The Use Of Chairs In Guru Ji's Darbar

shaheedkhalsa.com

Based on the picture the original poster has uploaded I personally would not be troubled if I saw an elderly/disabled person sitting on a chair. At the end of the day we all make own choices and we could chose to sit on a chair in the diwan or we could chose not to sit on a chair in the diwan.

I once say a disabled lady climb up 2 flights of stairs of the GuruGhar and then crawl past the crowded Sangat to perform a "matha tek" in front of Maharaj. To me that was one of the most inspirational sights I had ever seen.

When we start looking at Karam etc. I think the danger is that we can become judgemental about who and why someone is sitting in the diwan. Like my mum always tells me just let people do darshan as they choose, at the end of the day each of us have a personal relationship with Maharaj which is unique. All we should be doing at this stage is focusing on our relationship not pondering over someone else’s Karam.

Sarabloh, I agree we shouldn't be judjemental. If someone person has an affliction then there is no need to be judgemental or gloat or look down because we could be in the same position the very next day.

As you say ,each to their own, I have no porblem with this all I am saying is that we should be aware of the consequences of our actions. If a person sits all his life on a chair in darbar sahib he may never know what consequences are building up for him in future lives. This needs to be explained to all, at the end of the day I a'int going to go arouond removing chairs from darbar sahibs, it will be a personel choice, but the trend is dangerous. soon we will complain that our Goray friends cannot sit on the floor and should be allowed chairs, where does it end ?

I know I am really ignorant, but why de we sit on the floor? Why can't we sit on chairs and have the Maharaj Ji at an elevated level like the pulpit (?) in a church?

I don't think it si a religious conviction, but more the fact that traditionally in India, people have sat on the floor or cross-legged on manjia. As thousands of people would congregate first to our great Gurus, then to Gurdwaras, rather than erecting thousands of benches, it was easier and cheaper to sit on the floor.

So in other words, the tradition to sit on the floor came about because of our poor heritage as opposed to God's will. My parents say it is so everyone sits at the same level. But you can do that on benches.

Personally, I don't mind sitting on the floor even when I am carrying sporting injuries (lol) but it seems to make sense to me in this day and age to make it easier for everyone.

Having said all that, there IS somethign more spiritual about sitting on the floor. More natural. You are literally touching the Earth, i.e a solid structure embdedded into the Earth. That's just me thinking aloud though.

Personally, I don't mind sitting on the floor even when I am carrying sporting injuries (lol) but it seems to make sense to me in this day and age to make it easier for everyone.

it is easy to just cut our hair so we dont have to tie a dastaar.

it is easy to eat whatever one can get a hand on due to busy life.

it is easy not to do paath, and go onto work or school and spend more time there .....

it is easy to sleep with someone for lust

it is easy to talk behind people's back for kan rus

it is easy to look at other's in a lustfull way

in case you haven't noticed, usually, "easy" way is the wrong way.

and before anyone lectures me on physical disability, i'll have you know that i've had such a severe back injury that i wasn't able to walk for 2 days.

exceptions can be made for special cases, elderly and physcially disabled.

omg..............she's sitting on a chair!?!!?!

SHE'S OLD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, obviosly has problems walking! she is just deserved for the chair.

the people who are young and like most of us blessed ppl (physicaly speaking) and sit on chairs in the langar hall re the pople you should be posting such threads about, not some old bibi.

REQUEST TO MOD, delete the pictures please, the bibi is not at fault, her face does not need to been gloated on a forum like this.

Just want people's opinion on the use of chairs in Guru Ji’s Darbar, its starting to be an alarming tend.

Yes ban chairs.

Also ban microphones because we did not have those at the time of Guru Nanak

Also ban taps because we did not have those at the time of Guru Nanak and draw water from the well.

Also ban gas cookers because we did not have those at the time of Guru Nanak

Also ban central heating because we did not have those at the time of Guru Nanak

Also ban chips and pizza because we did not have those at the time of Guru Nanak

Also ban air conditioning because we did not have those at the time of Guru Nanak

Also ban carpets because we did not have those at the time of Guru Nanak

I think we should try and ban as many things as we can and turn Sikhism into a fanatical religion and act like a bunch of cavemen.

PS for those of who don't understand this is meant to be sarcastic. I cannot believe the lunacy of this post and the entire chairs topic. We should never have listened to those masands in Amritsar and removed chairs in the fist place.

On a side note I went to Pahari Wala Gurudwara in Delhi recently and there was an entire seating area of chairs in the Darbar Hall. I think our Sikhs are more progressive in India than the backward Bumpkins here.

Well sorry I am not Panjabi or Indian and I sit on the floor in the darbar and in the langar.There simply is no excuse even for non Sikhs.For elderly people or handicaped people the case i different. Chairs should be provided as well as cushions if they wish to sit on the floor but lean on something.