Pakhandi Neeldharis Doing Hindu Style Aarti In Front Of Sggsj

SaRpAnCh

A simple yes/no question: have any of you disputing aarti read & done vichar of Guru Sahib? I hope so because no one really has a right to question anything if they don't even know their Guru. We all claim to be 'Sikhs' of Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj, but if we don't know or understand what Guru Ji is saying, whose Sikhs are we?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait.....Why is this "aartee" considered a "sign of respect"? How does waving candles around show respect? Why is it considered the same as bowing down to Guru Ji? Isn’t bowing down just the simple action of greeting Guru Ji, that’s why you have hands together as you approach Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, asking Guru Ji to guide you through this crazy world?

I think this “aartee” stuff is a just precursor to ritualism for the simple fact that people (by people I mean current day Sikhs) are getting lazy. The simple action of bowing down is now considered to be a sign of “Bhagatee” or devotion instead of listening and trying to understand and practice Gurbani, the message of our Gurus. That’s why you see people running out of Gurdwaras after the do “matha tek” or maybe they’ll sit for a few minutes, but only a few.

That’s why this “aartee” business makes me uncomfortable, well one side you have done the “aartee” but what have you learnt from it? How has it benefited you or guided you? If the Guru is the Shabad, then neglecting the Shabad for these additional “acts” is not right in my opinion. If ‘”aartee” or these other acts are done for the simple reason of “respect” for our Guru Ji, then why don’t we just try to respect the Shabad, the Gurbani, by actually listening and practicing?

You can say that waving a Chaur is useless in most western Gurdwaras but wait....ask an elder and they will tell you that the purpose of the Chaur is to keep dust and flies away .....Well dust still exists no matter how good your "ventilation" system is and what is dust comprised of ???? dead skin cells....dead skin cells of the Sangat!!!! So along as there is Sangat in the Darbar, there will be dust.....

Now, "aatee" has no purpose.....

AwrqI kIrqnu sdw Anµd ]

aarathee keerathan sadhaa ana(n)dh ||

His Aartee, his lamp-lit worship service, is the Kirtan of His Praises, which brings lasting bliss.

khY rivdwsu nwmu qyro AwrqI siq nwmu hY hir Bog quhwry ]4]3]

kehai ravidhaas naam thaero aarathee sath naam hai har bhog thuhaarae ||4||3||

Says Ravi Daas, Your Name is my Aartee, my lamp-lit worship-service. The True Name, Sat Naam, is the food which I offer to You. ||4||3||

Ok im at work so ill make it quick, and not gone through all the posts!

Off the top of my head, i heard in a katha mp3 that CHOAR SAHIB together with palkee and channanee are all SIGNS of kings /badshahs!!!! Hence we use these signs with saroops of Dhan Dhan SatGuru Granth Sahib Maharaaj, being Sachey Patshah as opposed to baathshah.

I dont know who came up with the silly notiion of keeping dead flies or wateva away!!! Ridiculous! Pleeeeease as namastang and kam.. have said please read and do khoj of topics b4 jumping on the 'hindu' bandwagon.

ssinghuk i only repeat the views proposed by the sant samaj on this forum and repect their views on how to respect the king of kings sri guru granth sahib ji. Remember Aarti was also performed to kings and again is the sign of a badshah.

i respect everones views on hear and am only sharing views expressed by those vidvaans who guide me. if you have issues on this you can take it up with them when they come to do parchar and they can give you their views in full without me getting something wrong

chardikalla video thanks for sharing .... khalsa is still alive ...

and where in that gurbani quotes guru sahib is saying that arti should not be done ... there are also quotes in gurbani regarding choar sahib ... what about that is it anti sikhi to ????

chardikalla video thanks for sharing .... khalsa is still alive ...

and where in that gurbani quotes guru sahib is saying that arti should not be done ... there are also quotes in gurbani regarding choar sahib ... what about that is it anti sikhi to ????

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

yh i lyk that video as well man, the devotion those Singh's where doing the Aari with man woz jus amaazzinnnnng...

thats wat u call Darshan Rass man....

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

When Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to Jagannaath Puri, Guru Ji saw Brahmins and Pundits performing this "aartee" to their Idols, upon seeing this Guru Ji this Guru Ji announced the following Sahib:

rwgu DnwsrI mhlw 1 ]

raag dhhanaasaree mehalaa 1 ||

Raag Dhanaasaree, First Mehla:

ggn mY Qwlu riv cMdu dIpk bny qwirkw mMfl jnk moqI ]

gagan mai thhaal rav cha(n)dh dheepak banae thaarikaa ma(n)ddal janak mothee ||

Upon that cosmic plate of the sky, the sun and the moon are the lamps. The stars and their orbs are the studded pearls.

DUpu mlAwnlo pvxu cvro kry sgl bnrwie PUlµq joqI ]1]

dhhoop malaaanalo pavan chavaro karae sagal banaraae foola(n)th jothee ||1||

The fragrance of sandalwood in the air is the temple incense, and the wind is the fan. All the plants of the world are the altar flowers in offering to You, O Luminous Lord. ||1||

kYsI AwrqI hoie ] Bv KMfnw qyrI AwrqI ]

kaisee aarathee hoe || bhav kha(n)ddanaa thaeree aarathee ||

What a beautiful Aartee, lamp-lit worship service this is! O Destroyer of Fear, this is Your Ceremony of Light.

