Christmas

Kharku

Celebrating Chritmas  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Celebrate It

• YES
    • NO
    • I don't celebrate it but respect it.

and to the comment made by someone saying christians don't celebrate vaisakhi...that's not true...

at my high school, there used to be a full anouncement on the PA system every vaisakhi and everyone was encouraged to ask the sikh students for more information...and every year..i had a tonne of goras come up to me and say happy vaisakhi...

i used to have friends insisting that i take the rest of the day off and that they'd cover for me....

so to say that christians don't join in with us, is false...again...you overgeneralized just like babbar did..

LOL. Yeah, and I guess your former school speaks for all the schools in all the Christian countries around the world, eh? Seriously man, your posts are filled with ego. Drop that ego of yours and than come on SS and talk, you seem like the typical giani's who go around thinking they know everything in the world and everyone must listen to them. I know you want to impress the sangat by telling them your such a saint, but its' okay not everyone is perfect you know. <_<

to those who are so 'anti-christmas'... ask urself why? what is it about these holidays that ur so against?

--Ok, when you click on a thread, try reading some of the responces before posting comments like that, becasue that tells me you didnt read anything. Show me where anybody has anything agaisnt Christmans as a holiday, besideds the fact it has nothing do with sikhy???

Who cares??

--Exactly, thats the kind of attitude that starts the ball rolling in the first place!!

it wud be heartbreakin for them to go to school the next day n everybody talkin bout all the xmas presents they got, n our 'sikh' kids sayin 'we don't celebrate.. i din get any presents'"

--You speak of heartbreaking?

Wouldnt it have been heartbreaking for Guru Gobind Singh ji to see others young kids going to school, and growing up and seeing them suceed in life? Wouldnt guru ji want to see his kids do the same? Wouldnt Guru ji get heartbroken cause his sons, at such a young age, gave up everything including their lives for Khalsa Panth?

--You say that if kids dont get presents that would be heartbreaking to see? We have seen nothing heartbreaking in our lifes. We make excuses to do things that we want, which dont bring us anything in life. And not getting presents is part of those excuses.

sometimes there's a fine line between stickin to ur beliefs and bein ignorant...

--notice that you said "sometimes", so "sometimes" there is NO fine line between stickin to ur beliefs and bein ignorant.

--did we say anything against christmas? did we say anything that would offend christians or their faith or their practises?...............NO!!!

How is that being ignorant?

Sacrifice is a big big part of being Sikh. And many people dont understand the concept of sacrifice.

what does sacrifice have to do with neting? what are you sacrificing by celebrating xmas??

btw.. the ignorance comes in when we'll gladly take the days off work/school for these holidays, but then sit here and say that its against sikhi... thats what i'm talkin bout..

Guest wallace singh
And, oh yeah, I got Christmas issues, too, but I'll get to them in another thread.

- ssa

this thread is about christmas. lets hear those issues......

Well, simply enough, it has to do with the wife's step-mother. She has decided, since my conversion, that only Christians should be receiving end of the year gifts, so I'm off the exchange. Mind you, they're still giving us their wish lists, of course. hug.gif

The gifts aren't about recognizing the importance of the birth of the Christ. Christmas became secularized decades and decades and decades ago, and at this point it's about the survival of merchants and toy manufacturers. I have no issues with a secular exchange of presents, and the spirit of the Christmas season is wonderful -- in fact, I was saying only the other day, with no small sarcasm, that it's the one time of the year that everyone acts like an ideal Sikh.

Do I want a tree? No. The wife does, and I've told her that I have no issues with its presence, but that I won't be decorating it. That, to me, is symbolic of reverence for it and ties back into the whole Northern European St. Nicholas thing. Interestingly enough, the Christians co-opted the tree from the Pagans.