Christmas

Kharku

Celebrating Chritmas  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Celebrate It

• YES
    • NO
    • I don't celebrate it but respect it.

We celebarte Chritmas because Chritsian missionaries are converting our Sikh families in Punjab??

We celebrate Chritmas in the hope of receiving 'parshad'(i dunno what they call it) from the churches which non-christians can't get??

Reasons given here are pretty weak. You wanna celebrate Christmas, celebrate it everday by following the teachings of Guru Sahib. We don't need a specific day for that. Lighting trees, giving out gifts isn't celebrating christmas.

Its funny to see people arguing over nothing. If we wanna celebrate Chritmas then we should celebrate every other festival too. I don't see that happening.

Guest peacemaker
tell me what i said that ticked you off?

I don't know about him, but I was kind of offended when you said twice that Guru Sahib said we should use a sword on someone if they merely slap us.

so what is the point your trying to make?

That we shouldent celebrate it cause guru gobind singh jee never gave presents on the 25th?

i'm not getting the plot...sorry also I'm not saying your wrong?

I just don't get what point your trying to make?

my point is that we go around and say oh "merry christmas" to everyone we meet, and we have a good time because its christmas right? Then when we go to gurudwara, or out in public, were afarid to even say fateh! "Oh its christmas, let me help out some poor people" Ok well those are the same poor people that live their lifes on the streets every other day. Where were you all those others days of the year? What happen to your spirt then?

People tell me they celebrate a Saint coming to earth. Ok, thats fine. But what happen to all other days of the years? was the saint only around for 1 day? Oh, todays christmas, so yea, iam gonna come home and help around the house. Ok, and all the other times, help is not needed? When your mom tells you to do something "oye mummy, maa busy han, badh vich karlavaan gaan!, Oh ill do that later mom, iam busy right now. Why because then is not christmas? We say we have respect of Jesus and his coming, but only think about it for 1 day? People say of the Christmas "spirt", as in the spirt of Jesus, oh so that sprit only last for 1 day? Why dont we get that sprit everyday?

Tell me, just because we put up a tree what does that do for us?

What does that even do for others?

You wanna be a good person? You wanna live a happy life?

Why not pass out presents everyday? Why not spend time with the less fortunate everyday?

Tell me which sikh holiday we put up a tree? Tell me which sikh holiday we give gifts?

Then people say "oh then we shouldnt be celebrating anything", well thats the problem, the way we celebrate. Oh its christmas, wheres my present? wheres that tree? Let me put up some lights because it will be in spirt right? let me sing some songs becaue it will be in sprit right? Then when viasakhi comes arounds, how many paaths do we do? How much kritan we do? What happen to our spirt then? So we pass our presents on Jesus coming, but no presents on Coming of Khalsa? The Khalsa's coming we cannot even put up a tree with lights on it? On coming of khalsa we cannot help around the house? We cannot have food with family? People say iam gonna celebrate christmas, but dont even know the 5 k's? But thats ok, becasue as long as i get something good, and as long as those lights are bright, who needs those 5k's right?

First learn your own holidays and ways of celebrating, then worry about putting up that tree.

p.s.: I am lost over the whole christmas tree idea. Who started that along with the Santa thing??

hmmm turkey..how lovely! <_<

I don't know about him, but I was kind of offended when you said twice that Guru Sahib said we should use a sword on someone if they merely slap us.

No no no man you guys dont look at the point. Just read the words and scream!

The point is that we are all here and all equal. What right does anyone else have to slap you and you to just take the slap? Ok if your wrong, fine, take the slap, but even if your right take the slap? We have kirpan for others and our saftey. Nobody has right to slap anybody else, and kirpan is for those who break that right. And thats not just for slap, thats for any right that someone might take away from human beings. Purpose of kirpan is to enforce justice for all, and to make sure that the ones that disobey or disrecpect or endanger that justice get put in their place.

Reasons given here are pretty weak. You wanna celebrate Christmas, celebrate it everday by following the teachings of Guru Sahib. We don't need a specific day for that. Lighting trees, giving out gifts isn't celebrating christmas.

Its funny to see people arguing over nothing. If we wanna celebrate Chritmas then we should celebrate every other festival too. I don't see that happening.

Exactly!!!!! but people dont get that point.

Guest peacemaker

The point is that we are all here and all equal. What right does anyone else have to slap you and you to just take the slap? Ok if your wrong, fine, take the slap, but even if your right take the slap? We have kirpan for others and our saftey. Nobody has right to slap anybody else, and kirpan is for those who break that right. And thats not just for slap, thats for any right that someone might take away from human beings. Purpose of kirpan is to enforce justice for all, and to make sure that the ones that disobey or disrecpect or endanger that justice get put in their place.

No! You don't get it, my friend. Everything you just wrote was from your mouth. When you make a bold statement like you did earlier, you must back it up with Gurbani or don't dare try and say that Guru Sahib said anything of the kind.

No! You don't get it, my friend. Everything you just wrote was from your mouth. When you make a bold statement like you did earlier, you must back it up with Gurbani or don't dare try and say that Guru Sahib said anything of the kind.

so then my interptation of kirpan is wrong? ok, we'll dicuss that in anther thread. Go make another thread aksing purpose of kirpan, and we'll all post up replys, but lets stay on topic here.

Guest peacemaker

Dude, I'm not playing, but do you act this way just to get on my nerves? I am NOT talking about what you said about the kirpan, I'm still talking about the slapping part. Can you back it up with some gurbani that it is acceptable?