Sign in to follow this  
SouthamptonBhujangi

Meat Being Served In Langar

Guest Guest

If this discussion gets no further than caste then we have no chance of changing this practice.

Please now step forward and take personal responsiblility of clearing the beadbi that takes place in this Gurdwara and the 14 other UK Gurdwaras which promote meat and alcohol on Gurdwara premises (including party halls).

Southampton

Gurdwara Tegh Bahadur Sahib

Bhatra Sabha

8 Clovelly Road,

Southampton

SO2 0AU

02380 224 744

London

Ramgarhia Sikh Association

Masons Hill,

Woolwich, London,

SE18 6EJ

020 8854 1786

Swindon

Shri Guru Nanak Gurdwara

Kembrey Street

Swindon,

SN2 8AZ

Essex

Sikh Temple (Grays),

6 Maidstone Road,

Grays, Essex,

RM17 6NF.

01375 376 086

Birmingham

Ramgharia Sikh Temple

6-9 Graham Street,

Birmingham,

B1 3LA

0121 236 5435

Birmingham

Ramgarhia Gurdwara

27-29 Waverley Road

Small Heath

Birmingham

B10 OHG

0121 771 0680

Coventry

Ramgharia Gurdwara Coventry

1103 Foleshill Road

Coventry CV6 6EP

024 7666 3048

Leicester

Ramgarhia Gurdwara Leicester

51 Meynell Road

Leicester

LE5 3NE

0116 221 6187

Dudley

Sri Guru Nanak Singh Sabha Gurdwara

118 Wellington Road,

Dudley,

West Midlands

DY1

01384 253 054

Wolverhampton

GURU RAVIDASS GURDWARA

181 Dudley Road,

Wolverhampton.

WV2 3RD

Telephone: 01902 822 958

Telford

Guru Nanak Gurdwara

1 Hadley Park Road,

Hadley,

Telford,

Shropshire

Leeds

Ramgharia Board Leeds.

8-10 Chapeltown Road,

Chapeltown,.

Leeds,

LS7 3AP.

Tel: 0113 262 5427

Sunderland

Guru Gobind Sikh Temple (Sunderland Sikh Association)

Ashbrooke Hall,

The Cloisters,

Sunderland,

County Durham

SR2 7ED

0191 5672939

Huddersfield

Guru Nanak Gurdwara

Prospect Street

Huddersfield

HD1 2NK

(01484) 423773

Cardiff

Nanak Darbar Bhat Sikh Temple

18 Copper Town,

Adamstown,

Cardiff

South Glamorgan

Wales

I browse through these forums once in a while when im bored it makes me laugh and angry!!! u visted and witnessed meat being served at these Gurdwaras yourself????? I've never got any meat in my langar at any west midland Gurdwaras so i guess if your going to name the temple show some evidence please!!!!not what you've hyeard but what you have witnessed yourself!!!people chat nonsense all the time. I have heard bhatra community eat meat in their Gurdwaras but Ive never been to their Gurdwara to comment on it and i dont understand if this is such an issue and you people witness it yourself Why speak out on here at not in the Gurdwara do other sikhs attending this temple not have a voice??? and why do sikhs always have to been up the caste system in every arguemnt I was told sikhism was supposed to end the caste system??? this is an invalid argument (hear say) so if you do witness anything please submit links,videos or pics etc

I browse through these forums once in a while when im bored it makes me laugh and angry!!! u visted and witnessed meat being served at these Gurdwaras yourself????? I've never got any meat in my langar at any west midland Gurdwaras so i guess if your going to name the temple show some evidence please!!!!not what you've hyeard but what you have witnessed yourself!!!people chat nonsense all the time. I have heard bhatra community eat meat in their Gurdwaras but Ive never been to their Gurdwara to comment on it and i dont understand if this is such an issue and you people witness it yourself Why speak out on here at not in the Gurdwara do other sikhs attending this temple not have a voice??? and why do sikhs always have to been up the caste system in every arguemnt I was told sikhism was supposed to end the caste system??? this is an invalid argument (hear say) so if you do witness anything please submit links,videos or pics etc

You will find that the above mentioned Gurdwara committees run community hall or party halls which permit alcohol, meat, tobacco and parties and are in direct violation of Sri Akal Takht Sahib's issued sandesh of April 2006. It has nothing to do with caste but there is no denying that caste affiliations have played a part in certain anti Sikh customs remaining unchallenged over the last 30 years or so.

I agree with you that there is more benefit in taking the issue up with the Gurdwara committees' themselves rather than post comments on the internet. However, what you may find now is the beginning of a manifest to eradicate anti Sikh practices which have entered a small number of our UK Gurdwaras (as mentioned above). This movement may have found it's roots in discussion forums such as these, where issues were first highlighted.

