Is this considered to be joota?

naam_jap

Is it considered Joota if someone while they are eating and they hand you a roti or something? The reason that I ask is because I was at a Singh's home having dinner and his wife was making fresh Rotis for us. While we were eating she came over and handed a roti to him and then he handed it to me. By the way he is not Amritdhari and I am. Is this considered joota? I've always thought that joota is only when someone takes a bite out of something and then you take a bite out of the same thing. Or I may just be reading too much into this.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also don't think soo it is joota..

btw.. once i was @ abc Gurdwara sahib langar hall.. and i went to drink water.. and i grab the plastic glass and pour the water from jug and took the whole cup in one sip and filled the cup again and then this lady came up to me and said.. "OH ehh jutta ho giya hun".. he took the jug the emptied in it and washed it and filled it with water again..

Now what the heck that was .. :T:

VahegurujikaKhalsa, VahegurujikiFateh!

Sorry to be the odd one out, but Joot is food which has been touched by unclean hands i.e. if a person is eating their hands are by definition dirty.

Only food which has been handled after the hands/dishes have been washed are suchay. Everything else is considered joot.

Its a commonsense approach to hygiene - handling any food without first washing hands in a public restaurant would result in a visit from trading standards!

I should not have to point this out - but the number of people (of all religions/races) who do not wash their handles after going to the toilet is truly disgusting.

H

Now that I think about it, I could not have said to him, Singh I will not eat that food because you handed it to me, it would be disrespectful. Also, those of us that are students, and we have to eat out all the time, no one knows who touches the food. Does that mean that the Amrit is broken? Does that mean everytime we go out to eat that we would have to retake Amrit? My personal belief is that this is not something that you have to retake Amrit for because it does not fall under the 4 Khuriets and it was done unknowingly.

I know for a fact that I won't let it happen again.

These are my opinions, bul chuk maaf.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

jy kir sUqku mMnIAY sB qY sUqku hoie ]

jae kar soothak ma(n)neeai sabh thai soothak hoe ||

If one accepts the concept of impurity, then there is impurity everywhere.

gohy AqY lkVI AMdir kIVw hoie ]

gohae athai lakarree a(n)dhar keerraa hoe ||

In cow-dung and wood there are worms.

jyqy dwxy AMn ky jIAw bwJu n koie ]

jaethae dhaanae a(n)n kae jeeaa baajh n koe ||

As many as are the grains of corn, none is without life.

pihlw pwxI jIau hY ijqu hirAw sBu koie ]

pehilaa paanee jeeo hai jith hariaa sabh koe ||

First, there is life in the water, by which everything else is made green.

sUqku ikau kir rKIAY sUqku pvY rsoie ]

soothak kio kar rakheeai soothak pavai rasoe ||

How can it be protected from impurity? It touches our own kitchen.

nwnk sUqku eyv n auqrY igAwnu auqwry Doie ]1]

naanak soothak eaev n outharai giaan outhaarae dhhoe ||1||

O Nanak, impurity cannot be removed in this way; it is washed away only by spiritual wisdom. ||1||

mÚ 1 ]

ma 1 ||

First Mehl:

mn kw sUqku loBu hY ijhvw sUqku kUVu ]man kaa soothak lobh hai jihavaa soothak ko

orr ||

The impurity of the mind is greed, and the impurity of the tongue is falsehood.

AKI sUqku vyKxw pr iqRA pr Dn rUpu ]

akhee soothak vaekhanaa par thria par dhhan roop ||

The impurity of the eyes is to gaze upon the beauty of another man's wife, and his wealth.

kMnI sUqku kMin pY lwieqbwrI Kwih ]

ka(n)nee soothak ka(n)n pai laaeithabaaree khaahi ||

The impurity of the ears is to listen to the slander of others.

nwnk hMsw AwdmI bDy jm puir jwih ]2]

naanak ha(n)saa aadhamee badhhae jam pur jaahi ||2||

O Nanak, the mortal's soul goes, bound and gagged to the city of Death. ||2||

Ú 1 ]

ma 1 ||

First Mehl:

sBo sUqku Brmu hY dUjY lgY jwie ]

sabho soothak bharam hai dhoojai lagai jaae ||

All impurity comes from doubt and attachment to duality.

jMmxu mrxw hukmu hY BwxY AwvY jwie ]

ja(n)man maranaa hukam hai bhaanai aavai jaae ||

Birth and death are subject to the Command of the Lord's Will; through His Will we come and go.

Kwxw pIxw pivqRü hY idqonu irjku sMbwih ]

khaanaa peenaa pavithra hai dhithon rijak sa(n)baahi ||

Eating and drinking are pure, since the Lord gives nourishment to all.

nwnk ijn@I gurmuiK buiJAw iqn@w sUqku nwih ]3]

naanak jinhee guramukh bujhiaa thinhaa soothak naahi ||3||

O Nanak, the Gurmukhs, who understand the Lord, are not stained by impurity. ||3||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?Sour...ID=G&pageno=472

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Yes, this is joot. It does not mean that you must re-take Amrit. You must just be more careful in the future, and sometimes you just have to explain to people that you don't mean any offense, but it is your religious obligation to avoid joot. Not everyone will not understand this, but you must try to explain to them that you are baptised, and this a part of Rehat. Joot takes many forms. We are not supposed to eat out of the same 'pandah' as non-Amritdharis, and that also means when we are eating a bag of chips etc., and someone comes up and asks for some, you take some out and hand them to him/her, instead of letting them put their hands in the bag. We can't just keep putting our Rehat aside because we don't want to offend someone. Rehat is Rehat, it comes first...even if you have to starve.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I must say that I disagree with Surrey Singh.

We are not brahmins, we do not consider anything even touched by someone not of our class (ie: Amritdari) to be jooth. That would be very castist of us. I believe that we are not supposed to eat from another's plate, ie: if they took a bite out of it, then its jooth. If they drank a sip from the cup, then it is jooth. If we are to believe that all people were created by the same God, then we are no cleaner than anyone else, and we have no right to reject food/drink simply because someone has the kindness to pass it to us.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!