Is it important to take cold bath at amritvela???

Sat Sri Akal:

"Always bathe in cold water. Do not bathe naked. Every day clean your teeth and twice comb your hair. Do not use snuff (nasavur). [17, 23, 25, 42] "

Tankahnama Bhai Nand Lal Sahib.

(http://allaboutsikhs.com/rehat/rehat_07.htm)

However, what the Panj Pyare tell you is important. Also, the Panthic Rehat Maryada does not specify what temprature water to use.

Hey, if you got the boldness, go for it.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I heard using cold water on ur hair may damage your hair roots, so warm water should be used for your hair and cold water for your body?

but doesnt seem practical having both, but as written above, we must have a bath in cold water.

what do you guys think?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I was speaking about this with a homeopathic doctor and he said that for some people the shock of cold water would not be good for their body if done every day. He suggested using lukewarm water; or starting with lukewarm water and slowly changing to cold so there is not such a shock. So you could wash your hair first while the water is lukewarm.

Some questions from me:

I have been wondering for a while now.....

how did Rehatvaan Sikhs in the old days bath? Okey, with cold water (which is possible in Punjab) and with Kacherras on (which is also positive)

But did they have bathrooms etc. I really doubt they had all the facilities the way we have, changing water temperature and laying the tub, this and that....

Did they bath outside? I mean in villages there are/used to be something called 'bambian' (it is water stored outside in the farms?), and from what i gathered of village life in Punjab people either went to local bambi or talab (pools) or sarovars attached to local Gurdwaras (or other such sites..)

I doubt there was a drainage/water system the way we (or people in Punjab) have now. So if anyone has got some thoughts on this...please share.

it is kind of 'sociological' aspect of old Punjabi-Sikh life.

And some questions:

1. Could it be that the cold water Rehat is stressed because using hot water is seen as luxury, ie not go by the simple way, but boiling the water or using extra resources? And not to mention, time...as perhaps it was thought that we should bath quickly and start with Nitneem at once, and no time for luxury/boiling etc.

Or is this commandment based upon more practical; 'awakning' reasons, the way it is interprated now; that cold water wakes us so we are able to do Nitneem with more concentration.

2. Could it be that (give the thought that Old Punjabis used to bath outside) the Rehat to bath with a Kacherra is stressed, as there is sharam (shame) bathing outside naked. And if someone show a person etc..it could lead to distra

ctions on the path that Gursikh is following, ie on his way to Nitneem. If this is so - is the commandment similar for bathing inside, given that there is no one who can see, or are we hiding from outselves? (perhaps kaam etc...) Some people would say that as it is kakaar it is to be there all the time. But no...when you are, you take off the dastar/open the kesh...let loose the kirpan (or it gets rusty/wet). So that can't be the reason....also it is written 'you shouldn't bath naked' (and not 'you shouldn't bath with kakaars')

I am not attacking anything here, just setting the whole picture into the context, with regards to the social reality of eighteenthcentury Punjab.