• Like 2

WaheGuruJiKaKhalsa WaheGuruJiKiFateh

wow first of all

this is how far we Sikhs have gone now

we have forgotten the teachings of our SatGuru.

whenever an issue is raised, the opposing sides always takes over and tries to defend anti panthic activities in the name of Sikhi.

As for meat, MAAS IS MAAS.

ultimately, ur gonna eat it. it dont matter whether u chop off its neck or u kill it slowly and read sum next gospels alongside.

Maas is forbidden in Sikhi. The End. It is forbidden. If u are addicted. Thats ur issue. Then u cant be a Sikh. Simple. Crystal clear. get that?

when we make subzi, do we ever argue oh we cant eat it because when it was plucked from the ground, it was done in a certain way, therefore we cant it. or when we're cutting it, do we ever argue over how it was cut , or how it was washed? ot how was it was made. if u have health issues or if ur a bibeki, then yea u have a reason to not eat certain foods. but why is there so much arguemtn over MAAS? doesnt that prove automatically that its not right? why does something has to be such a issue. why cant meat eaters just simply accept the fact that its wrong and forbidden in Sikhi?

if u guys dont agree with points ive made. then i suggest u read the articles on tapoban.org, under the articles section, there are 2 articles regarding this issue.

bhul chuk maaf

WaheGuruJiKaKhalsa WaheGuruJiKiFateh !!

wow why dont panthic singhs do something

they cant just let this happen

No-one wants to touch this issue, very sad. The best you can do is to get as many people as possible to ring up the Gurdwara and tell them to stop......

why not protest like with grays? it proved effective. Like do we really see phonecalls doing anything? It will either have to be through Akal Takht or UK sangat.

wjkk wjkf,

Just realised this video posted on YouTube was made in 2006, over four years ago...

Surely some action must have been taken..............my husband spoke to one on the singhs involved with the Grey's movement and he sed that the matter was in hand and there were some singhs who were looking into it.....

didnt go into too much detail though but hopefully that might re-assure people....

is there anyone who actually visits this gurdwara on a regular basis AND is a member on this forum?

can they give an accurate picture as to wether this beadbi is still continuing?

bhul chuck maafi

wjkk wjkf

wjkkwjf  sikhs who live  there should protest ,stop it as soon as posible, akal thakat 's member should take strict action , so it shouldn't commit by anyone in future

wjkk wjkf,

Just realised this video posted on YouTube was made in 2006, over four years ago...

Surely some action must have been taken..............my husband spoke to one on the singhs involved with the Grey's movement and he sed that the matter was in hand and there were some singhs who were looking into it.....

didnt go into too much detail though but hopefully that might re-assure people....

is there anyone who actually visits this gurdwara on a regular basis AND is a member on this forum?

can they give an accurate picture as to wether this beadbi is still continuing?

bhul chuck maafi

wjkk wjkf

That is a valid point. The video was taken in 2006. When speaking to a couple of local Sikhs, they said that as far as they are aware the English breakfast is still served at this Gurdwara on Sundays, however, they were not willing to go to the Gurdwara to confirm this as it's "not their Gurdwara".

Some UK prabhandaks were approached about this but did not seem interested in taking this further and brushed it off with a generalised claim that this "caste" of people serve meat in their Gurdwara's everywhere. Letters were also sent out to various big Gurdwaras and again no interest was received.

Until the sangat see equality in all Guru Ghars and that a beadbi in a specific Guru Ghar is a beadbi full stop regardless of us all hiding behind caste labels, nothing will change.

Firstly, we need feedback from the committee of this Gurdwara to know whether this anti Sikh practice still carries on and if so, what actions will be taken to adhere to Akal Takht Sandesh 2006.

Please don't get into a false sense of security that this issue is being dealt with because I can tell you from being one of the guys involved in Grays movement that besides a video going up on YouTube, no actions regarding the Southampton Gurdwara meat issue have been taken.

This now really needs to be escalated by the UK Sangat.

That is a valid point. The video was taken in 2006. When speaking to a couple of local Sikhs, they said that as far as they are aware the English breakfast is still served at this Gurdwara on Sundays, however, they were not willing to go to the Gurdwara to confirm this as it's "not their Gurdwara".

Some Singhs visited the Gurdwara last weekend and confirmed from individuals in the local congregation that meat is still allowed to be served in the form of sausages, bacon and eggs as a wedding "breakfast".

As the Gurdwara langar hall is now considered too small to accommodate wedding guest, the wedding "breakfast" has moved to the Gurdwara's annexed hall across the road.

NB this action is still in violation of Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh of 2006.

It is requested that the UK Sangat urgently start a dialogue with this Committee. As per what Gursa Singh has said above, there has definetly been no official communication made with this Committee.

