KICKED OUT from a Gurudwara

Simran9

Does a gurdwara's committee pplz have the authority to KICK OUT someone from a gurdwara and tell him he can't come there anymore? Just curious cuz I thought a gurudwara was a place open to anyone but recently this guy I know has been, whats the word..."bycaat" from the gurdwara just cuz committe members are against this guy who is from an opposin party.

lemme know ur views on this pplz. thanx.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's insane, there should be some plausable explanation for kicking someone out of gurdwara (i.e. believes that Kala Afghana has the right idea). Furthermore, it shouldn't be done by comitees. It should be done by sevadaars or granthis. There is no way the comitee at ur gw should have done this. It's insane, it's just politics. If I were you, i'd try to start a movement against all these useless comitees. All the people who are there do, is just put money in order. Anything else should be done by granthis, like khalsa schools and other stuff. They should definitley not exist at all.

It is sad. Gurdwara is 'Guru's-Dwara' (Guru's Place) and therefore, no one, but the Guru has the right to kick someone out or ask him/her not to come again. People are playing plain politics inside the Gurdwaras. Lots of things are happening that the Sangat in general is unaware of and does not want to know.

There was an incidence in Sikh History, I think around Guru Hargobind Ji's time that someone was beated up in the gurdwara for his wrong doings by the sangat and kicked out of the gurdwara. If someone remembers this plz post it.

Thanks.

yeh they do have the power... but so does every member of the sangat. we all have the right.. no, we all have the DUTY to kick someone out of darbaar who is either drunk, under influence of drugs, not obeying maryadha (eg. wont cover their heads or sumthing) or nething else that wud either be bad for the rest of the sangat or someone who poses a serious threat to Maharaj.... we are all soldiers, we all have a duty to protect and serve our Guru. Vaheguru.

Bhul chuk maaf if i have caused neone offence.

Sikh Rehit Maryada:

Appeals against Local Decisions

Article XXVII

An appeal can be made to the Akal Takht against a local congregation's decision.

http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_six.html

see the last part...

So if the person/sangat feels the decision was unfare or not reasoned with Panthic ideals etc. they may appeal at Akal Takht. I believe only Panj Piareh can make decisions in a local Gurdwara...so are you sure the commette did this, or Panj Piareh?

"bycott" is Panglish rolleyes.gif so may understand what that means.

I believe a person can be outcasted from the community if he/she has done something against the collective will of the Panth and by doing so has hurt the sentiments, or said something bad about Sikh tenets (Waheguru, Guru Sahiban, Panthic institutions etc). that is up to Akal Takht to deceide once the matter is there. However if it is only for political gain and without any negative acts/claims from, that person is outcasted, then i believe the commt may face some penelties.

Guest SikhForLife

aman said it right

lets not judge this gw commitee..

if they kicked out one of the kala afgana supporters or some other anti-panthic element then we should support them

since we dont know the details we have nothing to say.

Guest mehtab
i heard of a situation where a guy sued the gurdwara, so the gurdwara banned him....

wat do ppl think about that?

is that rite or wrong?

just wanna hear some views

a similar incident happened in Kansas...a bibi slipped and fell over the snow that had accumulated outside the Gurdwara, and so she sued the Gurdwara for not cleaning up the snow :umm: ...and ya ppl were told to not talk to her from then on, although she wasnt stopped from coming to the Gurdwara.

i don't think this guy is a kala afghani supporter, its nothin like that.

the committe has divided into parties and one party hates the other obviously. this guy said somethin against the other party pplz and they kicked him out. they even told off the granthi for being a witness to what happened. :umm: