Do We Celebrate Christmas And New Year

carinder

Guest Jacfsing2

As partial observer, it's a shame how the birth of Jesus - a notable religious figure who, it is safe to say without fishing out the crucifix and stroking it admiringly, did good whilst on this earth - is an excuse to drink, eat, and buy frivolous goods in an apparently excessive manner. Aside from the observant (who are a gradually decreasing minority), Christmas is so far from what it should be. God forbid Sikhi should ever begin to resemble anything similar when our faith has been in existence for 2000+ years.

If Christians started being true to their faith, technology would be really backwards and society would probably really barbaric.

why are most Punjabi Sikhs big hypocrites ?

There was some reputable bhai saab from local gurdwara last year ranting on about why we shouldn't have anything to do with Christmas. like no cards, no regards or best wishes to fellow neighbours...etc... anyway this same pardaan got his daughter married this year and guess what ??? the biggest venue picked for wedding reception party>> with biggest seva of booze and meat for the guests....... so tell me, what did his xmas speech really mean to me?

I say to my kids, if Guru Nanak ji was stood there watching you,>> would he get more annoyed watcing you pay for meat sharab being served or would he would he be upset if he saw you giving Christmas cards to friends and neigbours and wishing happy holidays ??

You sikhs all know who you are >>> my Punjabis not too good but theres some saying about put the stick under your own manjhah before ranting about others.

As partial observer, it's a shame how the birth of Jesus - a notable religious figure who, it is safe to say without fishing out the crucifix and stroking it admiringly, did good whilst on this earth - is an excuse to drink, eat, and buy frivolous goods in an apparently excessive manner. Aside from the observant (who are a gradually decreasing minority), Christmas is so far from what it should be. God forbid Sikhi should ever begin to resemble anything similar when our faith has been in existence for 2000+ years.

We're not far off. Sgpc spent near 2lakh and chartered a plane to import flowers for Guru Maharajs gurpurab...the same Guru who chose to spend his fathers money feeding the poor rather than on business.

We're really not far off :(

We're not far off. Sgpc spent near 2lakh and chartered a plane to import flowers for Guru Maharajs gurpurab...the same Guru who chose to spend his fathers money feeding the poor rather than on business.

We're really not far off :(

The mixed messages don't help. On one hand we've got the "extravagance and excess are antithetical to the teachings of our Gurus" but on the other hand there's "Nothing is too good or expensive for Guru Sahib. To NOT spend on such things is an insult." I wonder where the truth lies in these cases?

The mixed messages don't help. On one hand we've got the "extravagance and excess are antithetical to the teachings of our Gurus" but on the other hand there's "Nothing is too good or expensive for Guru Sahib. To NOT spend on such things is an insult." I wonder where the truth lies in these cases?

Our lot are incapable of subtly or sophistication. They usually go for one extreme or the other. Balance elude them.

The answer would be, no, as sikhs we don't celebrate Christmas. Do Christians celebrate any of the Sikh festivals? No. Do Muslims celebrate any Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist or Christian festivals? No.

I hear what you're saying but I think we also need to factor in that (from what I see) for the majority of people who celebrate xmas (in the UK at least) it's long been stripped of any religious connotations.

It's more of an opportunity for family to link and have a bit of a party. Jesus nothing to do with it.