Bhatra Sabha

8 Clovelly Road,

Southampton

SO2 0AU

02380 224 744

• Like 1

Guest Mr Singh

As a member of the Guru Tegh Bhadur Sahib Gurdwara: -

Just for the record, meat has NEVER been served as Langar by the Guru Tegh Bhadur Sahib Gurdwara, Southampton.

The rumour (which has escalated unbelievably)stems from the fact that the Gurdwara Sahib did allow for meat to be prepared for weddings, etc. However this was NEVER Langar.

The Gurdwara were officially sent a notice approximately 10 years ago informing them that this was a violation of Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh. On receiving this notice, the Gurdwara Sahib have stopped the preparation of meat on its premises and have got their act together, thankfully.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguu Ji Ki Fateh

p.s the address for the Gurdwara Sahib is: -

St. Marks Rd

Southampton, SO14 0NW

Tel: 023 8039 3440

but before you write or call please have a genuine idea of what has actually occured at the Gurdwara Sahib, before you are made to look foolish.

As a member of the Guru Tegh Bhadur Sahib Gurdwara: -

Just for the record, meat has NEVER been served as Langar by the Guru Tegh Bhadur Sahib Gurdwara, Southampton.

The rumour (which has escalated unbelievably)stems from the fact that the Gurdwara Sahib did allow for meat to be prepared for weddings, etc. However this was NEVER Langar.

The Gurdwara were officially sent a notice approximately 10 years ago informing them that this was a violation of Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh. On receiving this notice, the Gurdwara Sahib have stopped the preparation of meat on its premises and have got their act together, thankfully.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguu Ji Ki Fateh

p.s the address for the Gurdwara Sahib is: -

St. Marks Rd

Southampton, SO14 0NW

Tel: 023 8039 3440

but before you write or call please have a genuine idea of what has actually occured at the Gurdwara Sahib, before you are made to look foolish.

Thanks for the response. What about the Gurdwara owned hall across the road? Is meat still allowed to be served in there? According to the local community meat is allowed to be served on the morning of weddings.

This is more than just a rumour and regardless of your classification of langar, if the bacon and eggs were prepared or served in the Gurdwara langar hall then it's likely to have been interpreted as langar

The above video was taken in 2006, around 4 years ago, and the Sandesh was issued in 2006. Therefore I don't think your statement claiming the beadbi stopped 10 years ago holds true.

Nevertheless, "if" as you claim this practice has actually stopped then a signed statement from the Gurdwara committee clearly stating that they will adhere to the Akal Takht Hukumnama and will be most helpful in ensuring the committee do not look "foolish", something along the lines of:

[On the letterhead of Gurdwara]

"We, the Gurdwara Tegh Bahadur Sahib-Southampton Trustees, Committee Members and local community, hereby provide this written confirmation to the UK Sangat that we will abide by the Akal Takhat Sahib Sandesh dated 1 April 2006, and we will not permit parties, meat, tobacco and alcohol on the Gurdwara premises going forwards.

We understand that if we allow meat, tobacco or alcohol, on the Gurdwara premises, this will be deeply offensive to the UK Sangat's sentiments and we will be in flagrant breach of the aforementioned Akal Takhat Sahib Sandesh. Accordingly, the UK Sangat will then be entitled to take whatever action it deems necessary to prevent any such potential Beadbi re-occurring at the Gurdwara."

SIGNED

Authorised representative of Gurdwara Tegh Bahadur Saihb Southampton

• Like 2

This is sad and disgusting!! Why can't people be vegetarian for one day in a week. if they cant live without meat why cant they make it at their own place why do beadbi of gurudwaras?

this is upsetting.

Guest southamptonsingh

Have you guys been to the Southampton gurdwara recently?

1. This is a practice that has been banned for a a few years now. The gurdwara no longer allows meat preperation or meat served in the gurdwara premesis.

2. The meat was never served as "langar". Only part of a welcome for a wedding party in the reception hall downstairs.

3. The address and telephone number is not even correct in the video. Shows how upto date this clip is. The gurdwara has not been at clovelly road for over 10 years.

Guest southamptonsingh

Some Singhs visited the Gurdwara last weekend and confirmed from individuals in the local congregation that meat is still allowed to be served in the form of sausages, bacon and eggs as a wedding "breakfast".

As the Gurdwara langar hall is now considered too small to accommodate wedding guest, the wedding "breakfast" has moved to the Gurdwara's annexed hall across the road.

NB this action is still in violation of Akal Takht Sahib's Sandesh of 2006.

It is requested that the UK Sangat urgently start a dialogue with this Committee. As per what Gursa Singh has said above, there has definetly been no official communication made with this Committee.

Bhatra Sabha

8 Clovelly Road,

Southampton

SO2 0AU

02380 224 744

They must have been visiting the wrong gurdwara as you still have the wrong address.