Anhqw sbd vwjMq ByrI ]1] rhwau ]

anehathaa sabadh vaaja(n)th bhaeree ||1|| rehaao ||

The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad is the vibration of the temple drums. ||1||Pause||

shs qv nYn nn nYn hih qoih kau shs mUriq nnw eyk quohI ]

sehas thav nain nan nain hehi thohi ko sehas moorath nanaa eaek thuohee ||

You have thousands of eyes, and yet You have no eyes. You have thousands of forms, and yet You do not have even one.

shs pd ibml nn eyk pd gMD ibnu shs qv gMD iev clq mohI ]2]

sehas padh bimal nan eaek padh ga(n)dhh bin sehas thav ga(n)dhh eiv chalath mohee ||2||

You have thousands of Lotus Feet, and yet You do not have even one foot. You have no nose, but you have thousands of noses. This Play of Yours entrances me. ||2||

sB mih joiq joiq hY soie ]

sabh mehi joth joth hai soe ||

Amongst all is the Light-You are that Light.

iqs dY cwnix sB mih cwnxu hoie ]

this dhai chaanan sabh mehi chaanan hoe ||

By this Illumination, that Light is radiant within all.

gur swKI joiq prgtu hoie ]

gur saakhee joth paragatt hoe ||

Through the Guru's Teachings, the Light shines forth.

jo iqsu BwvY su AwrqI hoie ]3]

jo this bhaavai s aarathee hoe ||3||

That which is pleasing to Him is the lamp-lit worship service. ||3||

hir crx kvl mkrMd loiBq mno Anidnuo moih AwhI ipAwsw ]

har charan kaval makara(n)dh lobhith mano anadhinuo mohi aahee piaasaa ||

My mind is enticed by the honey-sweet Lotus Feet of the Lord. Day and night, I thirst for them.

ik®pw jlu dyih nwnk swirMg kau hoie jw qy qyrY nwie vwsw ]4]3]

kirapaa jal dhaehi naanak saari(n)g ko hoe jaa thae thaerai naae vaasaa ||4||3||

Bestow the Water of Your Mercy upon Nanak, the thirsty song-bird, so that he may come to dwell in Your Name. ||4||3||

Guru Ji is rejecting performing this ritual of "aartee", is this the same as when Guru Ji rejected the "janeu"?

Somebody please explain?

(Although I don't agree with what is going on in the video, I have to acknowledge their devoution)

When Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to Jagannaath Puri, Guru Ji saw Brahmins and Pundits performing this "aartee" to their Idols, upon seeing this Guru Ji this Guru Ji announced the following Sahib:

rwgu DnwsrI mhlw 1 ]

raag dhhanaasaree mehalaa 1 ||

Raag Dhanaasaree, First Mehla:

ggn mY Qwlu riv cMdu dIpk bny qwirkw mMfl jnk moqI ]

gagan mai thhaal rav cha(n)dh dheepak banae thaarikaa ma(n)ddal janak mothee ||

Upon that cosmic plate of the sky, the sun and the moon are the lamps. The stars and their orbs are the studded pearls.

DUpu mlAwnlo pvxu cvro kry sgl bnrwie PUlµq joqI ]1]

dhhoop malaaanalo pavan chavaro karae sagal banaraae foola(n)th jothee ||1||

The fragrance of sandalwood in the air is the temple incense, and the wind is the fan. All the plants of the world are the altar flowers in offering to You, O Luminous Lord. ||1||

kYsI AwrqI hoie ] Bv KMfnw qyrI AwrqI ]

kaisee aarathee hoe || bhav kha(n)ddanaa thaeree aarathee ||

What a beautiful Aartee, lamp-lit worship service this is! O Destroyer of Fear, this is Your Ceremony of Light.

Anhqw sbd vwjMq ByrI ]1] rhwau ]

anehathaa sabadh vaaja(n)th bhaeree ||1|| rehaao ||

The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad is the vibration of the temple drums. ||1||Pause||

shs qv nYn nn nYn hih qoih kau shs mUriq nnw eyk quohI ]

sehas thav nain nan nain hehi thohi ko sehas moorath nanaa eaek thuohee ||

You have thousands of eyes, and yet You have no eyes. You have thousands of forms, and yet You do not have even one.

shs pd ibml nn eyk pd gMD ibnu shs qv gMD iev clq mohI ]2]

sehas padh bimal nan eaek padh ga(n)dhh bin sehas thav ga(n)dhh eiv chalath mohee ||2||

You have thousands of Lotus Feet, and yet You do not have even one foot. You have no nose, but you have thousands of noses. This Play of Yours entrances me. ||2||

sB mih joiq joiq hY soie ]

sabh mehi joth joth hai soe ||

Amongst all is the Light-You are that Light.

iqs dY cwnix sB mih cwnxu hoie ]

this dhai chaanan sabh mehi chaanan hoe ||

By this Illumination, that Light is radiant within all.

gur swKI joiq prgtu hoie ]

gur saakhee joth paragatt hoe ||

Through the Guru's Teachings, the Light shines forth.

jo iqsu BwvY su AwrqI hoie ]3]

jo this bhaavai s aarathee hoe ||3||

That which is pleasing to Him is the lamp-lit worship service. ||3||

hir crx kvl mkrMd loiBq mno Anidnuo moih AwhI ipAwsw ]

har charan kaval makara(n)dh lobhith mano anadhinuo mohi aahee piaasaa ||

My mind is enticed by the honey-sweet Lotus Feet of the Lord. Day and night, I thirst for them.

ik®pw jlu dyih nwnk swirMg kau hoie jw qy qyrY nwie vwsw ]4]3]

kirapaa jal dhaehi naanak saari(n)g ko hoe jaa thae thaerai naae vaasaa ||4||3||

Bestow the Water of Your Mercy upon Nanak, the thirsty song-bird, so that he may come to dwell in Your Name. ||4||3||

Guru Ji is rejecting performing this ritual of "aartee", is this the same as when Guru Ji rejected the "janeu"?

Somebody please explain?

2desi, have you read 7 pages long explanation on arti that i posted in this thread? i guess not aie, because if you would have you wouldnt be asking others to further explain.