Am I the only one ?

This doesn't happen all the time but there are periods where I am trying to do naam simran but the mind fires out such nasty disgusting blasphemous thoughts to distract me from doing naam simran, if they are really bad i just give up. I would never think these thoughts but they come out of no where, its like the mind is trying to think of the dirtiest things I seen or heard about and trying to ruin it for me, really frustrating.

Just wondering if I am the only one...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

you are not the only one, EVERYONE gets these thoughts. The first thing is not to give up because Naam helps you to control your mind, and gives you better concentration and focus. Naam always has a positive effect, never a negative.

Its normal man, whenever a thought enters your mind, just observe it and let it fly away like a cloud.

Or before doing simran you could do the buddhist meditation for about 5 mins which is just focus on your breath, and clear your mind, maybe this will help.

thanks bro,

The reason why I give up on naam simran is because it is the most divine thing and these absolutely disgusting thoughts are going in my head, makes me feel like I am doing a sin even though I don't agree in anyway with the thoughts.

I remember I always used to do the bhuddist meditation of just focusing on nothing but the breath and letting the thoughts fly away like clouds, I don't know why I forgot to apply that. That is a great idea, thanks. ;)

As Ms514 once said:

like to Kirpan/ or Simran with kirpan tunes..

on the MAX VOLUME on your headphones, adn you mind wont go ANYWHERE,

Kalyug mai Kirpan Pardana ;)

Without Kirtan mind goes anywhere, with Kirtan it goes NOWHERE, but WAHEGURU :( ...

Bhull chukk maaf :wub:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i agree withe the veer above me....Don't watch or listen to anything but kirtan for a few days, try your hardest to avoid any situation where your mind might grab some dirt. Do this for a few days and then try to do simran, you will see a grave difference.

And yes you are NOT Alone, everyone going thru it. One thing to Avoid is Frustration and Anger when the mind does not settle, what i suggest is if the mind is being determined to take away your awareness....let it, stop the struggle and just let the thoughts run wild the moment you let go of the stuggle no sooner does your mind simmer down. Throw down your gloves and sit face to face with your mind and say lets go, show me what you want to show me and do it with love and a smile. Its sorta like a kid who bugs you when you don't pay attention to him and when you do he shys away. See if that works. It has worked few times for me, but everyone is different so it may or may not.

Waheguru

No you are not the only one. Very good response Pheena Ji. Long ago I read a very good anology at Sikhnet Youth Forum regarding this topic. There are lots of, thousands of thoughts stored in our subconcious mind that we are not aware of. We don't even know if they even exist cuz they do not come in our concious mind. However, these thoughts in our subconcious mind affect our life to a great extent, such as our personalily, the way we think, behave, the state of our mind, anger, lust, and so many other things. Just like some programs running in the backgroud in our computer that we don't see, but make our computer slow.

So when we do meditation, it is a very good think that these thoughts in our subconcious mind are being released and setting us free. It is like cleaning under the sofa. There is a lot of dust, napkins, and what not, under the sofa gathered over the years. So doing meditation is cleaning under the sofa. When we clean, we get dust, because there is nothing excpet dust there, so we do not keep that dust, but throw in the trash, we get rid of it. So when we do meditation, the dirty thouths and many other kinds of thoughts start coming in our mind, sometimes those thoughts that we never thought of. Because thats all we have been gathering in many jamans, as Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says, "Janam Janam ki es man ko mal laagi, kala hoa siah." So we encounter these dirty thoughts when we do naam simran, the process of cleaning our mind.

Just like we do not keep the dust that comes from under the sofa, why to keep dirty thougths that come in our mind while cleaing it (doing simran)? So we should be happy that these dirty thoughts are being released from our mind a

nd should not pay attention to them and let them go and let more thouthts come, let them go, let more come, let them go, and let more come, and so on, and one day our mind would be clean with Guru Ji's kirpa.

bhul chuk di khima...