Opinion On Wearing A Kara

singh2k

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love wearing a Kara. Nothing wrong with it. The one im wearing atm I just got after having my old Kara for 2 years, it was too small. My whole hands was basically in PAIN after it took 1/2-1 hour taking it off. Many things we tried. I went to doctor, and I was lucky enough not to break a bone. I was being stubburn and didnt wanna take it off.

But my point is, I do not feel anyhting wrong with wearing a Kara. If it gets small enough where you need to group your whole hand,fingers toghter into a narrow hand before you take it off, then that means get a new one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also if your a sikh you keep all 5 K's. There is FEW excuses that count. I say this because I lost my hair at age 5. My parents both worked and I was starting kindergarten, well after two weeks I was in pain because here in the US, kids use to pull my hair and etc. So, instead of causing harm to me, my mom cut it. She did not have enough time to take care of me as it was. Both parents worked and are working VERY hard. So, I actually am happy that my mom did this. If she didnt I would have less hair and I would have worse headaches.

Although I am looking into growing my hair after college. I already have my beard come in and am NOT shaving it. I love my beard and its not big.

Anyway, Keep all 5 K's or do not call yourself sikh. Simple as that. If other Respectable Sikh's can do it, so can us SIKH"s who want to.

Cheers,

-Sikh.

What I'm getting from all this is that we have lots of people who are proud of their Sikh heritage but only some who are able to take the step and commit to full amrit.

What I think I am seeing is that there is a lot of affection for the Sikh thing from a whole spectrum of people. I think that is lovely and promising.

I was reading some vars of Bhai Gurdas and he was saying how this thing was a ferry for us to cross the stormy seas of life. I hope we ALL get to the other side and get to meet each other with our tales.

WJKK

WJKF

PS - i'm sorry if i've offended anyone.

How can you offend anyone?

It was well said.

Also, yes your right I do hope WE ALL can get to the other side. I would love to.

Also, meeting another sikh is always fun. Exspecially here in the Western side of the world where I blieve there is too much lost hope. I mean no one knows what they are anymore, and if they are something, there are a 3+ mix(i.e. Mom is jew/irish, dad is german) etc. Just makes me feel proud that my parents tought me the good morals in life.

Cheers,

-Sikh.

• 2 years later...
Whats your opinions on wearing a kara and not keeping kesh?

well dasmesh pita says...

>> bilaa kesh hech, ast jumale nishaan<<

without kesh, all the other nishaanis are pointless........(because you have no grounding for understanding what sikhi is.. or where it starts from or what guru says about rom rom simran.... so keeping youself handcuffed to what you dont believe in or lisen to, is jumala!) dhan dasmesh jis writings.

well wearing a kara is better than not wearing one

agree

for me a kara is shastar 1st!

'The Sikh of the Guru will not fight with hands and feet [unarmed combat] with anyone. Let him look out for the honor of his long hair.'

('Rehitnameh', edited by Piara Singh Padam, Pa. 89)

The Khalsa warriors of old were fully aware that in close-quarter hand-to-hand combat, long uncut hair could prove disadvantageous. The hair could provide additional grappling/manipulation aids by which an opponent could destroy him.

As such, it has to be appreciated when the ancient warriors fought what is termed 'unarmed combat', a 'Bagh Naka' for close quarter combat grappling was employed in left hand together with a 'Kara' for striking the 'Marma'.

These two 'Platha' weapons the Akali Nihang Singh Khalsa is expected to wear at ALL times.

hence why I always have a nice usable kara not a big chunky one a nice lightweight kara which is usable!

for people who dont know what platha is Bhai Ranjit Singh explained what it is, he was once a student of shastar vidiya.

'Platha is fighting without weapons. Without weapons hand-to-hand as I have shown to disarm some one's weapon, they are all techniques of Platha. All techniques of Platha, all stratagem of Platha are to disarm someone. If you do not have a weapon and an armed opponent is coming, then disarm him. If then you desire not to engage with a weapon, then throw the weapon aside. Fight him hand-to-hand take hold of him. Your total fighting art is only then complete if you know everything. If you do not know Platha for instance, your weapon brakes in battle, what will you do then? Concede defeat, get beaten or die? Platha is also essential as Shastar Vidiya. The Pentra of Platha is essential. You must have all the skills only then is your fighting art complete.'

(Bhai Ranjit Singh, transcript of interview, 4th March 2001)