjab. Dodgy people come to Guru ghars too. Do you think only perfect gursikhs go to gurdwara? No place is perfect. Look who is sitting in Akaal Takhat. No sikhs have ever said we should not have RSS characters in Akaal Takhat sahib. Now an airport offends people? naming an airport after Guru sahib is not beadbi. Beadbi is what is happening in Punjab with Sri Guru Granth sahib ji and deras.

And about Neutral, what is more neutral than Hind Di Chaadar, Sri Guru tegh bahadur ji? A sikh guru who laid his life for freedom of religion. Mahatma gandhi has monuments in western nations, what is so not neutral about guru sahib's memory? A nation which proclaims to be secular, who is more secular than Guru sahib?

Also where was this neutral attitude when this thing was named after Indira? When sikhs talk about something related to sikhi, then all of a sudden everyone is neutral and secular.

It doesn't have to be named after guru sahib, we should all at least agree that it should not be INDIRA GANDHI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.

peace.

Mumbai: Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport

"He founded the Hindu kingdom in the Deccan against all odds , fighting against the mighty Mughals.He inspired and united the common man to fight against the tyranny of Mughal ruler Aurangjeb, by inculcating a sense of pride and nationality in them.

At the age of 16, he took a pledge to establish a sovereign Hindu state.He clearly outstands all the rulers and generals of India by the exemplary life he lived and is thus respected by the entire cross section of Indians. Shivaji's military skills could be compared to those of Napolean. "

Is this neutral?

http://www.chhatrapati-shivaji.com/

Kolkata: Netaji Subash Chandra Bose INTL Airport

Guwahati: Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi INTL airport

"Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi was the first, and only, man from the entire northeastern region of the country to be awarded the Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award. The recognition, however, came half a century after his demise in August 1950."

http://www.airportsindia.org.in/aai/airports-frame.htm

And about Neutral, what is more neutral than Hind Di Chaadar, Sri Guru tegh bahadur ji? A sikh guru who laid his life for freedom of religion. Mahatma gandhi has monuments in western nations, what is so not neutral about guru sahib's memory? A nation which proclaims to be secular, who is more secular than Guru sahib?

Also where was this neutral attitude when this thing was named after Indira? When sikhs talk about something related to sikhi, then all of a sudden everyone is neutral and secular.

It doesn't have to be named after guru sahib, we should all at least agree that it should not be INDIRA GANDHI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.

peace.

With all due respect, naming it after Guru Tegh Bahadur ji is not neutral in everyone's eyes. There's 2 sides to the story, and there's people supporting both sides unfortunately.

Realistically speaking, what you're saying doesn't seem viable. I agree about renaming it, but you're pointing out that it should be renamed to the opposition of Indira Gandhi. That's still going to be wrong in SOME people's eyes - what about what they want? Perhaps you'd have more say in the situation if you still lived in India.

What I'm trying to say is simply this - why should the airport be named after anyone? Why not have a neutral name, eg after the place it is built in? That's why we have names of airports like Birmingham International Airport :@ The name of an airport doesn't have to reflect on a great person, with whom not everyone agrees (including Indira Gandhi).

And Kucha Singh .. as for "Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport" after Shiv Ji, and you not finding it neutral for the Muslims who live there, do you think Muslims would find an airport named after a Guru neutral? And what about who made the airport and who they want to name it after?

No offence intended to anybody here once more, but most of you do not seem as neutral as you think you are! :lol:

Apologies if I have offended anybody - this is purely my personal opinion and what I see.

If there can be a Guru Tegh Bahadur hospital in New Delhi, why not an airport? Surely the hospital doesn't treat only Sikhs, and non-Sikhs have no problem with the name as it has been so always, so why not an airport as well? Besides foreigners visiting India will get to know a little bit about Sikhi. Oh but wait, thats what Indians don't want, right?

What will it gain by naming the airport after one the Guru Ji's?

Will it enhance Sikhi?

How will it benefit us?

If it doesn't benefit us (in terms of our spiritual development) then whats the point of renaming it..spending millions on a renaming ceremony, having high-ranking people attending the ceremony...when we could keep it as it is....all return to out Simran and use out money wisely helping those suffering in the world.

Perhaps you'd have more say in the situation if you still lived in India.

my family is landing there on friday. Thank you.

I agree about renaming it, but you're pointing out that it should be renamed to the opposition of Indira Gandhi.

who's indira gandhi a hero for? Jagdish Tytler?

What I'm trying to say is simply this - why should the airport be named after anyone?

OK, if you live in India, then ask people that question at indira Gandhi airport.

mehtab singh, i wish there were more sikhs like you.

MNQK, i think we should first focus on spreading the word and teaching of the Guru (although that would be an amazing way of doing so..no doubt)......these things need to be tackled on a micro level.. for example -

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=18707&hl=

Guru Tegh Bahadur Shaib J's shaheedi first needs to be acknowledged in history books before airports are named after them. I totally support your thought.

Btw if i'm not mistaken the name Indira Gandhi International Airport was given after 84....for her wonderful contributions to what? bloodshed?

Only God and the Indian population know.

WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT BUT INDIA LOOK AT IT INDRA IS A POPULAR FIRGUE AMONGST INDIAN POLTICS SIPLY BECAUSE SHE DID SORT OUT ASPECTS OF INDIA OUT

EVERY 1 DOES GOOD N BAD DEEEDS

the reason i fink THE AIRPORT WAS NAMED AFTER HER IS NOT CUZ OF 84 OR THE BLOODSHED BUT CUZ OF THE GD FINGS SHE DONE 4 INDIA B4

PS I'M NO GOVERMENT AGENT HUS STICKING UP 4 HER OR NUTHING I DNT LIKE HER JUST AS MUCH AS U BUT U GTA BE OPEN MINDED

N PLUS ITS NOT OUR AIRPORT

OUR AIRPORT WUD HVE A NISHAN SAHIB FLYING

i aslo visit delhi airport 3-4 times and i also felt that it shud be changed.

there were also other great freedom fighters like bhagat singh etc.

if people are not agree to change the name to our guru's name then we can change

the name to the name of freedom fighter of previous century.

and also if it is changed to our guru sahib's name then many people will oppose it and

it will harm the feelings of sikh people.

we try that if any other new great construction or building is being made then it shud be named after

our guru sahib's name.