Help regarding Parents and Ritualism

Thanatos

8 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

Problem with neither eastern nor western population is that they want best of both worlds.

It's like living in Utopia.

If you're westernised why don't you leave family home & parents should kick kids out when they are adults.

Otherwise learn to be obedient CHAKAS !

Stop making out rakhri has got anything to do with respect to parents. It's a stupid ritual. Carry on celebrating, nobody's stopping you, but stop the nonsense of parenting skills to justify rakhri. Just because you don't get it don't mean other parents  don't either. 

You can't force somebody to do what they don't want to just for rituals. What if the sister was forced to have it tied on her and said "I'm higher than you, you need my protection, so I'll give you lots of money for the deal. And this colourful thread has lots of magical powers." Why doesn't that happen. 

Maybe then you will understand as to those that don't want it doing. 

Maybe you should learn to stop imposing your desi backwards meaningless superstitious, views on others too. 

Those that want to celebrate it will, those that don't want to won't. It's got nothing to do with respect for elders. 

With me it's about not wanting to do something that has no meaning of purpose. 

Buying coloured thread that's going to be thrown away is not going to benefit me in any way. Neither will it increase any respect anybody has for anybody else, be it parent or sisters, brothers as that should already be there. And one stupid day of showing off materialistic of the year isn't going change that. It's dumb, it's fake and the brother shouldn't have to show he cares on one day only. Neither a sister to show her love on one day only. Also because it's an Indian culture, and I don't want to do it just to please society, because I'm not from India, and the Sikhs did not invent it. So why on earth I want to celebrate it? 

So I will be disobedient where I'm forced to do something that I don't want to and is not part of my faith. 

And you are still using Gurbani to promote rakhri, which is not wise too.  By not taking part in it will not lose any respect for anybody, it's about coming to compromise where the whole family understands why it won't benefit. And the ones that understand have more respect then not less. 

This is the same as dahej, for those that can't see it. If a brother wants to give his sister money he can give it without society slotting one day in the year, to do it. 

You are forgetting those women that have to carry on with married life, that have problems and the parents family does not want to intervene to get her out of the hardships and negativity towards her, but then think it's ok on rakhri to give her loads of money to make up for it. 

This should pretty much put why its anti-gurmat to rest

It's a sexist tradition, Sikh woman don't need anyone protecting them. There's no record of Sikh woman like Mai Bhago ever taking part in this backwards tradition. Guru Gobind Singh Ji armed woman to protect themselves, Only person who guards them is Maharaj.

Thread can be locked now :) 

Since some are replying with Gurbani, I'd also like to finish off with what Guruji tells us also and also in the video that Guest Person put on:

SGGS Ji Ang 962

?? Dhan Guru Arjan Dev Ji 

तिथै तू समरथु जिथै कोइ नाहि ॥

Ŧithai ṯū samrath jithai ko▫e nāhi.

There Thou art, O Omnipotent Lord, where there is none else.

ओथै तेरी रख अगनी उदर माहि ॥

Othai ṯerī rakẖ agnī uḏar māhi.

There in the fire of mother's womb, Thou protectest the mortal, O Lord.

5 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

I thought akj & bibeki's had more knowledge of Gurbani 

http://igurbani.com/?shabadid=4258&id=51611

Bhoomia chor ate salt from Kings bhandaar while committing theft.

He later realised Guru Sahibs Updesh  "jidha namak khana us nu haraam nahi karna"

Gurbani & Saakhi both support what I wrote.

Did Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji get paap for arguing with his father over the Janeu?  The shabad you provided a link to is saying listen to the true father's command Akal Purakh. 1st puri after rahoa says he is your God meditate on him.  So do you consider your birth father to be god and do you meditate on him?  Biggest sin of all is to knowingly twist Gurbani.  

9 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

There is no justification for Rakhri as per Gurmat, totally agree !

It is the Grehasti Jeevan or householder lifestyle which gets disturbed by disobeying parents & hurting your sisters sentiment. That too is not permissible as per Gurmat !

So nobody's is an absolute winner or absolute loser.

Brother when we enter khalsa jeevan Guru ji is our Maa Baap so the familial ties are subservient to Guru ji's hukham or have you forgotten the sakhi about the young gursikh whose mother lied to the mughals that my son is not a singh and told him to denounce Guru ji's sikhi just for her mamta's sake and what was that gursikh's attitude ? 

That's right he disowned his mother and went forward for shaheedi ...   Grisht jeevan is a blessing but when it stops us from doing our duty as Gursikh's then it becomes a burden. Rakhsha Bandan has never been celebrated by any of the Guru Sahiban or Gursikhs as the attitude is foreign that one needs reminding yearly of one's daily duties to all women. If you are foolish enough to not remove superstitious nonsense from under your own roof how are we going to help others?

My twins sons Dayal and Bahadur did a nice skit yesterday at the dinner table . 'bro Apparently it's Rakhri in HIndia ,I forgot to remind you that I love you and you need to look out for me '

'OHHHH YEAH totally slipped my mind <facepalm> you seen Isher Kaur lately ? I heard we are supposed to look after her too' (both grin widely at me )

'Mum why are people so foolish ? if you are sikh that means you look after all the world as your bro and sis we don't need no thaaga and our sis knows we'd always be there for her too goes without saying'

finally if the rakhri had any value to HIndians Jassa Singh ALuwalia wouldn't have had to raid caravans and then when those girls got rejected by their parents/families  our ancestors wouldn't have had to marry them and give them value and respect in their stead.

