Northampton

NN1 2TN,

United Kingdom.

04 August 2004

Amarjit Atwal

Jagtar Cheema

Santokh Uppal

Dear Sirs

I have been made aware that the Gurdwara of which you all are Committee Members is planning to partake in a wedding ceremony at the Moat House Hotel, Silver Street, Northampton.

This is manmat and I am shocked to here that this Gurdwara has no respect for the Hukamnamma released by the Akal Takht banning such acts.

You must understand you roles as Committee Members. You are supposed to be promoters of Sikhi, not exploiters of the weaknesses in our community. By accepting the wishes of the family you have shown that Guruji is a commodity which you sell at a price.

Do you not think that if you refused the family, maybe they might have thought twice and moved the Anand Karaj to a Gurdwara.

I contacted the Gurdwara yesterday and spoke to someone who was instantly defensive about the situation. His counter argument was that Guru Maharaj is taken to peoples houses where meat & alcohol is consumed. This answer reflects the anti-gurmat behaviour of this Committee. At the end of the day these families who have Akhand Paths, Sehaj Paths, Sukhmani Sahib or Kirtan in their house will adhere to Gurmaryada, even if it is for a couple of hours or days. The hotel will not shut down its bar or close its restaurants for this wedding. Nor will the staff or the hotel guests cover their head and remove their shoes.

You cannot compa

re the sharda of the families who bring Guru Maharaj into their homes against the attitude of this family who are only concerned about the length & enjoyment of the reception party.

You are exploiting Guru Maharaj for your own ends, have you stopped to think how this affects the attitude of Sikh people? You represent yourselves and community & religious leaders, no wonder respect for Sikh people have reduced in the eyes of many. You are not practicing what you preach. Sikhi in the UK has been damaged by Committee members like you, this damage will take generations to mend. I plead with you to look at the long term effects your actions will have.

You must adhere to Gursikh principles, those who do have all their issues resolved by the Guru himself. Sikh History is full of Gurmukhs who lived and died for Gursikh ethics. We are not a great as these Sikhs but we should not stoop so low to sell and forget these ethics. By reconsidering your actions you will be upholding Sikh values for which you all became Gurdwara Committee members.

You must reconsider and stop this beadbi from happening on 22nd August. How can you partake in this insult and then celebrate 400 years of Guru Maharaj’s Prakash?

I hope the Guru blesses you with Gurmat ethics to run this Gurdwara.

Waheguruji Ka Khalsa Waheguruji Ki Fateh

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The letter by TavPrasad Singh Ji is excellent and sums up all the issues around the situation the Committee have created.

I agree that we need to set up a Nawjawan Sabha which will directly deal with these issues. However, in the meantime we still have to do the groundwork as individuals and try our best to impact.

Until we set up this organisation, it's up to us as individuals to stop this specific beadbi from taking place. We need to start somewhere. We need to make an example of the mockery that's going on.

We should all write letters to the committee, nothing is a waste of time, every little bit helps.

Guest noonespecial

Just a thought but...

WHY NOT CALL/WRITE/CONTACT AKAAL TAKHAT ABOUT THIS?

Also, the mere THOUGHT of hundreds of Singhs/Singhnees showing up to Trafalgar Square caused the "Alu Mushrooms" to not even SHOW UP! If I were in UK I'd call up the Gurudwara Committee and let them know that there will be hundreds of Singhs waiting for them at the Gurudwara the day of the wedding to stop them.

...let's see what they'll say...

The Gurdwara details:

Sri Guru Singh Sabha.

17-19 St Georges Street,

Off Regent Square,

Northampton

NN1 2TN,

United Kingdom.

Tel: 01604 634641

Please start writing to Amarjit Atwal, the President at the above address. We have under 2 weeks to do something!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please call or write sangatji. Please post any feedback that you get from the Gurdwara.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I have just joined this forum, because for the first time I feel that something proactive can be done to put a stop to all these bad practices carried out by our Gurdwara Committees. An example has to be made and it's the right time to do it. In 1 months time we will be celebrating 400 years of Guru Granth Sahib Ji's Parkash and the treatment of Guruji is at it's worst.

Weddings like this happen all the time but we never do anything about it. So now we are in an embarrising situation, which the Committees are ready to exploit.

I believe in my Guru, I respect my Guru. I will not let my Guru be abused.

I don't believe writting to the Committee will achieve anything. The only action would be to physically turn up and stop the wedding from happening. I will be there and I expect all Gursikhs to be there too.

I am arranging meeting up with some Singhs in our local area to decide what to do. Keep us posted.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Inderjeet Singh.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I just called the gurudwara and said theres gonna be a big protest with hundreds of singhs who will stop the wedding if you dont stop your beadbi.

and hes like dont tell me abuot respect, i know about respect, everybody does it there own way.

idiots.

he did give me a direct number to santokh uppal the secretary: 01604 475 802

if you are calling from outside uk its +44 160 447 5802

I wonder how everyone is talking to them. If you are not already, please talk to them politely, so they wont get down to the haumai/haunkar of themselves. Sometimes, people can be really rude or self-minded, u just have to convince them dat you are not talkin to them for da sake of an argument, but jsut to get to da bottom of things.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

When I rang the Gurdwara the person I spoke to was very rude. He said his stuff and slammed the phone down.

They are not willing to discuss the issues.

Daasn Daas Ji ring them and find out their attitude, believe me you will be shocked!

If i could i would. ANd i want to. But since i have no long distance phone here, no local phone, and FINALS open me, i will try to do it later. Hopefully by then it will be resolved.

I am surprised how this has become a major issue now, when i was not amritdhari, and use to goto a lot of apne punjabi weddings, i saw this going on everywhere.

Jio, this is one wedding, there is probably thousands of other weddings that happened or going to happen. How can we stop all those others ?? Only way is gurdwara, and what you singhs are doing, is good. Each and every gurdwara needs to know those rules, and expecially those rules that goes along wit our guru. NO beadbi watsoever.