To Every Uni Student

rimmel

interesting topic, im suprised it is still going on. Dont know if i can really add anything constructive to what has already been said. But i agree with most of what sitargirl is saying, amritdharis shouldnt go to nightclubs.

first of all i am not amritdhari yet, but i keep my kes now. I come from a completely mona family, i used to cut my hair, eat meat, drink, even smoked quite a few dif things :D, not know much about sikhi (as do all my family still).

ive been to a lot of nightclubs and even if you are going just to chil with your friends, its impossible not to find yourself looking inappropriately at girls and getting filled with kaam. going to niteclubs definitely took me away from god, at one point i didnt even believe in a god..this was like 2/3years ago. thats how i had lost any spirituality i may have had when i was younger. subsequently from being in this sangat ive done a lot of things which i regret which i hope i can be forgivven for.

I believe an amritdhari is someone who has given his head to guruji, and so is representing the panth and guru gobind singh. All the amritdharis i know are such big inspirations for me to follow of the path of sikhi.

An amritdharis life should revolve around sikhis teachings, and every action you do should be to benefit him/her spiritually. In sikhi a lot of emphasis is made on the sangat you keep and are around. The night club is one of the worst places in my opinion in terms of sangat. Its full of perverted drunk men, women, lustful music. people fighting, vomitting. Even if your actions are entirely honest, and an amritdhari is so strong willed that he can control his kaam, still some of "the soot" of this sangat will effect you. Gurbani is clear about bad sangat and how it can affect even a very spiritual person.

In comparison, the first time i went to a rehensabhai, which was last year i was so amazed, and it touched my soul. I was in bliss and i could not believe how many singhs and singhnis there were, i had never seen so much sikh youth! Just being in there presence made me wanna learn as much as could about sikhi, and to keep my kes and to change completely from being a mona to now keshdari and hopefully soon an amritdhari. this is the power of sangat!

sorry if i have offended any1

wjkk wjkf

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this world you gots to generalise........its not a bad thing.

I see a gora and I know I am not gonna talk in Punjabi to him purely because gorey don't know Punjabi.......and so its through this generalisation that when I see a gora person I talk in English to them. EVEN YOU DO THIS otherwise hoe do you know when to use punjabi or english??????

Likewise the general concensus is that if your amritdhari you have better gian on sikhi than the non amritdhari....I haven't taken amrit and I see no offence in this statement cos I expect those who take Amrit to be better than me and have better understanding.

tha's not a very logical way to look @ tings... ur comparing 2 different things.. ur comparing language to knowledge of a faith..

bottom line.. don't JUDGE... u are nobody to judge a persons intelligence by lookin at dem.. i know several non-amritdharees who have a lot more knowledge of sikhi, bani, and ithaas then some amritdharee's do...

don't judge a book by its cover... which is wha the sikh you are famous for doing these days..

why wud i PM u when ur makin a general statement on a public forum which mite influence others opinions?

u said u explained ur 'logic', but thats not using any logic at all..

why do u sound so confrontational? can u not admit u were wrong in makin that comment?

All I said was that I can understand non amritdhari's in clubs cos they don't know much

and again.. i say.. u don't kno what a person knows or doesn't know.. so do not judge... plain n simple... n if u can't handle that, u got some serious ego problems..

of course i have ego problems.. n i admit it... happy?

my comments on clubbing were posted earlier.. u can go back n check...

yes it is more shockin to see Amritdharee's at clubs... thats not the point i brought up with you... the only thing i said in relation to your post was that u cannot judge people.. thats it.. full stop... and yet ur defending urself basically sayin 'yes i can judge'...

u wrote:

All I said was that I can understand non amritdhari's in clubs cos they don't know much

so i go back to my point... u do not know how much gyaan a non-amridharee has.... thats my only point... its ur choice whether u want to listen or not...

Okay this has become boring now.

Heera veer you tellin her she has ego problem, you tell me who on this forum hasn't got that problem tongue.gif .

Most of the girls going to clubs don't know much about sikhi and this holds true for guys too. This is not judging by any means.

Its funny how if someone says somethg not good about ppl it is termed as judging. On the other hand if i praise someone tht won't count as judging.

