Did Bhai Bala Exist?

There are some very talented and educated people here who are genuinely arguing both sides in an articulate manner, this is good and healthy. However we must be cautious of those who have other intentions and initially roped people in to this topic. If anything it is pretty clear that the legend of Bala is suffering from a Anti-Hindu mentality which seems all the rage amongst some here.

Others faiths and beliefs need not be failures in order for Sikh to succeed.

I think this is like the Raag Mala, Dasam Granth Sahib Ji,etc issues. Agree to disagree and call it a day.

Nobody's going to change their beliefs - if anyone doesn't want to believe that Bhai Bala existed, that's their problem and their loss.

It seems to me that multiple topics are being discussed simultaneously. In my opinion there are three topics.

1) Gurpurab in Kattak or Vaisakh

2) Did Bhai Bala Ji exist

3) Where did Bhai Bala Ji travel with Guru Sahib

The topic starter focused on the second question which I will try to reply to.

Vaars of Bhai Gurdas Ji

Let me just start off with some facts:

1) Vaars are not the only source of information

2) Vaars do not provide complete history of Guru Sahib

3) Purpose of Vaars is to show greatness of Guru Sahib rather than recording every life incident

In Vaar 11 total of 21 names of Sikhs are mentioned that lived during first Nanak. Surely there were many more. Many like Rai Bular, Lalo, Bibi Nanaki etc are not mentioned. Surely some are mentioned in Bani but if Bhai Gurdas Ji’s Vaars are to be used as the only reference which is being done by the other side then we are left with only tiny fraction of history. Famous Sakhi of Saccha Sauda is also not mentioned in Vaars which is very crucial in Sikhi because it set the milestone of human equality by establishing langar. One must take one stand: either Vaars are to be used as the only reference in or accept the fact that there are other sources which can be relied upon.

Vaars were written and compiled during Guru Hargobind Sahib. So why is name of Bhai Bidhi Chand missing who was so close to Guru Sahib? Most importantly, what is the basis of Vaars? How did Bhai Gurdas Ji come to know of what happened at Mecca and Medina? Who did he hear the sakhis from? Surely, he did not lie or make up any sakhi so he must’ve heard them from some Sikhs. It is fair to assume that whoever (Bhai Mardana Ji, Bala Ji, Saido, Sheehan, Hasso etc.) traveled with Guru Sahib told others of what had happened. Then it is also fair to assume that probably Bhai Mardana Ji told Bhai Bala Ji and others about what had occurred during the journey to Mecca. In fact, historical records show that many of the sakhis were documented by Guru Sahib Himself and Bhai Lakhmi Das Ji in a Pothi (completed in 1582) which I will discuss later. But the fact is that some written pothis were in existence which Bhai Gurdas Ji used as a reference. Scholars agree that Janamsakhi of Paira Mokha widely known as Bhai Bala Ji Janamsakhi was written during Guru Sahib’s time which was used by Bhai Gurdas Ji to write names of Sikhs in Vaar 11.

Guru Sahib’s meetings with Bhagats of Gurbani are not even remotely mentioned in Vaars. But historical records show and prove beyond the doubt that Bhagats had met Guru Sahib and became His disciples. Proofs are also present in Gurbani. Bhagat Kabir Ji’s one Bani is based on Patti of Guru Nanak Sahib and the fact that Bhagat Naamdev Ji having lived in Maharashtra was influent in Gurmukhi script and its grammar show that both learned Gurmukhi from Guru Nanak Sahib, the inventor. If we rely on Vaars as the only true source we will be left with not much of a history and will end up denying many of the important events and facts of our history. My whole point is that we must not deny the existence of Bhai Bala Ji just because his name is not mentioned in Vaars.

Janam Sakhis

The oldest Janamsakhi ever written has only 25 sakhis and the second has 30 sakhis of Guru Sahib. Both can be found in Reference Library of Amritsar. New Janamsakhis grew larger as more sakhis were found. Some were filled with imaginary and fake sakhis that were based on ancient beliefs. Another Janamsakhi or Pothi was written by Bhai Lakhmi Das Ji in 1582 by going to places and recording firsthand and eyewitness accounts. This pothi not only mentions Bhai Bala Ji but also Gurpurab in Kattak. See Siri Chand Parkash by Partap Singh Bedi for more information. I can also provide exact lines if anyone interested.

Another Janamsakhi written in 1713 mentions Bhai Bala Ji. It was an exact copy of the pothi written by Bhai Lakhmi Das Ji as is clear from its last page.

Ratnavali of Bhai Mani Singh is another version of Vaars and therefore cannot be considered another source. Janamsakhi of Bhai Mani Singh in fact mentions Bhai Bala Ji from pages 264 to 568. This Janamsakhi also highlights the point that Bhai Bala Ji was not with Guru Sahib all the time.

Sources that mention Bhai Bala Ji

It is asked by many if such a contemporary source exist that explicitly mentions Bhai Bala Ji. The answer is YES. Besides, Janamsakhis above Soochak Parsang Guru Ka written by Bhai Behlo Ji, contemporary of Guru Arjan Dev Ji, clearly mentions Bhai Bala Ji. It reads:

ਗੁਰੂ ਅੰਗਦ ਪਹਿ ਬਾਲਾ ਆਇਆ । ਜਨਮ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਗ ਸੁ ਭਾਖ ਸੁਣਾਇਆ ।

Granth of Bhai Behlo Ji is in the library of Dr. Trilochan singh. If Bhai Gurdas Ji didn’t mention the name then why did Bhai Behlo Ji mention it? Both existed during the same time. The above lines make it clear that Bhai Bala Ji narrated the sakhis and a Janamsakhi was written by Paira Mokha.