15 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Did Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji get paap for arguing with his father over the Janeu?  The shabad you provided a link to is saying listen to the true father's command Akal Purakh. 1st puri after rahoa says he is your God meditate on him.  So do you consider your birth father to be god and do you meditate on him?  Biggest sin of all is to knowingly twist Gurbani.  

The guy who wrote this story should have added that for disobeying father, son was shown the door which is more realistic, especially in olden times

Why the janeu refusal got no backlash whereas Guru ji got slapped for doing Sacha Sauda ? 

Being shamed in front of Biradri is a bigger thing then losing money !

Guess it's time to review stories, cover the loopholes, make them more realistic.

Coming to the Shabad if you believe that Akal Purakh is your father then what is keeping you from leaving birth parents ?

P.S - I am not supporting or promoting Rakhri, Janeu or misinterpreting Gurmat just  being pragmatic and presenting a different point of view from majority.

Will request all Sikhs to stop being hypocrites, first become financially independent, move out and then do your own thing.

8 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

The guy who wrote this story should have added that for disobeying father, son was shown the door which is more realistic, especially in olden times

Why the janeu refusal got no backlash whereas Guru ji got slapped for doing Sacha Sauda ? 

Being shamed in front of Biradri is a bigger thing then losing money !

Guess it's time to review stories, cover the loopholes, make them more realistic.

Coming to the Shabad if you believe that Akal Purakh is your father then what is keeping you from leaving birth parents ?

P.S - I am not supporting or promoting Rakhri, Janeu or misinterpreting Gurmat just  being pragmatic and presenting a different point of view from majority.

Will request all Sikhs to stop being hypocrites, first become financially independent, move out and then do your own thing.

The "guy" who wrote it was Bhai Bala Ji, The "guy" who confirmed it, not only did it with Guru Angad Dev Ji's permission but later it was reuttered by Bhai Gurdas Ji and Bhai Mani Singh Ji (iirc).  Both are Brahmgyanis who deserve the utmost respect, so are you saying they were liars? . Rather than telling others to "review" the stories maybe re-learn them bro.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a young child, he outwitted the Brahmin priest in front of the entire congregation, he spoke the truth. Ask any reasonable parent around, would you slap your kid in front of the entire village? no they wouldn't. His debate was so logical it maade everyone see logic, Mehta Kalu Ji slapped Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj because he was blinded by the smaller picture (financial lose). This occurred when they were both alone. Please don't compare 2 instances and try to join connection.

What do you have to say to the person who rejected his mother when she told the Mughals he wasn't a sikh? that he dishonoured her and was a disgrace as a Sikh? 

My parents were the ones who put me on the path of Sikhism, as is the case here with everyone. The true hypocrites are the ones who encourage someone to follow one route but don't wish to do it themselves.

I have a question for you. If your parents ordered you to cut your kesh, would you do it?

Next year the thread title will be “Does wearing a rakhri mean I support RSS?”

A lot of apne need to take a few Benadryls because they’ve got a serious Hindu allergy.

Rakhri is NOT a religious ceremony anyway.

Why people can’t understand that symbolic practises are not anti-Gurmat is beyond me.

One must understand that symbolic practises and rituals are criticized in Gurbani as people had started to believe that the rituals alone had spiritual benefit. If we follow Gurbani then we wil not fall into this trap.

But by using the logic that xyz is anti-Gurmat and an empty ritual then many things in Sikhi would need a serious overhaul. Other aspects of our lives would also need rethinking.

When we get into this frame of mind you can ask whole load of ridiculous questions. You can see how quickly it becomes pagal puna to ask such bakwaas:

Many people wear a thin Kara so the Kara has become symbolic. Should we stop wearing them?

Why matha tek? It’s only symbolic.

Why do palle da rassam before Anand Karaj? It’s only symbolic. Hell why even do phere around Mahraaj during Anand Kaaraj.

Why do we have white chadaraan at the Gurdwara? It’s just a symbolic way of Mahraaj calling us the Sadh Sangat so we don't really need them.

Why have jyot at the Gurdwara? And you can’t say because ghyio purifies the air because jyot these days is always in a small cabinet tucked away in a little corner. It’s just symbolic.

Tbh why do we even have Akhand Path maryada? Much of it is symbolic.

What’s the point of the Khanda? It’s just a symbol isn’t it? Similarly why does Nihang Fauj wear Aad Chand? Just another symbol isn’t it?

Why have Amrit Sanchar? It’s just symbolic.

Why did Guru Sahiban do the rituals and symbolic practises when passing on the Gurgaddi? It was just an empty ritual and symbolic!! Will people now go and question Mahraaj?!

Why did Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Mahraaj wear a Kalgi? It’s only symbolic of being a King. Will we now question Mahraaj?!

The above are just a few obvious questions that can be asked but if we keep going, as I once read, we will firmly end up in Kala Afghanas camp. The missionaries are attacking Sikh left, right and centre by posing similar questions but about the fundamental concepts of Sikhi.

Please stop this Talibanisation of Sikhi Sangat Ji.