ALCOHOL being served in GURUDWARA

Mkhalsa

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

no...that's not apositive solution.. why do people always wanna resort to the violent solution?!?!

as was stated above, some have tried talking to the committee, but it didnt work. i guess the next best thing is to take a buncha singhs with shasters to try to intimidate them, but if that doesnt work, you may have to use force to stop the beadbi.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

that's not likely gonna happen unless few local singhs and singhnia gonna make sure about the facts and then use the tool of education and awareness.. and Im pretty much sure that it will be resolved peacefuly :wub:

Some some points I got from the links.

Kava is a muscle relaxant

Kava provides relief for all kinds of pain, including headaches and migraines

Kava is a cerebral depressant - which apparently steadies the pulse, lowers body temperature, and counteracts obesity

Kava is slightly stimulating, relieves great fatigue, sharpens mental faculties promotes sociability

Just by read these points above it sounds like some sort of Drug, So It should be stopped.

Saying that we have the so call Nihangs that take Sukha (Weed), to me this may just be other form of Sukha.

I know Sukha (weed) is not allowed so that would also go for Kava.

ok so we have 2 kinds of kava:

1. the english kava which is the situation i am talking bout-->roots of a plant grinded into powder and mixed in water.

2. the indian/punjabi word kava which is totally different as far as i know. is a piece of cloth used for this? i think not. if it is juz cha without the milk then it this is something made like normal cha.

look at the pics i posted sangat ji, that is not how u make cha without milk. this is a different kava. the only people i know who drink this stuff are Fijian natives and the indian pplz who migrated to Fiji. As far as my experience goes, I have never met a punjabi from india who drinks this stuff. they think its something nasty crap. why would punjabi of punjab drink this nasha when they have desi sharab and english whisky? the fijian punjabi's are different. they were born in fiji, grew up in fiji culture and lifestyle, and kava is part of that.

btw, kava is english word for it. in hindi/punjabi its "nahgona" and thats the word they call it. if you say kava to them they might not even know what the heck u are talkin bout. :wub:

other thing i wanna say is we got to get organized and make some big plan bout this. here's my ideas so far:

we need to have a big protest there with signs and slogans etc. (like when kala afghani came to roseville gurdwara and cali singhs protested outside). we don't even need to bring extra kirpaans or shastars...most of the sangat here doesn't even carry a kirpaan since most of them are not amritdha

ri. other thing is we can't get too smart with them in punjabi since they will not understand the pure punjabi of india's sikhs. their mother tongue language is hindi, although there are some folks here who do speak punjabi and understand it very well, like the secretary.

one gurdwara hates to get its hands dirty in another gurdwara's problems....but other gurdwaras in cali can't let this happen here. they gotta be informed of situation and they need to do something, like contact GNSS commitee pplz. threaten them or something that they will be reported to akal takht or something. i dunno.

any major organization that can handle this kind of problem needs to be informed so they can also contact GNSS wale. we need as many sikhs as possible to protest against the drinkin of nahgona at a gurdwara. i think major organizations might look scary to GNSS wale cuz then they will think that big pplz have found out bout this so they better stop it.

this idea involves money: someone against this drinkin should have program there. they should have specific raagi jatha to do kirtan, specific speakers at the mic, and a bhai ji who does katha. all these pplz should speak out agaisnt the drinking of nahgona using shabads from gurbani which prohibit alcohol and drugs. <----money cost is in providing langar. however this is juz for last resort maybe, cuz problem can be solved without going to this extent.

what else?.......we need to get plans organized for action.....

keep the suggestions coming sangat ji

thanx ^_^

Unbelievable! For most of this post, you let people go on thinking we were talking about alcohol like beer or daru, now it turns out we're talking about something altogether different (which kava is).

Not saying this is ok, but please let's get our facts straight from the start next time... most of the postings here are now redundant!

Guest mehtab

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Big up to Sacramento sangat. ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

Here is an email I got.

Waheguruji ka Khalsa Waheguruji ki Fateh

Gur Peearee Sadh sangatjee,

Here is an update on the subject of the reconstitution and drinking of  Kawa otherwise known as nuhgona  on the property of Guru Nanak Singh Sabha Gurdwara.

For those of you who do not know what it is, here is a brief descriptio

n. It is a powder originating from a root that is very prevalent in Micronesia and Figi. It is mixed with water and served at social and religious services in those cultures. There it is used as an intoxicant to relax, decrease social inhibition, decrease aggression and is not physically addictive. It has numerous other psychotropic effects and is usually used as an intoxicant. It does make people sleepy and when taken alone by  certain sensitive people or in combination with sedating drugs or alcohol can be dangerous when one is driving or engaging in activities requiring full attention. Like intoxicants such as bhang and alcohol it has no place in the Gurdwara irregardless of whether it is a cultural habit or custom.

Two of us went to Guru Nanak Singh Sabha Gurdwara today after the Sunday Diwan. A few members of the sangat, Singh sevadaars and members of the management committee were there. We were received cordially and warmly. We presented them with a copy of an email of concern written to us by a member of their sangat with any reference to the writer deleted ahead of time.

We told them this was common knowledge in the internet sangat as well as the general Sikh community. We also mentioned the possible legal and safety ramifications of serving intoxicants  at a public place then driving from there intoxicated.We mentioned an article in a Marin county newspaper that mentions arrest of someone driving erratically after having drunk this concoction. We wove into our discussion Sikhi maryada regarding langar and  intoxcants. We impressed upon them the  negative example being given to the youth among the sangat.

The members of the management committee claimed not to endorse or sanction this conduct by a minority of members of the sangat body and expressed willingness to correct the situation by bringing this concern to the next general committee meeting There they will recommend a full ban on the use of this substance on Gurdwara property.

From reliable information

gathered from numerous sources in the Sacramento Sikh community, we gathered this practice has been an at best an intermittent chronic problem since the Gurdwara opened 2 and ½ years ago. Some people arriving from Figi merely continued the habit they were used to before they came here. It is expected that some time and education will be needed  for this sangat's community to rectify the situation. It was perceived the decision to address it in the management committee meeting is being made in good faith with the goal to achieve real change. The situation will be monitored over the next few weeks and appropriate escalating action taken till compliance to maryada is achieved if it is so needed.

Daassran appreciate the opportunity to serve the sangat in any way we can in a positive constructive manner to encourage a safe wholesome environment in espoused by the Sikh rehet maryada.

Sincerely,

Sangat members of the city of Sacramento

ohmy.gif

I went there sunday morning, and as usual found some guys sitting there drinkin their nahgona rolleyes.gif

I was THIS CLOSE to going up to them and saying something but then we were ready to leave so I missed the chance. :wub:

aaaaaawwwwwwww I love you Singhs/Singhnee-as who went there and did this!!! high5.gifpray.gifhug.gif :WW: ^_^

keep us posted, lets see what happens at thier commitee meeting.......

THANX ^_^