Bhangra And Sikhism

njjassa

Bhangra vs Sikhism  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Would you justify bhangra being a part of sikhism?

• I do
    • I totally disagree
    • No comments

There have been many instances outside punjab where we as a sikhs have gotten confused with this issue and probably have found ourselves in disrespecting many of the gurmat traditions pertaining to this topic. How would you justify such actions?

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Well I agree with the point of the poll, but its worded kinda weird.

Is Bhangra a part of sikhi? no

Is Bhangra against sikhi? I'd argue no as well

Its the classic culture vs. religion debate... sikhi as a religion is separate from the punjabi lifestyle culture. And in many ways, its the total opposite with the high rates of alcoholism, female fetocide, and stuff that is present in the "punjabi/desi culture".

But just as "dhaal and roti" are cultural things that aren't against sikhi, I suspect that different forms of dance, such as bhangra, are ok within a certain context.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I understand what you are saying, but these people will do anything to justify their actions, to the extent of twisting Gurbani. Guroo Panth has the duty to put a stop to the beadbi of Guroo Gobind Singh Ji's saroop that is taking place when a Sikh dances and also the damage they are doing to themselves. We should view that as the same as them doing any other bad thing and help them just as we would want them to tell us if we were doing something wrong.

Bhangra is part of the punjabi culture not sikhi but because majority of people in punjab used to be sikhs, others(including many of us) assumed that it is part of sikhi as one would only see a person in dastaar doing bhangra.

But would anyone care to tell me whats so wrong with bhangra? I understand people saying that its wrong if amritdhari sikhs are doing it but whats wrong with a person who hasnt taken amrit doing bhangra? coz at the end of the day its just a dance....Just because one wears a dastaar it dosnt make him a sikh.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

I think this must be the most repeated topic ever.

- Bhangra is a style of folk musical dance.

- Sikhism is a Religion.

The two are different things.

In Sikhism you are trying to become a saint-soldier so eventually over time your life starts to have activities which reflect that of a saint-soldier only. This means that Ultimately when you reach the brahim gyani stage then you will only like shabad kirtan.

Most people are not at that stage in their journey.