Seems like word "judging" has become an intergral part of amritdharis vocab. Stating the truth and judging are 2 diff. thgs alltogether.

it wud be diff if she said 'most'... but the comment that was made generalized all non-amritdharee's into one category of 'not knowing anything about sikhi'... thats why i raised my concern... when u categorize all of one kinda people into a category w/out knowing them or knowing what they kno, its called judging (judging a book by its cover -- i.e. supposedly assuming a mona knows nothin of sikhi)

and yeh.. i guess i was wrong for makin the ego comment... because God knows my ego was in full fledge when i made that comment :D ... so i apologize to sitargirl..

heera veer i think you are overreacting a bit. I think it is fair to categorize people as amritdhari or non amritdhari. i think that the very fact that an amritdhari has chosen to take amrit where they receive naam gurumantar and become guru gobinds singhs khalsa and dedicated themselves to a rehat (way of life) makes them different to non amritdharis.

Of course there are non amritdharis who may keep rehat (in hope of eventually one day taking amrit). But, if there was no spiritual difference between a amritdhari and non amritdhari then guru gobind singh wouldnt have bothered with the amrit sanchar ceremony. he would have just said keep rehat, dont need to waste time taking amrit. As im sure u know taking amrit is therefore very necessary to progress spiritually and to attain mukhti. (ok i am aware u did not say anything about amrit not being important, i am just trying to make a point)

so i hope we can agree that there is certainly a spiritual difference between amritdharis and non amritdharis. So, spiritually speaking there are two populations within our sikh panth, the amritdharis and non amritdharis. now how would a statistician compare two such groups to see who knows more about sikhi? most likely take a large sample of both populations (having taken into consideration confounders) they would most likely determine means for both samples, derive from these probabilities, i dunno use t-tests, chi squared some other statistical stuff to see if there is a significant difference between the 2 groups. Anyways im jus regurgitating A level stats i did years ago here, but anyways why take big samples...control confounders...this is done to make the results "generalisable" to the population being sampled from. If u take a small sample then usually results arent very generalisable. So a bigger sample is best. Anyways, im jus saying all this to really say why it is acceptable and logical to generalise for a larger population. of course there will be some non amritdharis who know a lot about sikhi, just as there are some who know nothing, the majority im sure have some knowledge but not very much in comparison to an amritdhari gursikh. All of the amritdharis that i have ever met are certainly educated in sikhi.

anyways i dont kno why i typed all of this, most of its prob irrelevent, i think its just cos i cant sleep and im bored.

fateh

kabeer saakath sa(n)g n keejeeai dhoorehi jaaeeai bhaag || baasan kaaroeeai tho kashh laagai dhaag ||131||

Kabeer, do not associate with the faithless cynics; run far away from them. If you touch a vessel stained with soot, some of the soot will stick to you. ||131||.

maerae mohan sravanee eih n sunaaeae || saakath geeth naadh dhhun gaavath bolath bol ajaaeae ||1|| rehaao ||

O my fascinating Lord, may I never listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

These two tuks come to my mind.

Like all great bad habits, clubbing is expensive. Sometimes extraordinarily so. Especially for those of us cursed with a Y chromosome. To begin with, the entry-fee is insanely high. Then, once you get in, which is oftentimes an annoyingly long process, you have to pay out the <admin-profanity filter activated> for drinks. The concept of clubs brings pre-gaming to an entirely new level.

"But clubbing's funnnnnnnnnnnn..." you yell at me. And "yell" is the operative word here. In clubs, one does not speak. You do not whisper. You yell. Now, seeing as how extended yelling is uncomfortable, this effectively takes any hope of conversation out of the picture.

If you feel you must go clubbing then fine go, But please dont use the excuse your trying to spread Sikhi when you go, that just sounds lame. People in clubs want to dance about and have "fun" you really think they want you to spoil that and talk about the religions of the world?

Another thing what about your amritvela? you rather be dancing lsitening to music in a club rather than you simran, bani? Theirs people out there that try their very best and do ardas everyday to be blessed with waking up at amritvela, while on the other hand you have "amritdharis" that like to spend theirs clubbing?

When i used to go clubbing before i was into Sikhi i used to see Singhs in a club and laugh thinking what the hell are they doing here. Used to remind me of bollywood films were they have a sardar doing some funny dance and making fool out of himself with his turban half falling off. I have friends that go clubbing and even they come and tell me how stupid it looks when a Singh is in a club.