Mehima Parkash says:

ਬਾਲਾ ਸੰਧੂ ਅਉਰ ਸਭ, ਜੇਤੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੀ ਦਿਆਲ ।

ਸੁਨਿ ਪਰਮ ਧਾਮ ਬਾਬਾ ਚਲੇ, ਸਭ ਆਏ ਤਤਕਾਲ ।

Mehima Parkash also mentions that Janamsakhi of Bhai Pair Mokha was written. Paira Mokha Janamsakhi was narrated by Bhai Bala Ji, Guru Angad dev Ji (sakhis regarding last 6 years), Baba Buddha Ji and others.

Granth written by Baba Binod Singh, companion of Baba Banda Singh, also mentions the same thing. Parchiyan Sewa Das and Siri Nanak Chandrordh by Brahma Nand Swami also mention Bhai Bala Ji as well as Gurpurab in Kattak. There are numerous other sources written in 18th century all point to the same fact.

Bhai Karam Singh made a major mistake by claiming Bhai Bala Ji to be fictional. Granted that the Janamsakhi is not 100% correct but that alone does not prove his claims. It is a well known fact that much of our literature has been altered but Bhai Sahib did not consider an alternative approach to find out the truth. Further, he never approached descendents of Guru Sahib to confirm his hypothesis. Udasis and their granths such as Siri Chand Patkash confirm existence of Bhai Bala Ji.

There were other Sikhs who traveled with Guru Sahib as well but no one denies their existence. Which credible sources claim that Bhai Bala Ji traveled with Guru Sahib all the time? I haven’t come across any. Mehima Parkash, Soochak Parsang and other sources mention Paira Mokha Janamsakhi. Janamsakhi Bhai Mani Singh also acknowledges the fact that Janamsakhis had existed before and Meharbaan and the likes had altered them. Prof. Kartar Singh in Jeevan Katha Siri Guru Nanak Dev Ji mentions on page 254 that Paira Mokha Janamsakhi was altered and then popularized by Minas.

Many scholars forget the fact that Sikhs are prohibited from associating with Minas. They were the bitterest enemies of Guru Ghar and made up their own bani in which Nanak word was used. This is why Guru Arjan Dev Ji compiled Adi Bir and Bhai Mani Singh Ji wrote the Janamsakhi of which unfortunately we have the altered version. Then why are we trusting their work and altered Janamsakhis? Paira Mokha on the other hand had no motive of his own to write false date of Gurpurab. Meharbaan first wrote Vaisakh and Bidhi Chand altered Paira Mokha Janamsakhi. Both were enemy of the Sikhs and therefore cannot be trusted with their work.

Question of where did Bhai Bala Ji go with Guru Sahib needs to be researched thoroughly but this does not serve the basis for his non-existence. No source mentions that Bhai Bala Ji companied Guru Sahib throughout his life. Baba Buddha Ji couldn’t accompany Guru Sahib all the time either. Similarly, question of Kattak or Vaisakh is a different topic which I tried my best not to focus on but some research makes it evident that Vaisakh is false. Notion that birth in Kattak was considered bad is an empty claim and proves nothing. On the other hand it adds more to the fact that since Guru Sahib had come to erase misconceptions and spread the truth, He chose Kattak to dispel the darkness and reject falsified belief about this month. Numerous Sikhs such as Baba Buddha Ji, Baba Gurditta Ji, Baba Banda Singh and others were born in Kattak. Vaars and Kabit of Bhai Gurdas Ji in fact prove that Kattak is the real Gurpurab month but I will leave it here as my focus to prove the existence of Bhai Bala Ji. I have left out many points and facts but I hope I've made it clear enough. Those who do not want to agree can carry out their own research. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I do to a certain extend agree with Veer Bilja jee. More research is need in the kattik and vaisakh gurpurabh deicsion. It is evident that people are using the same referances for pro and against. The author you qouted: Prof Kartar Singh jee for example believes that the gurpurabh is in vaisakh and cites the same referances as those who are pro Kattik. The point about kattik being a bad month was by the editors of the Bhai Bala Janamsakhi, or the Handalis who according to their custom, was a bad month, hence it was a tool used within their community. I agree that it has nothing to do with Sikhi.

Thank you veer jee for presenting your ideas, I do think it would be good for further research in this area. Whether we believe in Bhai Bala or not, our Guru is Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee and we should not allow anything to divide us other than not having total nischa or belief in the Guru Granth Sahib jee and the PAnth Khalsa.

• 4 months later...
Singh, where do you find this gandh?

I guess whoever wrote those 'arguments' has never read Suraj Parkash or Bhai Bala's Janam Sakhis for themselves.

There's nothing to discuss. It's a pointless topic, those who don't want to see the truth won't.

Do u ever Read Bala Ji's Janam Sakhi

Tusi Bala Ji di Sakhi vich likhya hai ki jado Bala Ji Guru Nanak Dev Ji di Janam Patri leke Guru Angad Dev Ji kol aunde ne te Guru Angad Dev ji Janam Patri nu Awde Sir uthe rakhde ne te Bale nu kehnde ne Ki aaj tussa sanu Guru Nanak Dev Ji Di Darshan Karae ne

Matlab eh niklda hai ki Guru Ji nu Janam Patri Vicho Darsahn hoe Te. Jehdi Pothi Sahib si Uhna Vicho Nahi hunde si.

Je Bhai Bala Ji na hunde ta Guru ji nu Kade v Guru Nanak Dev Ji de Darshan Nahin hone c.

Eh ki betukia galla ne.

Je tuhade kol koi arguments nahi haige tan tusi is vich hissa na lao.