Bhagat Kabir Ji

I think you should read bhagat kabeer jees bani from guru granth sahib, and try to see how bhagat jee uses metaphors and stuff like that to get his point across.......in my opinion, woman here means maya...not a female.........bhagat kabeer jee uses the same types of metapohrs/similies in Guru Granth Sahib as well.

I have read it thanks........in fact when it comes to metaphors used by Bhagat Kabir, I probably have argued long and hard over the metaphors used by him. Many people on this forum take them literally. The essay compiled "Fools Who Wrangle Over Flesh" touches on these metaphors. I have also read other writings of Kabir.

Read page 116 to 117 http://www.globalsikhstudies.net/pdf/sd.pdf

It covers the issue of Maya.

There is a big difference between not putting a bhagats bani in Guru Granth Sahib Jee, and 'rejecting' it. Guru Granth Sahib is filled with 'dhur kee bani' . The bani that was meant to be put in it, from the beginning of time, was put in it....and nothing else was, regardless of how well written it was, or how compatible it was with gurmat or not.

The trap many Hindu's use is to say Bhagat Bani is identical to Gurbani.....they use this argument to say that Sikhs are in fact Hindu's. Muslims use this argument to say writings of Muslim Saints in Bani means Sikhism is Islam. It is neither. When I say Bhagat Bani, I mean writings of Bhagats not included within Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji also. This trick was tried by Meharban and the Minas to state Bhagat Kabir was higher than Guru Nanak.

Guruji ONLY included that aspect of Bhagat Bani which had commonality with Sikh thought..........this is very important point.....or we just become extensions of Bhagat Bani and not a new frame of thought.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goin by the above definitions, I would say the author was correct. God is the creator.......he creates life.

*satisfied with your answer* :TH:

Our Guru's saw an element of good in all faiths, but only took that element of GOOD and illustrated it in Bani that had a commonality with Sikh belief.

Another example is Sheikh Farid. His Shabad is in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.........yet he was a Muslim..............does this mean we become Muslims.....NO..........but we recognise the common values that Islam in this case has with Sikhi.

That is why Bani is such a complete teacher.......it takes all modes of religious thought and extracts those elements from them that are common to Sikh belief. That is why we do not put down other faiths.

But isnt the *true muslim* described in Guru Granth Sahib ji? In effect, by Guru Ji's definition, true Muslims are Sikhs..

• 4 weeks later...

jb ds mws aurD muK rhqw so idnu kYsy BUilAw ]1] rhwau ] (654-11, soriT, Bgq kbIr jI)

jab das maas uraDh mukh rahtaa so din kaisay bhooli-aa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Have you forgotten those days, when you were hanging, face down, for ten months? ||1||Pause||

10 months??? isn't it 9 months???????? i have read few people pointing out this thing...can sumone please clarify?????