Sikhism On Vegan ?

thenormalguy

ba[n]dhae chasam dheedha[n] fanaae ||
dhuna[n]aeeaa muradhaar khuradhanee gaafal havaae || rehaao ||
gaibaan haivaan haraam kusathanee muradhaar bakhoraae ||
dhil kabaj kabajaa kaadharo dhojak sajaae ||2||
O human being, whatever you can see with your eyes, shall perish.
The world eats dead carcasses, living by neglect and greed. ||Pause||
Like a goblin, or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat.
So control your urges, or else you will be seized by the Lord, and thrown into the tortures of hell. ||2||

baedh kathaeb kehahu math jhoot(h)ae jhoot(h)aa jo n bichaarai ||
jo
sabh mehi eaek khudhaae kehath ho tho kio muragee maarai ||1||
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.
You say that the One Lord is in all, so why do you kill chickens? ||1||

kal hoee kuthae muhee khaaj hoaa muradhaar ||
koorr bol bol bhoukanaa chookaa dhharam beechaar ||
jin
jeeva[n] dhiaa path nehee mueiaa ma(n)dhee soe ||
likhiaa hovai naanakaa karathaa karae s hoe ||1||
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, people have faces like dogs; they eat rotting carcasses for food.
They bark and speak, telling only lies; all thought of righteousness has left them.
Those who have no honor while alive, will have an evil reputation after they die.
Whatever is predestined, happens, O Nanak; whatever the Creator does, comes to pass. ||1||

kabeer khoob khaanaa kheecharee jaa mehi a(n)mrith lon ||
haeraa rottee kaaranae galaa kattaavai koun ||188||
Kabeer, the dinner of beans and rice is excellent, if it is flavored with salt.
Who would cut his throat, to have meat with his bread? ||188||

kabeer bhaa(n)g maashhulee suraa paan jo jo praanee khaa(n)hi ||
theerathh barath naem keeeae thae sabhai rasaathal jaa(n)hi ||233||
Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine
- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

saev keethee sa[n]thokheeea[n] aee jinhee sacho sach dhhiaaeiaa ||
ounhee ma(n)dhai pair n rakhiou kar sukirath dhharam kamaaeiaa ||
ounhee dhuneeaa thorrae ba(n)dhhanaa a(n)n paanee thhorraa khaaeiaa ||
thoo[n] bakhaseesee agalaa nith dhaevehi charrehi savaaeiaa ||
vaddiaaee vaddaa paaeiaa ||7||
Those who serve are content. They meditate on the Truest of the True.
They do not place their feet in sin, but do good deeds and live righteously in Dharma.
They burn away the bonds of the world, and eat a simple diet of grain and water.
You are the Great Forgiver; You give continually, more and more each day.
By His greatness, the Great Lord is obtained. ||7||

What excellent and 110% correct and perfect translations. Main ta dhan ho haya, dhan!

People say Christians and Muslims take everything too literally, it seems they aren't the only ones anymore.

These tuks are metaphors.

It’s ridiculous when people post random tuks together to push their warped view of Gurmat and confuse others.

All the translators pushed their own agendas too and look at the state of youth today, running around with translations like fanatics.

Everyone should post the context and uthankaa of the FULL Shabad. Do arth of the Bani. See what different Teekas say. Not just post random bits of Gurbani translations to make baseless points.

And people claim to know what Gurbani has spoken against. Lol what a joke.

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

Guru Granth Sahib has said all food is pavittar , given to all according to their needs ...without naam and being aghirtghan we eat that which we have polluted with our own bad thoughts and actions . Let not fight about what is pure and not to eat, but strive to improve our levels of bhagti and gratitude  and do ardas that we rise above our swaad ras ...

Satbachan!

This is pretty much what I said in my first post in this thread, but unfortunately people only noticed the word Jhatka and started displaying wild fanatic tendencies.

Anyway...

You shouldn’t worry too much about what you should or shouldn’t eat. There are no hard and fast rules in Sikhi about diet, no matter what people claim. Just stay healthy and keep your health at an optimum level at all times. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji aren’t a health guide, they do not comment on dunyavi gallan. Guru Ji is the one who will help us to merge with Parmatma, that’s it.

Diet will change according to your avastha, it’s not a black and white subject. It is in fact a very fluid subject I would say. As long as you maintain a balanced diet and try you best not to over indulge, then over time you can adjust your diet dependent on your spiritual state. However, I would say it’s important to dwell on where you see yourself in the Panth and what kind of Sikh you aspire to be as this will also determine your diet somewhat. Meantime de vich Bhagti karo ta fer baad’ch o dekhi jaio ki hunda.

6 hours ago, Preeet said:

Why not try weed or drugs too then? Why is flesh even considered to be food, and no meat is not pavitra.

preet why are you trying to be obtuse? Drugs are different from food ... maybe you need to read Guru ji properly about food - food is part of maya  and therefore irrelevant to a gursikh what is important is state of existence living in gratitude and doing naam kamai

http://akalinihang.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/ungrateful-stare-is-most-polluted.html

5 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Soo are vegans fine using computers since they're made using animal products? are they willing to give up the internet as well then? How about medicine? 

If ethics is the question then where to draw that line. 

ethics for a gursikh begin and end at what Guru Pita ji has taught us through Bani and life , if you see Him in all things you will not take more than is basic need , you will not exploit others human and otherwise  for own swaad ras Kaamna (desires) . What I have noticed in life the more bhagti the less I feel attached to things, people etc and yes it affects taste too. I have to ask others to taste food as I cannot taste the same things anymore ... I prefer what Guru ji has made naturally ...it is more calming...

4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

ethics for a gursikh begin and end at what Guru Pita ji has taught us through Bani and life , if you see Him in all things you will not take more than is basic need , you will not exploit others human and otherwise  for own swaad ras Kaamna (desires) . What I have noticed in life the more bhagti the less I feel attached to things, people etc and yes it affects taste too. I have to ask others to taste food as I cannot taste the same things anymore ... I prefer what Guru ji has made naturally ...it is more calming...

Sis that's totally true but it's like you said, to give up desires. I've noticed alot of people claiming they do it out of Daya and compassion (not drinking milk) but the use of animal products in other every day items should also be something they can easily give up. But most don't, Guru Sahib taught us not to be hypocrites as well. There's no point creating a song and dance about how you've given this up and that if you can't give up things even less important than milk.

10 hours ago, Preeet said:

Why not try weed or drugs too then? Why is flesh even considered to be food, and no meat is not pavitra.

I think you answered your own question because it seems like you were stoned when you wrote this absurd comparison.

Have you never heard of nutritional content/value? Please tell me what nutritional content/value do drugs provide?

And who made you a member of the Pavitar Food Committee?

8 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

Sis that's totally true but it's like you said, to give up desires. I've noticed alot of people claiming they do it out of Daya and compassion (not drinking milk) but the use of animal products in other every day items should also be something they can easily give up. But most don't, Guru Sahib taught us not to be hypocrites as well. There's no point creating a song and dance about how you've given this up and that if you can't give up things even less important than milk.

for me I do ardas of gratitude for the good weather and plants that gave its life and the people's efforts (farmer, merchant, transporter, shopkeeper) for my use . I think doing ardas before eating is vital because we are so blessed and yet we do not take time to consider the days and months and years of blessings that are pargat in that meal/thing.